Talk XU Men's basketball here...
SC in DC

BEARCATS BOMB OUT

Postby SC in DC » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:29 pm

AGAIN!!!!
SC in DC

Re: BEARCATS BOMB OUT

Postby SC in DC » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:32 pm

They said 7th consecutive year they haven't made it out of the first weekend! Great job Cronin.
yellow20xd

Postby yellow20xd » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:11 pm

Ouch... Dan
“Wins go on the mantle. Losses go in your soul."
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:54 pm

In Verne Shroyer's presser, a reporter said, "You had a great year, with 27 wins and winning the AAC tourney, but ultimately, you'll be judged by your performance on the NCAAs. How do you feel about that?" He said, "I'm judged by the great kids I have on my team (paraphrasing)." On the surface, it sounds like an appropriate, and even poignant answer, if you didn't know Mick.

First of all, the arrogance to assume that his players, who do seem like good kids for the most part, turned out that way because of HIM. How about their parents, their friends, girlfriends, teachers, and others? Certainly, he played a role, but he has to once again change the narrative of his putrid performance in the tourney by acting like he has a higher calling. That's like if Harvard graduated 99% of their students, but their academic ranking dropped from 1st to the 60th best college, and the provost said, "Well, crime in our student body hasn't increased under my watch."

Being good students and human beings are part of a coach's responsibility, and while they should get credit if that can be said of his players, it is still an expectation, not overachievement. Someone should tell him smug, obnoxious, and arrogant is no way to go thru life.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:29 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:54 pm
In Verne Shroyer's presser, a reporter said, "You had a great year, with 27 wins and winning the AAC tourney, but ultimately, you'll be judged by your performance on the NCAAs. How do you feel about that?" He said, "I'm judged by the great kids I have on my team (paraphrasing)." On the surface, it sounds like an appropriate, and even poignant answer, if you didn't know Mick.

First of all, the arrogance to assume that his players, who do seem like good kids for the most part, turned out that way because of HIM. How about their parents, their friends, girlfriends, teachers, and others? Certainly, he played a role, but he has to once again change the narrative of his putrid performance in the tourney by acting like he has a higher calling. That's like if Harvard graduated 99% of their students, but their academic ranking dropped from 1st to the 60th best college, and the provost said, "Well, crime in our student body hasn't increased under my watch."

Being good students and human beings are part of a coach's responsibility, and while they should get credit if that can be said of his players, it is still an expectation, not overachievement. Someone should tell him smug, obnoxious, and arrogant is no way to go thru life.
Not to be combative but I cannot think of much of a better response. It is basically telling the reporter to piss off without being as abrasive.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:45 pm

Jesseandrippers wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:29 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:54 pm

Not to be combative but I cannot think of much of a better response. It is basically telling the reporter to piss off without being as abrasive.
You have a right to your opinion, and frankly, if those words came out of Skip Prosser's mouth, I think it would be genuine. However, considering the source.....................
muskienick

Postby muskienick » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:47 pm

I do not agree with the above statement; It fully repudiates every last one of his post-game wrap-up shows when he criticized his players for losing or not playing up to his expectations. It's NEVER his fault for a loss or even a win when he considers his kids not giving it their all. I have never met a player of any sport at this level (or even a step lower than this) who went on the floor, field, diamond, track, court, or mat with a laissez-faire attitude. When was the last time you heard a competitive kid (young adult) say, "Big F-ing deal! Let's go get a beer! And don't mistake it --- Cronin has good, competitive kids on his teams!
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, & Mack represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. AD Christopher and Head Coach Steele will bring us to an even higher level!
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:35 am

Little Mick's MO is always to deflect his failure as a coach to some other issue.
Just like when Mack outcoached him 2 years ago.
He deflected the issue to saying JP Macura cussed him out.
Complete and total deflection.

Here is his post game press conference for Iowa game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSdXl9RA2NY&t=20s

Makes a comment about Iowa being ranked in the top 25 more weeks than UC.
Of course he neglects to acknowledge the fact that Iowa had lost 5 out of their last 6 games coming into the tournament.
So Iowa was a team on the ropes and UC has a 18-5 lead and instead of blowing Iowa out, McCaffery makes some adjustments, i.e going to a zone and Little Mick gets out coached - again.
He also cast aspersions on the refs with saying Bohannon moved his pivot foot on a couple of made shots. I watched the highlights and kid just made some good moves and made some good shots.
Lastly, he threw his players under the bus - as he always does - with saying they took a lot of dumb shots.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
mumuskie87

Postby mumuskie87 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:23 am

Little Mick needs to be commended for saving the UC athletic department a lot of money in travel expenses over the last 9 years.
Have had to incur travel expenses for the 2nd weekend of the tournament just once in the last 9 years.
UC needs to give him a bonus for his cost containment efforts.
And that's with being seeded as lower seed (8 or lower) 7 of the 9 years.
His record as a lower seed against a higher seed is 5-3 and as a higher seed has only won once against a lower seed - that was as a 6 seed. 1-6 in total as a higher seed.
Great job Little Mick
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:31 pm

IMO the bottom line with Mick is adjustments against teams he doesn't know well. I honestly believe he coaches defensive concepts very well but they seem to "forget" what they learn during the tourney. UC will always do well in that conference (although it is improving) because its a high mid major conference and UC does have better players. I think Mick/UC are so comfortable with those teams and know them so well which is why they do so well in conference. Once they get to the tourney, even with leads, the other team seems to make adjustments and UC who can stop the likes of teams in the AAC (and X sometimes due to the familiarity) but Iowa, Nevada,GW) have gotten the better of them. At the end of the day, you have to be able to score (see Xavier this year) and if you can't run an efficient offense or create mismatches for your players, you are too easy to guard. UC's offense is all about isolating Cumberland at the elbow extended and he looks for a shot. If he is guarded well, then they better hope Jennifer/Broome can hit a shot. Next year if Cumberland comes back, Samari Curtis may have a decent season but the following year may be very difficult for them.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”