Naji and the draft

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
gym from delhi

Re: Naji and the draft

Postby gym from delhi » Tue May 07, 2019 11:34 am

A quick review of draft projections have both Virginia guards (Jerome and Guy), but no Scruggs (or Cumberland). Both the latter would enhance their stock with one more year of college ball.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue May 07, 2019 11:49 am

He is at a predraft camp with the Hawks, but that is just for evaluation purposes I believe. Of all four I could actually see Scruggs being an NBA player based on his size and shoot, however he is just not ready yet. Semaj made a huge mistake leaving early and hopefully Scruggs will not do the same. I can't imagine what the scouts say to Q when he starts to shoot 3's.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue May 07, 2019 12:26 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:48 am
Please someone correct me, but did I just see an article referencing Scruggs hiring an agent?
Yep, i think he's working with Neil Rosenshein. Bad part of that is i think he represents guys overseas as well. Guess is he's seriously looking into getting paid. Can't blame him if the money is right.

https://basketball.realgm.com/player/Pa ... mary/88876

https://basketball.realgm.com/info/agen ... nshein/384
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Tue May 07, 2019 1:07 pm

I believe a player can sign with an agent and still return to school now if they remove their name from the draft by 5/29. Is this correct? If this is true, Paul could still return. Maybe just needed someone to pay for his visits to NBA teams?
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue May 07, 2019 2:27 pm

Yes, up thru the end of this month. However, you cannot receive any compensation.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:45 pm

Not to be a downer, but do guys leave early from a lot of programs to “have a shot overseas?”

I feel like you never see guys from uc doing that for example.

I get it if you have a shot at the league, but we seem to have guys with little to no nba shot take off early.
XU80

Postby XU80 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:57 pm

I wonder if his age (21) has an influence since he will be 22 next year if he waits. Some agents/teams put into the heads of these players that you may be limiting your professional opportunity based on age. If my poor memory serves me age had an influence with Semaj.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue May 07, 2019 4:53 pm

I think at the end of the day for the vast majority of the kids anymore it's about getting paid regardless of age. Fans can talk all they want about a college degree, but most of the players are definitely not involved in degree programs whereby they are going to make(or have the opportunity to make) near the kind of cash you can playing pro basketball at various levels. That's existed in baseball forever, ie a kid goes to college for a year or two and bails for money. It's a different type of player now most schools who aspire to top 25 programs goes after. You can always go back and finish a degree. Just the dollar and cents of it.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue May 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:53 pm
muskieman wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:25 pm
Naji Marshall

13 minutes ago

I have taken my name out of the NBA Draft and will be returning to school for the 2019-2020 school year.
The only thing less surprising is seeing Jennifer Aniston on the arm of Mick Cronin on the Red Carpet. Hell, even I was projected ahead of Naj Marshall on some of the draft boards.
was that before or after you declared Conscientious objector status?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:48 pm

I’m sure age is a factor. And definitely the nba prefers guys 20 or under for the draft.

But I’m confused about the Euro ball. If you look at the tourney contenders from this year they all had a couple great juniors/seniors that stuck with their teams. They all def could have played ball in Europe.

If Scruggs leaves for Europe after one good but not great season that worries me for the program.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”