Mack/Louisville out

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
joeabe

Re: Mack/Louisville out

Postby joeabe » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:58 am

Wow!! So, the players knew he was gone all along!! Did our administration know ? Was it obvious and known his assistant would move to the drivers seat?
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:14 pm

Not even Bill Murray sitting behind the bench could change the out come. Heard that Rick Pitino was buying drinks for everyone at the Vatican.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:14 pm

joeabe wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:15 am
Help me out please? I am so far removed geographically from Cincy I have not a clue as to what you all are referring to about Mack and his leaving Xavier. It seems you guys knew about his departure in the middle of last season? It seems from your conversation a very good X team tanked in the NCAA's bowing out in the 2nd round and he failed to recruit for X and possibly was recruiting for Louisville the entire time> Is this about right?
It seems you guys knew about his departure in the middle of last season?

Nope, at the beginning of X's season last year. Supposedly, after Pitino was booted, his camp reached out to L-Ville, and a deal in principle was consummated before the season began. To his credit, he reportedly told Christopher. I don't blame him for taking the job and think it was the right decision to let him coach the year out. They had a team built for the FF, and the best person to reach that goal was CM, in theory.

The players also found out, and word is Scruggs and Marshall were livid. However, i don't think that was CM's fault imo.

However, a recruit, can't remember who (possibly David Johnson) said verbatim, before the year started that, "Coach Mack said I could play for him whether it was at X or Louisville." He also said (paraphrasing) on ESPN that he couldn't recruit the kind of players he needed to win the national championship at X, and told recruits he turned a mediocre program at X into a top 10 program. He neglected to tell said recruits the team actually went to two Elite 8's twice in six years before he woke up on 3rd base. Stay Classy San Diego.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:49 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:14 pm
joeabe wrote:
Help me out please? I am so far removed geographically from Cincy I have not a clue as to what you all are referring to about Mack and his leaving Xavier. It seems you guys knew about his departure in the middle of last season? It seems from your conversation a very good X team tanked in the NCAA's bowing out in the 2nd round and he failed to recruit for X and possibly was recruiting for Louisville the entire time> Is this about right?

Nope, at the beginning of X's season last year. Supposedly, after Pitino was booted, his camp reached out to L-Ville, and a deal in principle was consummated before the season began. To his credit, he reportedly told Christopher. I don't blame him for taking the job and think it was the right decision to let him coach the year out. They had a team built for the FF, and the best person to reach that goal was CM, in theory.
If so, hmmm ... good question. Guess I may have leaned in the direction Michigan AD Bo Schembechler took in 1989 when Coach Bill Frieder announced pre-NCAA tournament that was taking the Arizona State job. Bo bounced Coach Frieder, elevated Assistant Coach Steve Fisher to the Head Coaching spot, and the Wolverines went on to win the NCAA Championship.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:52 am

Thanks AH......some enlightening info!!!! That explains much about the team play last season. I don't blame him either for taking the U of L job. Just wished the timing were different. I watched some of the game yesterday and his team is all about offense. They lack defensive toughness just like Xavier under him.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:10 pm

ChitownSteve wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:49 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:14 pm
joeabe wrote:

If so, hmmm ... good question. Guess I may have leaned in the direction Michigan AD Bo Schembechler took in 1989 when Coach Bill Frieder announced pre-NCAA tournament that was taking the Arizona State job. Bo bounced Coach Frieder, elevated Assistant Coach Steve Fisher to the Head Coaching spot, and the Wolverines went on to win the NCAA Championship.
Chitown,

Objectively, I agree with your thinking. CM was kind of a hired gun last year, but I was thought last year's team was proabably the one most capable to make it to the FF. I was also thinking of the seniors, especially JP and Tre, though I don't want to diminsh O'Mara's contributions, nor Kantner's. IMO, JP and Tre elevated X's identity as a legitimate, high level program, more than any tandem in their history.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:32 pm

based on all that has been said does anyone think that firing Chris and making TS coach last year might have been a better move? TS certainly got his team to play better D and if he could have done that for last years team, with all the scoring, X might have gone a bit deeper into the tourney. The con is with a new coach he would like he did, have to get his feet on the ground and be confident with his calls but the experience of the team might have helped overcome those first-time jitters. It could have gone either way in my opinion.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:53 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:32 pm
based on all that has been said does anyone think that firing Chris and making TS coach last year might have been a better move? TS certainly got his team to play better D and if he could have done that for last years team, with all the scoring, X might have gone a bit deeper into the tourney. The con is with a new coach he would like he did, have to get his feet on the ground and be confident with his calls but the experience of the team might have helped overcome those first-time jitters. It could have gone either way in my opinion.

Maybe the real question, which we will ever know the answer, is what would Mike Bobinski have done?

Would it have been handled in the same manner or a sayonara given? You fellows would have a better sense on that question.

However, X disappointed in the Tournament and recruiting obviously suffered. Hindsight is 20-20. Given the illuminating information A-H and others have provided in this thread, and my own experience, if a fellow has his foot out the door, you always make sure both of them are. You can never fool players or recruits.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:10 pm

My two cents... it would be really important to know when Christopher found out. If this came across his desk April 1st, moving on would have made sense perhaps (especially for recruiting as we found out).

But if it was August and guys were getting back to campus it would be unfair to just fire their coach when they have no chance to get used to the new guy/new system and even potentially transfer in the young guys’ case.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:24 am

lionelchalmers0 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:10 pm
My two cents... it would be really important to know when Christopher found out. If this came across his desk April 1st, moving on would have made sense perhaps (especially for recruiting as we found out).

But if it was August and guys were getting back to campus it would be unfair to just fire their coach when they have no chance to get used to the new guy/new system and even potentially transfer in the young guys’ case.
Mack didn't sign anything with Louisville so if X fired him, they would have to pay a significant buyout to Mack. Perhaps they could have relieved him as a coach but keep him on contract but don't know how you do that- X really had no choice and as it turned out. The best case scenario would have been for Mack to tell X and allow Louisville to pay them out prior to the season but who really knows when this was a done deal. I also heard that Mack knew he was the primary target and likely leaving before the season. Also heard that Mack knew in in principle the details of the contract in Jan and had done everything but sign. This was truly a situation where everyone in the college basketball world knew what was going on but X could not do anything about it.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”