Talent...

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
yellow20xd

Talent...

Postby yellow20xd » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:05 pm

Did anyone get the same sinking feeling while watching the Purdue -v- Virginia game that X is seriously lacking talent to compete at that level???... Could any of X starters have even been part time contributors on either squad... I watched two Purdue tournament games and Evan Boudreaux didn't sniff the floor in either game and us X fans were devastated when he switched and left for Purdue... Let's hope Coach Steele can bring in the next level recruits... Dan
“Wins go on the mantle. Losses go in your soul."
Jesseandrippers

Re: Talent...

Postby Jesseandrippers » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:39 am

yellow20xd wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:05 pm
Did anyone get the same sinking feeling while watching the Purdue -v- Virginia game that X is seriously lacking talent to compete at that level???... Could any of X starters have even been part time contributors on either squad... I watched two Purdue tournament games and Evan Boudreaux didn't sniff the floor in either game and us X fans were devastated when he switched and left for Purdue... Let's hope Coach Steele can bring in the next level recruits... Dan
Lost year brotha. Hopefully not many more while we reload. X has had Final Four talent in the past. We will get another shot.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:59 am

I disagree. We certainly didn’t have a carsen Edwards type this year but we’ve had many in the past. And a lot of times those guys are the difference.

I actuallly think though that Naji, Scruggs, and Jones and probably even Hankins get lots of minutes on any of these teams.

We never got to see bourdreux here so it’s hard to comment on.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:47 am

Difference between those teams and X come down to a good point guard and players that can hit threes. Both Winston and the Pg for auburn were the reason they won. Our Pg can’t hit a free throw when it matters and is one of the worse shooters ever at X. This teams in final four do not go 0 for 3 in overtime. I didn’t even add in our best players shot selection.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:09 am

lionelchalmers0 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:59 am
I disagree. We certainly didn’t have a carsen Edwards type this year but we’ve had many in the past. And a lot of times those guys are the difference.

I actuallly think though that Naji, Scruggs, and Jones and probably even Hankins get lots of minutes on any of these teams.

We never got to see bourdreux here so it’s hard to comment on.
The real miss was Neon Boudeaux. Was on nobody’s radar. Cant miss on guys like that. Thats what separates Nolte’s from the rest of the coaching world I guess.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:42 am

"Hops spot on. Talent is tremendous as is the luxury of having a few kids that can fill it up. But in march it's all about the PG. Running the O well, moving the ball, creating flow and angles. Then either pushing the ball for a shot or drive himself or distributing at the right moment, In other words, what % of possessions do you get a good shot, meaning a somewhat open shot from a player who is adept at making that type of shot. In crucial moments of tight games, X struggled to get enough of those good shots. Q tries, and granted, players like MSU's Winston do not grow on trees. But the difference between Q and Winston in game management and effectiveness is greater than Mercury to Pluto. Maybe not even all Q's fault. From day one he came in as an athletic slasher/scorer more than a true PG. Vanilla Ice then solved that problem by bringing in a similar player in our beloved Scruggernaught. Both these kids can play the game of basketball at a fairly high level. Neither is a PG.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:51 pm

POINT GUARD IS THE HUGE DIFFERENCE.....also noticed the winning teams play good hustling defense....as we did the last half of the season. I am encouraged by our D.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:56 pm

Good true point guards are hard to find these days especially among high end recruits. The position has evolved a lot to being a position where point guards are meant to be scorers (see Westbrook, curry, harden, etc).

A lot of these guys coming up want to be those guys and not Steve Nash.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:43 pm

And yet what comes to mind is that we took Auburn to overtime early in a season of change. Glass half full!
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
XU80

Postby XU80 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:40 pm

Watching Kentucky's guard play is exhibit one. Hagans and Herro were horrible. No wonder UK fans are screaming they lost out on KyKy.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”