SI's top 25

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

SI's top 25

Postby muskieman » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:37 am

X starts at 23
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-man

Re: SI's top 25

Postby X-man » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:29 am

And at #20 in ESPN's revised rankings. We are starting to show up in virtually everyone's top-25 rankings, so no "sneaking up" on anyone this season.
Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament, and almost always makes some noise while there. Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan (ESPN Summer Shootaround, 2012)
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:29 pm

X-man wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:29 am
And at #20 in ESPN's revised rankings. We are starting to show up in virtually everyone's top-25 rankings, so no "sneaking up" on anyone this season.
Thank God
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:00 pm

And yet, will they be any better than last year? Probably only if newcomers can shoot and give good minutes. Hankins was a big loss offensively I think. If they consistently play team ball and play within themselves, maybe top 20. If not, see last year's results.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:31 pm

Xavier appears to be in most to all the top 25 polls for next year. Also the BE will probably have at least 3 to 4 teams in the top 25 to start the year. The comment that Xavier will not be able to sneak up on anyone is kinda funny. Other than the BE Conference Xavier appears to be playing no one in the top 25. The non conference schedule looks like it is fairly weak to average teams and X should go undefeated in the non conference schedule. The BE teams know X and yes no sneaking up there only. If X loses one game in the non conference schedule, that may be one too many.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:45 am

Xavier2005 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:31 pm
Xavier appears to be in most to all the top 25 polls for next year. Also the BE will probably have at least 3 to 4 teams in the top 25 to start the year. The comment that Xavier will not be able to sneak up on anyone is kinda funny. Other than the BE Conference Xavier appears to be playing no one in the top 25. The non conference schedule looks like it is fairly weak to average teams and X should go undefeated in the non conference schedule. The BE teams know X and yes no sneaking up there only. If X loses one game in the non conference schedule, that may be one too many.
I was wondering when Ron would make his negative comment.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:39 pm

So spot-on MM. The negative comments this time of year, especially when all that has happened is all four potential early NBA entry players are coming back and on the heels of a major commit from a 4-star highly coveted shooting guard is just comical. Hey i love this board as it allows me to escape the madness of my hectic & often stressful life, but some of the dudes that contribute amaze me. Losing one OOC game next year is one too many? Good Lord. A college b-ball season is a long & eventful journey. Every team, whether good, bad or ugly will ebb and flow as players roles and individual skills evolve and are defined. That elusive "chemistry" will also ebb & flow. Last season we really jelled defensively over the final 3rd segment of games. I believe, as many do, that Steele should have run a higher % of the offense through our two post players during key stretches of games. However, for the most part, you could sense the coaching staff did realize that and both Jones and Hankins did start to play a bigger role when X made that late run. Next season is still a long way off. Numerous things can happen and you just really want everyone to stay safe and sound. My hope is that all our guys are hungry as hell. That they are in the gym hoisting shots using proven shooting drills. Eating right and lifting plus conditioning. Hoping Naji and Paul can add 3 to 7 pounds of toned muscle. That said, knock on wood, X should be able to sport one hell of a defensive presence this coming season. The size/length/quickness quotient, plus experience level of our core is near the highest level of D-1. Adding Jason Carter & Moore, plus some of the some talented Frosh, plus a year of experience, all Steele has to do is sprinkle in some decent scoring options to our core without sacrificing much on D.
But I digress.... Plenty of time to wax poetic about the upcoming season. Just realize this will be a journey with ups and downs. Wouldn't want it any other way. All I want is to be playing our best basketball & starting to peak come Mid-Feb or so. - Oh, and I am in no hurry for it to already be approaching Mid-Feb....!
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:40 pm

X will be better next year with every relevant player coming back -except Hankins. Just having an extra year will be huge. Having said that, I do see X having droughts on offense. It is critical that Bishop, Kyky, and the newcomers provide significant improved outside shooting to open up the middle for our true slashers/drivers (Goodin, Marshall. and Scruggs). If X struggles shooting like last year, they become very easy to guard - see UC game. While I don't have any reason to think otherwise, the upper classmen must let the younger players make a real contribution and trust them to do what they do better than them (i.e. shooting from the outside). This team IMO have top 25 talent but it will be on the coaching staff to manage the talent both physically and mentally. I trust Travis will be able to do so and their trip to Spain should be very helpful.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”