Mick Cronin to UCLA

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
ChitownSteve

Re: Mick Cronin

Postby ChitownSteve » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:45 pm

Both the LA Times and Fort Worth Star-Telegram indicating Jamie Dixon Appears to be the selection. The current hang-up is apparently the $8 million buyout of Dixon’s TCU contract.

In conjunction, it is reported Coach Cronin is getting antsy.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:36 pm

The optics are not good for Mick at this point, or UC for that matter. Two days ago, UCLA announces that they've struck out on their latest target in Calipari, after being rebuked by several others. Mick's name comes up as one of two leading candidates. At the same time, UC announces they are working on an extension. If both sides were mutually dedicated to get a contract signed, it would have been done yesterday. It's like two cousins reluctantly agreeing to go to the prom together because they couldn't get other dates (I think this actually was a true story in Cronin's case). It adds credibility to the rumor that UC's AD is less than enamored with Cronin. Making it out of the 1st weekend one out of thirteen times would make any AD and influential booster unhappy, especially when the small, private school across town helps magnify his unremarkable record.

It also speaks volumes that Mick didn't emerge as an unequivocal leading candidate for the Va Tech job right away, despite his supposedly, mutually admiring relationship he had with their current, and U.C.s former A.D. Babcock. He may still, but the enthusiasm is less than palpable. No matter whether Mick stays or goes, it's obvious all isn't well in Clifton. At least this time, it isn't because their forward and center tried to beat up a horse.

On a final note, UCLA's AD should be shown the door. A historically great school like UCLA fires their coach at least two months ago, and the best he can come up with is Jamie Dixon? There should have been a line of really good candidates already in the queue (see Lousiville, Mack) the day after their season ended. I think JD is a pretty good coach but he does not have the resume to be the H.C. there. Guys like Dixon and Cronin can be had any time. Apparently, Beard and Bennet's camps said they won't discuss the job until after the season, so instead of delaying the search for 5 days to land a top 3 or top 10 coach, he settles for two decent ones who have three (I believe) Sw 16s between them in almost thirty cumulative years as head bball coaches. Be careful what you wish for when you fire a guy who made 3 consecutive F4s.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:17 am

Willard is the first choice at Va Tech. If he doesn't take it, then Cronin would likely be the next choice if he takes it. I think Mick's biggest issue right now is the future at UC. If Cumblerland leaves this year, then they will have a similar year that X just had but the bigger issue is the following year. Cumberland was a great get but I don't see Samari Curtis having the same impact-especially not having the luxury of Evans and Clark around him. If there was a time for Cronin to leave it is now. He really needed a S-16 to give him some additional street cred with the administration.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Seeing Buzz leave the ACC and a S-16 team to go to Texas A & M makes me hope that TS finds X to be his home and he would not be quick to jump given the opportunity. Buzz is going home and I hope he is successful. I think that is great meanwhile it is sad to think Mack was going home when he came to X but found money more important. I understand that money rules the world to some people but not everyone is ruled by money. There are people out there, which we all know, making good money but have found where they are at their home and do not become enamored with schools with bigger "names" or more money. As for Mick, I still believe he is trying to use leverage to get a longer and more lucrative deal but maybe the AD should be looking at a local coach like John Brannen
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
webxu

Postby webxu » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:37 pm

TX AM, pays extremely well, and you could argue is a better program than VA Tech. pretty much a no-brainer for Buzz to go. same with Mack, he makes much more at Lville, and is an hour and half away from home. let him go. Onward and upward. personally I hope Mick does leave so UC fans know how good they had it, he did a great job bringing them back. True he didn't have great tourney success, but as we know the tourney can be a fickle beast. couple of things don't go our way and we don't make the sweet 16 in 2012/15.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:14 pm

muskieman wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:01 pm
Seeing Buzz leave the ACC and a S-16 team to go to Texas A & M makes me hope that TS finds X to be his home and he would not be quick to jump given the opportunity. Buzz is going home and I hope he is successful. I think that is great meanwhile it is sad to think Mack was going home when he came to X but found money more important. I understand that money rules the world to some people but not everyone is ruled by money. There are people out there, which we all know, making good money but have found where they are at their home and do not become enamored with schools with bigger "names" or more money. As for Mick, I still believe he is trying to use leverage to get a longer and more lucrative deal but maybe the AD should be looking at a local coach like John Brannen
it is sad to think Mack was going home when he came to X but found money more important.
While money was certainly a factor, Louisville has a top 8 brand in cbb, and his wife is from L-Ville. I don't blame him at all for leaving, and even if it was solely for money, that's his prerogative. He did a very good job at X overall.

However, what he should be vilified for was working for Louisville while still getting paid by X, and for his classless statements about the program and recruits on his way out. Does anyone really believe that the worst recruiting job arguably during his tenure at X (though it was rivaled by 2013?), and his great haul at L-Ville despite the baggae was sheer coincidence? Me thinks not.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:24 pm

webxu wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:37 pm
TX AM, pays extremely well, and you could argue is a better program than VA Tech. pretty much a no-brainer for Buzz to go. same with Mack, he makes much more at Lville, and is an hour and half away from home. let him go. Onward and upward. personally I hope Mick does leave so UC fans know how good they had it, he did a great job bringing them back. True he didn't have great tourney success, but as we know the tourney can be a fickle beast. couple of things don't go our way and we don't make the sweet 16 in 2012/15.
I hope Mick does leave so UC fans know how good they had it
1 sweet sixteen in 13 years? Is that the standard they should abide by for "how good they have it" now? There a reason most X fans want UC to give him a lifetime contract. I think the following article is spot one with one exception: There is NO ONE who has a bigger ego, and who projects his feelings of self-entitlement more than Coach Verne Shroyer.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... ar-BBVxNoZ
webxu

Postby webxu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:25 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:24 pm
webxu wrote:
1 sweet sixteen in 13 years? Is that the standard they should abide by for "how good they have it" now? There a reason most X fans want UC to give him a lifetime contract. I think the following article is spot one with one exception: There is NO ONE who has a bigger ego, and who projects his feelings of self-entitlement more than Coach Verne Shroyer.

My point was that success should NOT solely be based on how far you advance in the tourney. Look at the years we copped out with a 2 and 1 seed, (and Nova/Virginia) and then made the elite 8 with an 11 seed. There is a lot of luck that tourney success hinges upon. I mean George Mason, VCU, Loyola all making final 4's... achieving success in the tourney can sometimes be a crap shoot. The mark is to put your team in a POSISTION to be successful tourney, and I think Mick has done that.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:30 pm

webxu wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:25 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:24 pm
webxu wrote:

My point was that success should NOT solely be based on how far you advance in the tourney. Look at the years we copped out with a 2 and 1 seed, (and Nova/Virginia) and then made the elite 8 with an 11 seed. There is a lot of luck that tourney success hinges upon. I mean George Mason, VCU, Loyola all making final 4's... achieving success in the tourney can sometimes be a crap shoot. The mark is to put your team in a POSISTION to be successful tourney, and I think Mick has done that.
Agree web especially how X bowed out as a 1 and 2 seed. However, this is tempered by reaching the Elite 8 as a 10,7, and whatever they were with Sean vs UCLA. Also the many S-16s they have had in recent years. Bottom line it tends to even out in the end if you have some model of consistency. UC has not. They rarely (if ever under Cronin) beaten a team seeded better and their last three losses in tourney were against teams seeded worse. Bottom line, in 13 years, you need some success to give you credibility on the years that you suffer
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:18 am

From LA Times: "Jamie Dixon’s candidacy to take over the job apparently ended Friday, only a few days after it had built considerable momentum toward a triumphant homecoming for the North Hollywood native.
Dixon’s $8-million buyout at Texas Christian became an insurmountable sticking point for both sides, according to multiple people close to the situation, with the Horned Frogs unwilling to lower the amount and the Bruins refusing to pay it even after identifying Dixon as their top candidate."
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”