Uconn?

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
thecoach
Posts: 1320
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am
Contact:

Uconn?

Postby thecoach » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:38 am

Jesseandrippers
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Uconn?

Postby Jesseandrippers » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:38 pm

Looks to be a done deal. UCONN in Big East by 2020. Football TBD. A good re-add to the conference.
gundun
Posts: 960
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:54 pm
Contact:

Re: Uconn?

Postby gundun » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:26 pm

Will the TV revenue package increase to cover UCONN's share? I don't want X to lose money
Lead Guitar
Posts: 544
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Uconn?

Postby Lead Guitar » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:48 am

20 conference games? I do like the home/away with all teams. Only fair. Only leaves 8 non -conference, correct?
Would they not be the only public university?
Are their colors blue like most most of the teams?
thecoach
Posts: 1320
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am
Contact:

Re: Uconn?

Postby thecoach » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:55 am

Obviously for Uconn this is somewhat of an inevitable and tough move among a lot of their fans given the resources they committed to fball. For a state flagship school to pretty much have to abandon fball when their aspirations were to build it was/is a costly move for a state school. Not to mention i'm guessing they're on the hook for a termination fee to the AAC. There's no way you're going to be able to schedule decent teams in fball as an independent at D1 once you get into normal conference schedules, so i think that's a no brainer it's heading back to a very low competition fball program or extinction. They've admitted they have no plan there which is kind of surprising. Must be some divided camps between who thinks they can be independent and those who realize they're done. Definitely a bball brand worth saving, but the question at this point will be is there life after Jim Calhoun? So far, it's looked more like St. Johns, Depaul or even Gtown after their long time guys left. Calhoun is a love or hate guy as a coach. Uconn was never a Duke or Ky who get the big recruits every year. He was a guy who was very good at developing players. Hurley's a good coach, question is good enough? They haven't recruited badly. They just do not have the edge Calhoun gave them. Will be interesting to watch. Hall of Fame coaches are tough to follow.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5227
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Uconn?

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:29 am

thecoach wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:55 am
Obviously for Uconn this is somewhat of an inevitable and tough move among a lot of their fans given the resources they committed to fball. For a state flagship school to pretty much have to abandon fball when their aspirations were to build it was/is a costly move for a state school. Not to mention i'm guessing they're on the hook for a termination fee to the AAC. There's no way you're going to be able to schedule decent teams in fball as an independent at D1 once you get into normal conference schedules, so i think that's a no brainer it's heading back to a very low competition fball program or extinction. They've admitted they have no plan there which is kind of surprising. Must be some divided camps between who thinks they can be independent and those who realize they're done. Definitely a bball brand worth saving, but the question at this point will be is there life after Jim Calhoun? So far, it's looked more like St. Johns, Depaul or even Gtown after their long time guys left. Calhoun is a love or hate guy as a coach. Uconn was never a Duke or Ky who get the big recruits every year. He was a guy who was very good at developing players. Hurley's a good coach, question is good enough? They haven't recruited badly. They just do not have the edge Calhoun gave them. Will be interesting to watch. Hall of Fame coaches are tough to follow.
I did a cursory, search of Calhoun’s teams every five years during his tenure, and came up with a group of his NBA players listed below. They include several Hall of Famers. This isn’t a complete list, and I am no historian of the League, but it shows they’ve represented the NBA very well over his 25 years there. They were also a top 10 cbb team during his time, winning two or three NCs. They can certainly regain their elite status, and their addition definitely raises the profile of the BE. They are the 2nd most storied program after Nova.

Ray Allen, Donnie (sp?) Marshall, Donyell Marshall, Jeremy Lamb, Kemba Walker, Drummond, Okafor, Butler, Gordon, Rudy Gay, Napier, Scott Burrell, Richard Hamilton, El Amin, among others.

Also, in regards to cfb, though I'm no expert, I believe there are at least two independents who schedule decent teams during conference season: ND and Army. I think Navy joined a mid-major league a couple of years ago. I'm not suggesting it will be easy, but when scheduling non-conference bball games, Uconn can leverage their P-5 bball brand by scheduling mid-major schools with decent football programs, by making it a caveat to schedule football along with basketball games (eg. MW teams -Boise State, Nevada, Air Force; AAC teams - UC, Houston, CFU).
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 22638
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Uconn?

Postby muskieman » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:10 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:29 am
thecoach wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:55 am
Obviously for Uconn this is somewhat of an inevitable and tough move among a lot of their fans given the resources they committed to fball. For a state flagship school to pretty much have to abandon fball when their aspirations were to build it was/is a costly move for a state school. Not to mention i'm guessing they're on the hook for a termination fee to the AAC. There's no way you're going to be able to schedule decent teams in fball as an independent at D1 once you get into normal conference schedules, so i think that's a no brainer it's heading back to a very low competition fball program or extinction. They've admitted they have no plan there which is kind of surprising. Must be some divided camps between who thinks they can be independent and those who realize they're done. Definitely a bball brand worth saving, but the question at this point will be is there life after Jim Calhoun? So far, it's looked more like St. Johns, Depaul or even Gtown after their long time guys left. Calhoun is a love or hate guy as a coach. Uconn was never a Duke or Ky who get the big recruits every year. He was a guy who was very good at developing players. Hurley's a good coach, question is good enough? They haven't recruited badly. They just do not have the edge Calhoun gave them. Will be interesting to watch. Hall of Fame coaches are tough to follow.
I did a cursory, search of Calhoun’s teams every five years during his tenure, and came up with a group of his NBA players listed below. They include several Hall of Famers. This isn’t a complete list, and I am no historian of the League, but it shows they’ve represented the NBA very well over his 25 years there. They were also a top 10 cbb team during his time, winning two or three NCs. They can certainly regain their elite status, and their addition definitely raises the profile of the BE. They are the 2nd most storied program after Nova.

Ray Allen, Donnie (sp?) Marshall, Donyell Marshall, Jeremy Lamb, Kemba Walker, Drummond, Okafor, Butler, Gordon, Rudy Gay, Napier, Scott Burrell, Richard Hamilton, El Amin, among others.

Also, in regards to cfb, though I'm no expert, I believe there are at least two independents who schedule decent teams during conference season: ND and Army. I think Navy joined a mid-major league a couple of years ago. I'm not suggesting it will be easy, but when scheduling non-conference bball games, Uconn can leverage their P-5 bball brand by scheduling mid-major schools with decent football programs, by making it a caveat to schedule football along with basketball games (eg. MW teams -Boise State, Nevada, Air Force; AAC teams - UC, Houston, CFU).
Let's say they go independent and improve their football program over a five year period while enjoying the benefits of being in the big east what is to stop them from jumping again to the ACC or less likely the Big Ten? I just wonder if they are using the BE as an interim landing until they get their football act together.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Jesseandrippers
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Uconn?

Postby Jesseandrippers » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:30 pm

muskieman wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:10 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:29 am
thecoach wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:55 am
Obviously for Uconn this is somewhat of an inevitable and tough move among a lot of their fans given the resources they committed to fball. For a state flagship school to pretty much have to abandon fball when their aspirations were to build it was/is a costly move for a state school. Not to mention i'm guessing they're on the hook for a termination fee to the AAC. There's no way you're going to be able to schedule decent teams in fball as an independent at D1 once you get into normal conference schedules, so i think that's a no brainer it's heading back to a very low competition fball program or extinction. They've admitted they have no plan there which is kind of surprising. Must be some divided camps between who thinks they can be independent and those who realize they're done. Definitely a bball brand worth saving, but the question at this point will be is there life after Jim Calhoun? So far, it's looked more like St. Johns, Depaul or even Gtown after their long time guys left. Calhoun is a love or hate guy as a coach. Uconn was never a Duke or Ky who get the big recruits every year. He was a guy who was very good at developing players. Hurley's a good coach, question is good enough? They haven't recruited badly. They just do not have the edge Calhoun gave them. Will be interesting to watch. Hall of Fame coaches are tough to follow.
I did a cursory, search of Calhoun’s teams every five years during his tenure, and came up with a group of his NBA players listed below. They include several Hall of Famers. This isn’t a complete list, and I am no historian of the League, but it shows they’ve represented the NBA very well over his 25 years there. They were also a top 10 cbb team during his time, winning two or three NCs. They can certainly regain their elite status, and their addition definitely raises the profile of the BE. They are the 2nd most storied program after Nova.

Ray Allen, Donnie (sp?) Marshall, Donyell Marshall, Jeremy Lamb, Kemba Walker, Drummond, Okafor, Butler, Gordon, Rudy Gay, Napier, Scott Burrell, Richard Hamilton, El Amin, among others.

Also, in regards to cfb, though I'm no expert, I believe there are at least two independents who schedule decent teams during conference season: ND and Army. I think Navy joined a mid-major league a couple of years ago. I'm not suggesting it will be easy, but when scheduling non-conference bball games, Uconn can leverage their P-5 bball brand by scheduling mid-major schools with decent football programs, by making it a caveat to schedule football along with basketball games (eg. MW teams -Boise State, Nevada, Air Force; AAC teams - UC, Houston, CFU).
Let's say they go independent and improve their football program over a five year period while enjoying the benefits of being in the big east what is to stop them from jumping again to the ACC or less likely the Big Ten? I just wonder if they are using the BE as an interim landing until they get their football act together.
Its no secret they wanted the ACC all along but were blocked by BC I believe. Maybe that relationship can be repaired but the ACC / Big Ten may not take them because of how weak their football program is. They cant keep bleeding their other sports out in American so this is smart for them. I will take even an interim UCONN as of now. Hope they juiced up the exit fees.
George1294
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Uconn?

Postby George1294 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:10 pm

I do not know where the idea Boston College blocked/black-balled UCONN from getting into the ACC. The ACC asked for applications for the one spot available. The three finalists were UC, UCONN, and Louisville. The ACC presidents (12 voting members at the time) took a vote and UC got no votes, UCONN got 4 votes and Louisville got 8 votes.
Jesseandrippers
Posts: 716
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:45 pm
Contact:

Re: Uconn?

Postby Jesseandrippers » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:10 am

George1294 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:10 pm
I do not know where the idea Boston College blocked/black-balled UCONN from getting into the ACC. The ACC asked for applications for the one spot available. The three finalists were UC, UCONN, and Louisville. The ACC presidents (12 voting members at the time) took a vote and UC got no votes, UCONN got 4 votes and Louisville got 8 votes.

https://boston.sbnation.com/2011/10/9/2 ... onn-in-acc

Or the several dozen articles like it.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests