Jason Carter

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
longliveskip

Re: Jason Carter

Postby longliveskip » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:10 am

kyzrex wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:30 am
Doesn’t appear to be the “stretch” type of forward, based on the video and his stats. More of a driver and postup type player. Lots of moves around the low post. Only took 2.2 3-pointers a game and made .7 per game. Averaged 6.7 rebounds per game, and you don’t do that by hanging around the outside. Looks to be able to catch on the outside and then drive to the low post area, doesn’t need to just set up low and be fed.

I like this pick up very much, but I don’t see him adding a lot to the outside shooting ability of next year’s squad. However, I really think that KyKy and Bishop are going to help A LOT in that area, so he might not need to. He will give X some additional inside experience and proven ability to score and rebound. Something that after the graduation of Hankins, X really needed.

If Kennedy and/or James leave, look for an additional pickup that will address that area of concern. I hope they both stay, but in today’s college basketball world you have to expect a transfer or two loss every year.
his 3 pt % went from 20% his frosh year to 34% his soph year. 34% would lead this year's team (almost) so if he has another off-season of improvement he can easily have that as part of his arsenal, which is something this team desperately needs
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:47 am

James has the same potential skill set and size as Carter, but lacks the experience. Hope he can learn and contribute if not next year, maybe junior year. Instead of transferring, he could redshirt; practice all year; continue to get stronger and learn the system. It would even out our classes and if he left, he'd have to sit a year anyway. Why not sit out at X. I am sure it would not be the first time someone took this route.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:16 pm

Great pickup particularly since he has 2 years eligibility.Also we will be nice to have a big guy who can shoot from outside
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:16 pm

i think he is a good get as he seems to be pretty polished offensively. However, I think it is asking a lot if people are expecting him to be a pure stretch 4 (like a Kaiser Gates). He improved from 20-34% from 3 but didn't take too many shots from deep (only took 67 shots). I'm still hopeful for another high quality shooter for next year in addition to Carter. I know that we are all hoping that Bishop and Tandy will be a vast improvement in shooting but other than then, the tentative starting lineup (as indicated in the article) lacks outside shooting: Q, Scruggs, Marshall, Carter, and Jones
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:31 pm

X-Expert wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:16 pm
i think he is a good get as he seems to be pretty polished offensively. However, I think it is asking a lot if people are expecting him to be a pure stretch 4 (like a Kaiser Gates). He improved from 20-34% from 3 but didn't take too many shots from deep (only took 67 shots). I'm still hopeful for another high quality shooter for next year in addition to Carter. I know that we are all hoping that Bishop and Tandy will be a vast improvement in shooting but other than then, the tentative starting lineup (as indicated in the article) lacks outside shooting: Q, Scruggs, Marshall, Carter, and Jones
I have no illusions that he will be a stretch 4 like KG. However, even if he is a threat from even 17 feet out, I'll take it. As effective as Jones and Hankins were together, their range extended out to five feet, so the lanes were clogged. That didn't bode well for slashers who shoot poorly from outside.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Rumor is X ain't done yet. A wing-shooter who can spell Marshall when he gets "gun-itis" which he has been afflicted all year, would be a welcomed addition. He has tremendous talent, but lacks a high bball I.Q, and was taught that there is an I in team. Muskieman was his teacher apparently.
xavier71

Postby xavier71 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:27 pm

How's this for irony. My son and I are at the Ohio U game. Sitting next to us are two girls, both OU students. My son, who played on multiple levels and is a very good judge of talent, is very impressed with Jason Cater. He asks the girls if they know him and one says she does. My son jokingly tells her to ask Jason if he would transfer to Xavier. Maybe next year we will have two students from Oakland sitting next to us so we can tell them to ask their point guard to transfer to X.
On another note: I don't want anybody to think I'm putting anyone down, but 33% from three is very acceptable. Team A goes 6 for 12 from inside the arc for 50% - good shooting. Team B goes 4 for 12 behind the arc for 33% - tie game. Good shooters can get up to 40% or higher. Problem is when you dip below 33%. If Goodin and Marshall shoot 33% from 3 we might still be playing.
harryfe

Postby harryfe » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:44 pm

To date Q and Naji have been terrible 3 point shooters. A good 3 point shooter has to be above 38%
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:33 am

harryfe wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:44 pm
To date Q and Naji have been terrible 3 point shooters. A good 3 point shooter has to be above 38%
anything hovering around the 40% range(38-44 or better) is GREAT, not GOOD.

as stated, if Q and Naji can get anywhere from 33-35%(this would be considered GOOD) from 3 while taking HALF of the number of 3's they took this past season, we would all be ecstatic.
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:10 am

kyzrex wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:30 am
Doesn’t appear to be the “stretch” type of forward, based on the video and his stats. More of a driver and postup type player. Lots of moves around the low post. Only took 2.2 3-pointers a game and made .7 per game. Averaged 6.7 rebounds per game, and you don’t do that by hanging around the outside. Looks to be able to catch on the outside and then drive to the low post area, doesn’t need to just set up low and be fed.

I like this pick up very much, but I don’t see him adding a lot to the outside shooting ability of next year’s squad. However, I really think that KyKy and Bishop are going to help A LOT in that area, so he might not need to. He will give X some additional inside experience and proven ability to score and rebound. Something that after the graduation of Hankins, X really needed.

If Kennedy and/or James leave, look for an additional pickup that will address that area of concern. I hope they both stay, but in today’s college basketball world you have to expect a transfer or two loss every year.
Verbal commits has KK going.
https://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2019
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”