1990 Sweet 16 Team

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
xavierhoosier

1990 Sweet 16 Team

Postby xavierhoosier » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:23 pm

Great article in the Cincinnati Enquirer. So many memories from this game. For me, this remains the biggest win in program history.

I was unable to attend the game and I couldn't watch it on TV as the Michigan/Loyola Marymount matchup (another incredible game) was shown in our area. Andy Mac and Joe Sunderman did an amazing job with the radio call.

I have since watched a VHS replay of the game. Here are some of the moments that stand out for me.

>The Derek Strong dunk in transition with the assist from Jamal Walker and foul on Alonzo Mourning. In my mind, still one of the top plays in program history. (Strong played like a man all game)

>Jamie Gladden hitting those baseline jumpers and playing so poised as a freshman.

>Jamal Walker made an acrobatic shot in the second half around the Georgetown big men. Again, just an incredible shot that only Jumping Jamal could make.

>Aaron Williams had a huge rebound basket late in the game. Williams, a freshman, looked overwhelmed at times in that game, but he hung tough and also had a big rebound late to seal it.

>Tyrone Hill really didn't have a great game, fouling out with 13 points. Shows just how talented this team was that they could overcome that. Hill though was outstanding in the first round win over Kansas State.

I really believed this team was going to the Final 4. That Sweet 16 loss to Texas was a killer.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 617219001/
edgecliff hall

Re: 1990 Sweet 16 Team

Postby edgecliff hall » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:01 am

Welcome to MM. Where in Hoosierland are you from?
xavierhoosier

Re: 1990 Sweet 16 Team

Postby xavierhoosier » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:45 pm

Thank you. Shelbyville, Indiana. My older brother and godfather both graduated from Xavier and that led to my passion for Xavier basketball.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”