X losses are very similar

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-Expert

X losses are very similar

Postby X-Expert » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:43 pm

Just like the Nova game, X had their chances. Free throws by starting five were 7-18. Best game clearly was Jones who despite his FT shooting was 10-12. Goodin was also 5-7 shooting with 5 assists and one turnover. Hankins was 6-8 shooting as he has another great game. Scruggs had a bad shooting but at least had 4 TOs on 2 assists. Marshall had 19 points but his decision making (and Steeles giving him a very very very long leash) haunted X again. The last possession he took down a rebound and goodin was there but he chose to dribble length of court -was turned away so he decided to take a turn around jumper from the wing. Its very easy to guard when you don't give the ball up. Once again, their worse shooter in the starting lineup percentage wise takes the most shots by 7. the only shot almost as bad as the turn around jumper was his 30 foot jumper early in the shot clock when X was down 3. Thats on Steele. Naji shot over 50% last year because the majority of his shots were inside. Naji is a very selfish player who has appears to have an extremely high opinion of his offensive prowess anywhere on the court. It is on the coach to reign him in. Next year, X will have some good freshmen who will likely be better outside shooters than the existing team (maybe not Scruggs). My hope is that Marshall and Goodin realize that but based on what we have seen with Marshall, i don't see it. Therefore, I really hope that Steele reigns him in or X will be just a little better than this year,
mumuskie87

Re: X losses are very similar

Postby mumuskie87 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:21 pm

It's funny to read in Xavier Media Guide the following -
In Naji Marshall's bio - question - "What's the best thing about me as a player" - His answer - "I am a willing and able passer". :o
I don't think so sir.
Here are the KenPom offensive ratings this year for X -
1) Hankins - 128.7
2) Welage - 125.2
3) Jones - 119.4
4) Castlin - 106.0
5) Scruggs - 105.0
6) Goodin - 96.0
7) Marshall - 95.1
8) Harden - 88.5

Marshall took the most 3's on the team and had the worst shooting % - 27.7%
Marshall took the most 2's on the team and had the 3nd worst shooting % - 47.6% Goodin was worst at 43.1% and Harden was 2nd worst at 45% but Hardend only shot 20 times from 2.
He thinks he is The Man but he doesn't have the talent to be The Man.
The best thing X can do is have Stanley Burrell mentor him on being the defensive shut down guy. He can be and is at times an outstanding defensive player. That needs to be his MO.
And go back to his quote in the media guide - be a willing and able passer.
Otherwise I agree with X-Expert - Steele needs to reign him in or next year won't be a whole lot better.
Last edited by mumuskie87 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sports is a coffee break."
Al McGuire
"If someone offers to double your money, walk away. If he offers to make you 20 %, hear him out."
Al McGuire
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:35 pm

Ask Hankins and Welage if Marshall is a good and willing passer and the answer is no. Marshall needs to realize he is not a guard. I have yet to see a game where Q’ Naji, and Scruggs all play well.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:58 am

skyhops wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:35 pm
Ask Hankins and Welage if Marshall is a good and willing passer and the answer is no. Marshall needs to realize he is not a guard. I have yet to see a game where Q’ Naji, and Scruggs all play well.
i hope all 3 of them subscribe to the Tu Holloway school of getting up 10,000 shots this summer. possibly more because if they don't work on their 3 pt shooting, but still think they're as good at 3's as they WEREN'T this season, we will see much of the same.

hopefully a little more depth on the bench will be able to help with that as well.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:32 am

Agree 100%. I'm know that they all practice free throws and 3 point shots, but it is the ability to make good decisions and well as shots and FT's in the last few minutes of games that has really hurt this team. Goodin had a good game yesterday, but he hits a free throw with 2 seconds left and we win. Hankins had a good game against Nova, but he makes a Ft at the end and we most likely win. Goodin is a junior and Hankins a senior that shouldn't happen.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:45 pm

Naji, Q, and Paul need to banish from their minds that Kobe fade shot because it doesn't get you to the line. Watching games yesterday I saw the players that failed were more prone to do the Kobe fade and the ones that scored were the one that made contact going up for shots. I hope shots this offseason are taken seriously and we see improvement and I really hope that Freemantle, Kyky, Dahmir, and Dieonte Miles can contribute. I hear Dahmir's strength is that he has good range shooting both off the dribble and off the catch which is better than these shooters that have to be set up. Hope they all can get in the weight room and build themselves up. I want them to push the starters of this year.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:05 pm

Good point MM about the starters being pushed. I doubt that Marshall felt any pressure from Harden or Kennedy. The fadeway Kobe/Dwade shot was probably instilled in them during AAU. I know that Tandy and Bishop will contribute right away. Still interested in Hardens and James plans next year. I heard AH is consulting both
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:53 pm

skyhops wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:05 pm
Good point MM about the starters being pushed. I doubt that Marshall felt any pressure from Harden or Kennedy. The fadeway Kobe/Dwade shot was probably instilled in them during AAU. I know that Tandy and Bishop will contribute right away. Still interested in Hardens and James plans next year. I heard AH is consulting both
[/quote) That's too bad to hear. He has messed up many a kid, teaching them the two-handed set shot. If Bishop is as good as I hear the deep shoot might me back but X needs more than 1 great shooter. As for Kyky we know he can dunk on a 7'2" guy so he has hops but is more off the ball player. I'd like to get a real point that has the ball on a string type dribble.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:55 pm

At every game I attended this year, Naji and Paul spent the entire shoot around shooting 3’s from one spot, the corner opposite the opponents bench. I felt much more comfortable with Naji shooting 3’s from that corner. If they choose to shoot 10,000 shots / threes this summer, I hope it’s from various spots on the floor. I think that would also help.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:44 pm

not sure how tandy shot from 3 this year but last year was over 40%. Keep in mind JP shot about 35% but did so many things and was extremely unselfish that you didn't notice the misses. Also, his shots were typically taken in stride or in the framework of the offense. I think X is really going after one of the grad transfers who can shoot. Two that they are looking at shot 42% this past year. I do believe they will also get either Zach Harvey or Ben Roderick. Roderick wants OSU then X in that order but if Diallo goes to OSU, they have no scholarships left. I think X may have the inside track on Harvey.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”