Mick Cronin to UCLA

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
True_Blue

Re: Mick Cronin to UCLA

Postby True_Blue » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:43 pm

thecoach wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:26 pm
6 yrs/24mm. A ton of money.
After California taxes, Mick might have made more money by staying in Cincy.
:D
Last edited by True_Blue on Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:47 pm

True_Blue wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:43 pm
thecoach wrote:
After California taxes, Mick might have made more money by stating in Cincy.
he will spend the rest on the Bel-air golf course and booze
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:13 pm

True_Blue wrote:
thecoach wrote:
No chance, he's got a better chance of making more money than that at Ucla. If he's successful they have very deep pockets to up the ante. The cost of living on the west coast is high, but eventually you sell that house, et. al and usually get even more money back.
True_Blue

Postby True_Blue » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:55 pm

thecoach wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:13 pm
True_Blue wrote:
thecoach wrote:
No chance, he's got a better chance of making more money than that at Ucla. If he's successful they have very deep pockets to up the ante. The cost of living on the west coast is high, but eventually you sell that house, et. al and usually get even more money back.
Reminds me of the joke Steve Martin use to tell. He would say that he wrote a book entitled "How to Turn a Million in Real Estate into 5 Dollars in Cash"
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:11 pm

My son tweeted me saying "For a school that doesn't hang final four banners, they just hired a coach that has 1 Sweet Sixteen in 13 years."
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:33 pm

muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:11 pm

A friend of ours take on Mick leaving https://twitter.com/i/status/1115731724326121472
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:48 pm

Since some to many X fans made fun of Cronin and his coaching abilities, maybe those X fans should start worrying that UC may get a better coach, who might start a major winning streak against X. Always be careful what you wish for??? Having Cronin was good for X's wins against UC . The new coach might reverse that??? Time will tell.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:17 pm

Cronin is the only guy who makes north of 1.0 million annually (at the same school), and has only advanced to the Sw 16 once in 16 years as a HC. In all fairness, he took over a program in shambles at the Univ of Clifton Heights Avondale, so I’ll say once in 13 years. Same dubious distinction applies. I saw this nugget from an article trying to extol the great accomplishments of UCLA’s new hire:

“Cronin has become one of just six coaches in the nation to have led his program to the NCAA Tournament the last nine seasons. Joining him in that group are Mark Few (Gonzaga), Tom Izzo (Michigan State), Mike Krzyzewski (Duke), Bill Self (Kansas) and Roy Williams (North Carolina).” They failed to mention that most of his success was achieved in mid-major leagues, where they play half a dozen top 50 teams a year. This year was a nice anomaly for them, but didn’t lead to a different outcome in the tourney. Here's a trivia question: Of the former group, there is only one coach who has not won more than 20 games in the tourney in the last thirteen years, and same said coach has only been to the Sw 16 once. Hint: It ain’t Coach K.

I also love this delusional quote from the AD: ““This is a top-tier basketball job for the right coach,” Bohn said. If by right coach, you mean someone who wants to play in a mid-major league with a lukewarm fanbase (this year being an exception) and who has a legacy of underachievement in the last decade. I can’t blame him. He has to sell the program. UC’s gain is Xavier’s loss. The only campus more riotous in joy than VA right now is UC’s.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:25 am

Xavier2005 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:48 pm
Since some to many X fans made fun of Cronin and his coaching abilities, maybe those X fans should start worrying that UC may get a better coach, who might start a major winning streak against X. Always be careful what you wish for??? Having Cronin was good for X's wins against UC . The new coach might reverse that??? Time will tell.
You would rather have a poor coach for UC? Not me. I want this to be a competitive game where each team improves the other and the game is worth playing based on Quad 1 games. Beating a poor uc team never helps improve a Xavier team but beating a #1 is a chest beater game. You always complain when X plays the lower tier teams so UC as a quality opponent should be encouraged.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”