Brannen New UC Coach

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
thecoach

Re: Brannen New UC Coach

Postby thecoach » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:40 pm

XU85 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 am
At risk of returning to the topic of this thread, I think UC made a great hire. Quite frankly, I hope Brannen is much more successful than Cronin, just not against Xavier. Brannen seems like a good coach and even better person.
Did X interview Brannen when Mack left?
XU85

Postby XU85 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:26 pm

thecoach wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:40 pm
XU85 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:20 am
At risk of returning to the topic of this thread, I think UC made a great hire. Quite frankly, I hope Brannen is much more successful than Cronin, just not against Xavier. Brannen seems like a good coach and even better person.
Did X interview Brannen when Mack left?
He was listed as a probable candidate, so I would assume he was but I have no first hand knowledge.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:09 pm

webxu wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:30 am
Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:11 pm
sweet67 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:25 pm

XU has 2 former players currently in prison for murder. But I'm sure they were great kids while in Norwood.

If you know so much about UC, then you must know all about XU's baggage as well. Why don't you share that as well Mr. Insider.
Despite the limited capacity for logic, reason, and insight demonstrated in every single one of your posts, I'm confident you'll succeed in using some complex thinking here. There is a distinction, with what a university does when a player is under one's care, as opposed to what one does when they leave said university, when the school no longer has control of those players.

When players such as Llyod Price, Eddie Eyikor,Dez Wells, and other players, who happened to be very good players, ran afoul of X's code of conduct, which is more stringent than law enforcement's, as evidenced by the city's DA & UC alum's (Joe Deters) statements about Dez Wells not committing a crime, an odd comment made from a public official, despite X expelling him. Too bad he didn't speak up during the scores of felonies committed in Clifton by players and coaches alike, when Otis Campbell was at the helm.

Conversely, UC had/has a different way of dealing with players while still at the university. Here is a very small sampling:

Darnell Burton was caught smoking pot, which is both a misdemeanor, and was against UC's policy during Huggin's era. What did UC do? Suspend him? Kick him out of school? Nah babay nah. They changed their rules, claiming that the standard was for the previous league they played in. Burton didn't miss any games.

One of their centers, can't remember his name, as scores of players ran afoul of the law in the 90s, committed felonies by doing things like kidnapping one's roommate, and toruturing him by confusing his body with an ash tray. UC definitely kicked him out right? Nah baby nah.

Forstson and Long punched a police horse, because.......he was there...and had hooves, which they so envied. Surely, they were kicked off the team, right? Nah babay nah. I could go on and on, but am limited to 100,000 characters. Sweets, do you understand the distinction now?

To top it off, UC kept a coach on staff last year who mistakenly confused a sleeping female passenger on the plane with the blow up doll he bought from an adult shop. That's assault brother. Now, if the players and coaches left UC when they commited their crimes, they'd have no culpability, like X doesn't. It's why UC still holds the honor of known as UNLV West. They turn the other way, like Tark the Shark did. You definitely can spell integrity without UC. BTW, one doesn't need to be an insider to know these things. One just has to be able to read newspapers and the internet.

I know this is a lot to ponder, and you must be bleeding from both ears by now. I know you'll check this board every 3 minutes before you go to bed to see how I replied. Please don't. I want you to get a good night's sleep.
I believe Tre was caught smoking hash.. I cant recall, but I don't think he missed any time. JP was arrested as well, again, not sure he missed any time. Myles Davis saga.. if were going to call out UC, we need to be honest about the skeletons in our closet as well. We are not squeaky clean either, and our transgressions don't date back to the 90's.
Web,

Great call and you are absolutely correct. Our hands aren't completely clean, but I never claimed that they were. However, I assume you must have missed me pointing out issues with Wells, Eyikor, and Price. Crawford was also charged with stealing a cell phone in 2010 as well, along with Bluiett and JP. CM definitely was the antithesis of a disciplinarian, but he was Bob Knight compared to UC's coaches.

Also, unlike UC with Burton and Wingfield, when Myles broke the law, he was suspended for many weeks. Lloyd Price was kicked off the team, and Dex Wells expelled even though he did not even commit a crime in the eyes of UC alum Joe Deters, who inexplicably editorialized on the matter, though was eerily silent during the Huggins and Donald Little sagas. I'll put our record of disciplining players against UC's any days.

In the late 90s, two key players on X's team were suspended for the first game in the tourney by Skip Prosser. He was the epitome of integrity. UC changed their rule book to accommodate Darnell Burton so he could play. Two different philosophies. Also, with the help of influential boosters, including a car dealer who supplied families with new autos on more than one occasion when Huggin's plowed into their cars, these crimes (DUI) never became public I suspect Joe Deters had something to do with this. Ironically, as a private university, disciplinary issues like Dez Well's situation didn't have to be made public, but X chose to do it anyway. That's called transparency.

It also doesn't help Sweet's illogical assertion that X players who commit crimes after leaving the university is somehow X's fault. It would be like penalizing Oklahoma because Lawrence Phillips committed murder after he graduated, or the U of Mich should have public subsidies reduced due to Ted Kaczynski. The average 5th grader can grasp that logic.
sweet67

Postby sweet67 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:08 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:09 pm
webxu wrote:
Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:11 pm

Despite the limited capacity for logic, reason, and insight demonstrated in every single one of your posts, I'm confident you'll succeed in using some complex thinking here. There is a distinction, with what a university does when a player is under one's care, as opposed to what one does when they leave said university, when the school no longer has control of those players.

When players such as Llyod Price, Eddie Eyikor,Dez Wells, and other players, who happened to be very good players, ran afoul of X's code of conduct, which is more stringent than law enforcement's, as evidenced by the city's DA & UC alum's (Joe Deters) statements about Dez Wells not committing a crime, an odd comment made from a public official, despite X expelling him. Too bad he didn't speak up during the scores of felonies committed in Clifton by players and coaches alike, when Otis Campbell was at the helm.

Conversely, UC had/has a different way of dealing with players while still at the university. Here is a very small sampling:

Darnell Burton was caught smoking pot, which is both a misdemeanor, and was against UC's policy during Huggin's era. What did UC do? Suspend him? Kick him out of school? Nah babay nah. They changed their rules, claiming that the standard was for the previous league they played in. Burton didn't miss any games.

One of their centers, can't remember his name, as scores of players ran afoul of the law in the 90s, committed felonies by doing things like kidnapping one's roommate, and toruturing him by confusing his body with an ash tray. UC definitely kicked him out right? Nah baby nah.

Forstson and Long punched a police horse, because.......he was there...and had hooves, which they so envied. Surely, they were kicked off the team, right? Nah babay nah. I could go on and on, but am limited to 100,000 characters. Sweets, do you understand the distinction now?

To top it off, UC kept a coach on staff last year who mistakenly confused a sleeping female passenger on the plane with the blow up doll he bought from an adult shop. That's assault brother. Now, if the players and coaches left UC when they commited their crimes, they'd have no culpability, like X doesn't. It's why UC still holds the honor of known as UNLV West. They turn the other way, like Tark the Shark did. You definitely can spell integrity without UC. BTW, one doesn't need to be an insider to know these things. One just has to be able to read newspapers and the internet.

I know this is a lot to ponder, and you must be bleeding from both ears by now. I know you'll check this board every 3 minutes before you go to bed to see how I replied. Please don't. I want you to get a good night's sleep.
I believe Tre was caught smoking hash.. I cant recall, but I don't think he missed any time. JP was arrested as well, again, not sure he missed any time. Myles Davis saga.. if were going to call out UC, we need to be honest about the skeletons in our closet as well. We are not squeaky clean either, and our transgressions don't date back to the 90's.
Web,

Great call and you are absolutely correct. Our hands aren't completely clean, but I never claimed that they were. However, I assume you must have missed me pointing out issues with Wells, Eyikor, and Price. Crawford was also charged with stealing a cell phone in 2010 as well, along with Bluiett and JP. CM definitely was the antithesis of a disciplinarian, but he was Bob Knight compared to UC's coaches.

Also, unlike UC with Burton and Wingfield, when Myles broke the law, he was suspended for many weeks. Lloyd Price was kicked off the team, and Dex Wells expelled even though he did not even commit a crime in the eyes of UC alum Joe Deters, who inexplicably editorialized on the matter, though was eerily silent during the Huggins and Donald Little sagas. I'll put our record of disciplining players against UC's any days.

In the late 90s, two key players on X's team were suspended for the first game in the tourney by Skip Prosser. He was the epitome of integrity. UC changed their rule book to accommodate Darnell Burton so he could play. Two different philosophies. Also, with the help of influential boosters, including a car dealer who supplied families with new autos on more than one occasion when Huggin's plowed into their cars, these crimes (DUI) never became public I suspect Joe Deters had something to do with this. Ironically, as a private university, disciplinary issues like Dez Well's situation didn't have to be made public, but X chose to do it anyway. That's called transparency.

It also doesn't help Sweet's illogical assertion that X players who commit crimes after leaving the university is somehow X's fault. It would be like penalizing Oklahoma because Lawrence Phillips committed murder after he graduated, or the U of Mich should have public subsidies reduced due to Ted Kaczynski. The average 5th grader can grasp that logic.
Lawrence Phillips played for Nebraska. A 5th grader could have looked that up.

Xavier brought Eddie Eyikor on the team after he ran over an off duty cop, broke his back, and then fled the scene.
webxu

Postby webxu » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:33 am

I guess my point was that UC has been pretty clean since the 90's Huggs Thugs, and well we haven't been is all. All programs have issues certainly, but lets give credit where credit is due, Mick's teams didn't have those issues, while Mack's did. Here's hoping Brannen and Steele make it a healthy rivalry and each team has saints. :)
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:51 am

I like Brannen and would have been ok with Xavier hiring him.The problem I have is that I might not dislike him like Cronin or Huggs.Thats no fun :D
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:15 am

sweet67 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:08 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:09 pm
webxu wrote:

Web,

Lawrence Phillips played for Nebraska. A 5th grader could have looked that up.

Xavier brought Eddie Eyikor on the team after he ran over an off duty cop, broke his back, and then fled the scene.
WOW sweet, takes a point of minutia to give AH a gotcha and a five-second high. Eddie Eyikor never did more than step on campus. That the best you have sweet. I understand that you need to support your university but it is guys like you that make X fans think your side is loaded with a bunch pathetic losers sitting at a keyboard in their mom's basement.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:03 pm

webxu wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:33 am
I guess my point was that UC has been pretty clean since the 90's Huggs Thugs, and well we haven't been is all. All programs have issues certainly, but lets give credit where credit is due, Mick's teams didn't have those issues, while Mack's did. Here's hoping Brannen and Steele make it a healthy rivalry and each team has saints. :)
Mick's teams didn't have those issues
http://www.fox19.com/2018/10/23/ex-uc-a ... r-assault/ (Assoc HC). Mick knew of Harvey Weinstein Davis' penchant for molestation before it became public.

http://www.fox19.com/story/18369722/uc- ... b-bouncer/ (multiple players).

www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/.(If not for the grace of kenny Frease and legal gymnastics of Deters, Gates and that other UC thug would still be in sitting in jail for felonious assault. From the Enquirer,"Cincinnati’s Yancy Gates received the longest suspension, six games. Gates punched Xavier’s Kenny Frease _ CHEAP SHOT, causing a gash that left him bleeding below his left eye, and hit at least one other Xavier player during the fracas.

Frease also was kicked as the two teams converged on each other. X-rays of Frease after the game were normal. Gates cheap shot could have killed Frease, and that other thuggish center kicked him while he was down. Neither made the league, but both received lucrative offers from different chapters of the Bloods and Crips).

I'm done. Tired of shooting fish in a 1/2 gallon fish bowl. Sorry to ruin your narrative of the pious Cronin Web.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:29 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:03 pm
webxu wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:33 am
Mick's teams didn't have those issues
http://www.fox19.com/2018/10/23/ex-uc-a ... r-assault/ (Assoc HC). Mick knew of Harvey Weinstein Davis' penchant for molestation before it became public.

http://www.fox19.com/story/18369722/uc- ... b-bouncer/ (multiple players).

www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/.(If not for the grace of kenny Frease and legal gymnastics of Deters, Gates and that other UC thug would still be in sitting in jail for felonious assault. From the Enquirer,"Cincinnati’s Yancy Gates received the longest suspension, six games. Gates punched Xavier’s Kenny Frease _ CHEAP SHOT, causing a gash that left him bleeding below his left eye, and hit at least one other Xavier player during the fracas.

Frease also was kicked as the two teams converged on each other. X-rays of Frease after the game were normal. Gates cheap shot could have killed Frease, and that other thuggish center kicked him while he was down. Neither made the league, but both received lucrative offers from different chapters of the Bloods and Crips).

I'm done. Tired of shooting fish in a 1/2 gallon fish bowl. Sorry to ruin your narrative of the pious Cronin Web.
Zip em up
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:28 am

ok why bother responding to sweet 67. He is a UC fan on this board looking for any comments about UC. He should be happy with his own team and new hire and move on. Everyone knows bearcats S-16 success for the last 20 years so arguing with him about program success is ludicrous at this point. Sweet 67, good luck to your team. I would join the UC faithful on their board and rally around your coach. You may need to since the former players seem to have major issues with the hire

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”