another may enter the pool

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: another may enter the pool

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:39 pm

X has obviously benefitted greatly with grad transfers, and as much as I love this resource for us, I hate what it is doing to mid-majors, even The University of Clifton Heights Avondale. I hope the rule proposed making it more difficult to leave your team as a g.t. is implemented. Yes, another indication that A.H. has a tender side and soft underbelly, which is sorely under appreciated by most posters. Don't worry Muskienick, I'm not including you in my criticism.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:07 pm

Lead Guitar wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:06 pm
Another year with the new rule and all of the power conference teams will be made up of Freshmen, Sophomores and grad transfers from the MAC and Horizon leagues! How does a coach determine who to recruit if he does not know who is coming back until 5/29?
It's a very valid point, as Hops pointed out once these players "declare" even with reserve you start to get exposed to a lot of things that can jeopardize your amateur status, and honestly if guys starting getting feelers to play for cash be it overseas, G league etc. i can't ever see it being a positive for team building. It used to be the off season guys were in school working to get better etc. and the degree was critical. I'd be shocked if any of these guys ever plays a full season in the Nba. Overseas is a different matter. As we saw with SC, it's not always a player's view is that he will improve with more college ball. D1 ball has changed quite a bit and i'm not sure it's heading in the right direction.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:39 pm

thecoach wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:07 pm
Lead Guitar wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:06 pm
Another year with the new rule and all of the power conference teams will be made up of Freshmen, Sophomores and grad transfers from the MAC and Horizon leagues! How does a coach determine who to recruit if he does not know who is coming back until 5/29?
It's a very valid point, as Hops pointed out once these players "declare" even with reserve you start to get exposed to a lot of things that can jeopardize your amateur status, and honestly if guys starting getting feelers to play for cash be it overseas, G league etc. i can't ever see it being a positive for team building. It used to be the off season guys were in school working to get better etc. and the degree was critical. I'd be shocked if any of these guys ever plays a full season in the Nba. Overseas is a different matter. As we saw with SC, it's not always a player's view is that he will improve with more college ball. D1 ball has changed quite a bit and i'm not sure it's heading in the right direction.
To be honest D1 basketball isn’t a great nba prep at all. Only 30-35 games a year of basketball and 10 or so of those are relatively easy early season games. The game is not nearly as crisp as pro ball either. Granted, no one knows who you are when you’re in the G league or playing in Serbia.

It’s tough. The way it’s starting to go bothers/worries me. More and more I think the recruiting process may need to be rethought/reinvented.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:23 am

Looks like Kennedy is heading to Tcu. I think they offered him after his first breakup with X last summer. Back to Texas. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets eligibility next year. Sure some reason he can make work for going back home.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:35 pm

XU80

Postby XU80 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:56 pm

thecoach wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:35 pm
http://www.wtmj.com/news/report-sam-and ... 1069221146

Hmmm...Hauser's leaving Marquette
I wonder if the Markus Howard announcement that he is returning for his senior year had any connection. Howard is a great scorer when he is on. When he is not, he is a black hole, meaning the ball never comes back once it is passed. I noticed frustration with Hauser Brothers during the Murray St Tournament Game.
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:03 pm

thecoach wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:35 pm
http://www.wtmj.com/news/report-sam-and ... 1069221146

Hmmm...Hauser's leaving Marquette
I'd still like to know if they are related to Arty Hauser.
https://goxavier.com/hof.aspx?hof=33
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:38 pm

When Marquette was winning and even dominating teams, the offense was spread between the Hausers and Howard. When they started to struggle and did so thru the last part of the season, Howard took a disproportionate number of shots. I mentioned this to others at the time. Don’t know if that was by design or selfishness but a very good team became mediocre and suffered. Not surprising they are going elsewhere. Howard is a great player and scorer, but it takes a team.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:13 pm

Dick Bennett was a head coach in Steven's Point where Hausers are from. They're obviously watching UVA win a Naty, and they want in on the action. There's a Bennett connection in the air.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:21 am

oldhoopster wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:38 pm
When Marquette was winning and even dominating teams, the offense was spread between the Hausers and Howard. When they started to struggle and did so thru the last part of the season, Howard took a disproportionate number of shots. I mentioned this to others at the time. Don’t know if that was by design or selfishness but a very good team became mediocre and suffered. Not surprising they are going elsewhere. Howard is a great player and scorer, but it takes a team.
I watched a number of their losses toward the end of the season and the brothers looked like they were in a shooting slump which might have been reason Howard shot more. Early in the season, the brothers seemed to hit about everything and were flying all over the court but down the stretch, they couldn't (At times) put it in the ocean.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”