Mick Cronin to UCLA

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
joeabe

Mick Cronin to UCLA

Postby joeabe » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:20 am

Reports he is a finalist for the UCLA job? Others have a much higher opinion of him than many on this board. He must have a good rep in the industry as this is one of the top jobs in all of bb.
muskieman

Re: Mick Cronin

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:30 pm

per a number of sources: Jamie Dixon and Mick Cronin have emerged as the top candidates at UCLA, according to the LA Times, "after a bevy of more coveted coaches expressed no interest."
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
XU80

Postby XU80 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:35 pm

It WAS a premium College job. Now it has become the graveyard job, Of the last 5 coaches only Jim Harrick has won over 70% of his games as coach. Can't imagine Cronin would be more successful than Howland, Lavin or Alford. He has no ties to that west coast market. Like Vegas, just trying to squeeze more out of UC.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:43 pm

XU80 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:35 pm
It WAS a premium College job. Now it has become the graveyard job, Of the last 5 coaches only Jim Harrick has won over 70% of his games as coach. Can't imagine Cronin would be more successful than Howland, Lavin or Alford. He has no ties to that west coast market. Like Vegas, just trying to squeeze more out of UC.
even though that comment was made by a number of sports people I agree that he is negotating with UC for a new contract and UC has verified they are in discussions
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:38 pm

Alford made the sweet 16 3 times in 5 years and got fired. I think mick knows his 1 sweet 16 every 13 years is not going to meet LA expectations. This is for leverage with uc only.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:24 pm

Its definitely the devil you know scenario for UC. This reminds me of when Skip went to Wake. Skip won one tourney game in eight years and I liked Skip but was happy for X to get another coach-Matta really changed a lot for X from scheduling to a nice coaching tree of Miller-Mack. Mick was hardly in their initial top 5 candidates but Calipari turned them down and I don't see Bennett having an interest. UCLA have talked to representatives for Jim Harrick (you know its ok now to go after coaches that have cheated in the past like Kelvin Sampson and Bruce Pearl) and Thad Matta. At the end of the day, I believe its Jamie Dixon's job if he wants it but don't know if they will be able to get him there. I don't think Mick is using them like UNLV. I think he truly sees the anxiousness of the fanbase and frankly, UC will be losing their best player either now or after next year and there isn't that much help coming in-at least not yet. Heck a month ago when UC had one loss in the AAC, there was this great dad story about how Mick's daughter wouldn't leave so don't come calling until she gets out of high school. Mick would be running from something here rather than running to something but may be his best option. As for UCLA, there are many worse candidates than Mick. I don't disagree that having no current historical ties to the west coast can be an issue but I'm sure he will get coaches that know that market very well. the UCLA name will get some good players too. I think Mick leaves if offered. For him and UC, that would be the best scenario. I really hope he stays. He keeps X as the winning program in Cincinnati.
Get Real

Postby Get Real » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:43 pm

I don't believe Cronin is using this opportunity as leverage. I submit that he is actively looking for a "higher profile " job outside the American. He, purportedly. is not very happy or comfortable at this time, and given the recent revelation regarding his contract negotiations and the fan base fatigue, it wouldn't be any surprise to see him leave.

Mike DeCoursey was on Lance the other night explaining that if Cronin left, it would leave UC in a precarious and possibly permanent position as a revolving door program; as to its conference affiliation and without Big 5 status. ( Big East is an exception).Arguably, many would insist that UC's BB program can stand by itself, but past history is of little importance going forward. Nonetheless, I agree with DeCoursey and his assessment; simply because Xavier has experienced this in the past with the A-10.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:52 pm

Mick is way down on UCLA's wish list. Other than Calipari, they supposedly reached out to Beard, Bennet, and a number of other high profile guys. There are scores of moderately successful guys UCLA reached out to as well before Mick. Hell, even Shadow received a call, but when he noticed the L.A. area code, he didn't pick up thinking it was Kevin Spacey asking him to go antiquing over the weekend.

Cronin got an extension offer with a PAY CUT last year, which is definitive evidence that even UC's administration knows how hollow his consecutive tourney streak is. When you play in a mid-major league, you have about 6-7 hard games all year, which is why they always flame out early in the tourney. I'm sure Mick's camp called any decent team who had an opening so his name would publicly be announced as a candidate, to try and change the obvious reality that his 1 sweet sixteen in 13 years is unprecedented for any coach making north of a million a year.

I also don't think he would take the job as the 38th coach offered, because Mick likes being a small fish in a tiny pond. When your regular competition includes the likes of Tulane, SMU, and E Carolina, you know your chances of a 25 win season are good. He showed his true coaching acumen in the BE.

It's a big dilemma for me. If he stays UC will wallow in the mediocrity which has exemplified them in the last two decades, but if he leaves, I no longer have to wear those glasses one wears when looking at the eclipse when they show a close up of Cronin smiling on TV.

Seacrest out.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:15 pm

DeCoursey is reporting it is a done deal 5 years for $28 million range. His account is now restricted so this could be a hack of Mike's twitter account.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:22 pm

muskieman wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:15 pm
DeCoursey is reporting it is a done deal 5 years for $28 million range. His account is now restricted so this could be a hack of Mike's twitter account.
Mman,

Are you sure this wasn't an April Fool's Day article written yesterday?

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”