Jason Carter

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
kyzrex

Re: Jason Carter

Postby kyzrex » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:53 pm

JTG wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:17 pm

Um, wasn't Stainbrook from the MAC ? He was pretty damn good.
There are exceptions over the years, but they are just that...exceptions.

I’m just saying that we need to temper expectations with what has been reality, especially recent history. Recent MAC transfers have not fared as well as the Big Stain did. He turned out to be a great surprise and a key component of those Xavier teams.

I certainly hope that he will becomes an all-star, but I’m not counting on it. I do think that he will turn out to be an excellent addition and will be quite valuable in many ways. But I certainly don’t expect 17 points and 7 rebounds a game.....more like 8-10 and 3-5, which would really be nice and would really complement what others will bring to the table. The real question is not if he can be a plus on the offensive end, it’s can he be a plus defensively, or at least not be someone that they have to hide? Welly was certainly a great shooter, even if he didn’t always show it, but his inability to play defense caused the team to have to hide him by playing zone much of the time that he was in there. If Carter can compete defensively man to man, then he will be a real plus and a great addition to the team.
#WHYNOTX?
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:23 pm

mumuskie87 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:36 pm
kyzrex wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:55 pm
mumuskie87 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:07 pm

Mr Carter shot 71% from the FT line.
Better than Jones - 64% and Hankins - 61%

However, Jones and Hankins both shot better from 2 - 62% and 69% - than Carter -who was at 51%

Carter shot 35% from 3 which is equivalent of shooting 52% from 2.

He averaged about 30 minutes per game.

Think he will help provide some inside support for Jones next year but Hankins will be very tough to replace, IMO.
Carter is not like Jones and Hankins. Much more of a driver who can also shoot the 3 at times (averages a little over 2 per game). He’s not the type of player that sets up on the low block and asks for players to pass it to him there. Much better “shooter” than either Hankins or Jones. Hankins and Jones were “dunkers” for the most part, not real shooters. Carter likes to shoot, and he can score with either hand around the rim and on hook shots.

Need to keep in mind that MAC transfers, even good MAC scorers, do not have a great history of becoming impact players at their new schools. Don’t expect Carter to come in and do in the BE what he did in the MAC.
Neither Jones or Hankins had an outside shot but would argue that Hankins was much more than a "dunker".
He was quite good shooting with both hands and had a very effective hook shot.
Carter will not come close to averaging 16 PPG for X. Think he will be an 8-10 PPG with 5-6 RPG.
Agreed. He developed A very effective 8-foot hook shot. I think he was arguably the best all-around player in the BE this year. If you told me I could take any player from this team's roster for four more years, it would be Hankins, hands down.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:28 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:55 pm
mumuskie87 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:07 pm

Mr Carter shot 71% from the FT line.
Better than Jones - 64% and Hankins - 61%

However, Jones and Hankins both shot better from 2 - 62% and 69% - than Carter -who was at 51%

Carter shot 35% from 3 which is equivalent of shooting 52% from 2.

He averaged about 30 minutes per game.

Think he will help provide some inside support for Jones next year but Hankins will be very tough to replace, IMO.
Carter is not like Jones and Hankins. Much more of a driver who can also shoot the 3 at times (averages a little over 2 per game). He’s not the type of player that sets up on the low block and asks for players to pass it to him there. Much better “shooter” than either Hankins or Jones. Hankins and Jones were “dunkers” for the most part, not real shooters. Carter likes to shoot, and he can score with either hand around the rim and on hook shots.

Need to keep in mind that MAC transfers, even good MAC scorers, do not have a great history of becoming impact players at their new schools. Don’t expect Carter to come in and do in the BE what he did in the MAC.
Agreed on your assessment of his skillset, as he is more like Justin Doellman, than our two bigs. He has a good motor as well. I think X is still trying to get a traditional post player for this class, or better yet, a wing who can shoot. I also don't think anyone has any expectations he will duplicate the same numbers. If he can draw the opposing team's 4 from the lane due to his (hopefully) decent outside shooting, that will help the three slashers, two of which should limit their shots outside of 12 feet as it is.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”