Musketeer Madness

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
madness31

Re: Musketeer Madness

Postby madness31 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:43 am

I had to stop watching games last year because of the low IQ basketball. I assumed they fixed it during the run at the end of the season but possibly not based on some of the earlier comments. I don't mind watching teams lose but watching them lose because of a lack of discipline or understanding is not something I can tolerate. Hopefully the coach is more willing to take action this year with the deeper team but I fear he is too similar to Mack and will let his "stars" do what they want. That would certainly lead to a much worse ranking than the 10 to 15 that is possible.

Glad to hear at least 1 of the young guys knows the difference between good and bad shots. Maybe he can influence the coach or his teammates but more likely we have to wait a year or 2 for him to become the leader the team needs.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:13 am

If you’re letting the PLAY of college basketball teams get you all upset, to a point where you just can’t watch it, you’re probably taking it way to seriously.

There are a billion Chinese that don’t even know that Xavier exists, let alone care how disciplined the BB team plays.

Try to keep things in perspective. These are GAMES. Played by KIDS and young men. No reason to let it ruin your day when they lose or make your day when they win.
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:41 pm

So what if Madness takes his Xavier basketball seriously and doesn't want to watch street ball? I appreciate his insight.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:06 pm

sorry, duplicate postI
Last edited by kyzrex on Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#WHYNOTX?
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:06 pm

I appreciate the insight as well, but I can’t imagine ever letting how they are playing get me so upset that I will stop watching them. The ONLY time in the last almost 50 years I ever got really disgusted was when I saw them jogging back on defense while getting blown out in a conference tournament game at the Coliseum. Even then, it was not something that I let ruin MY evening. I take it seriously, I watch every game that I can and when I can’t watch it I will listen to every game. I enjoy reading the message boards and follow recruiting pretty closely. I’m a proud alumni and even wore a Xavier uniform while I was there. But I still realize it’s just a game and how the team is or isn’t playing really doesn’t mean much in the whole scheme of life. Gotta keep things in perspective. Just try to enjoy the journey and the show.
#WHYNOTX?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:41 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:06 pm
I appreciate the insight as well, but I can’t imagine ever letting how they are playing get me so upset that I will stop watching them. The ONLY time in the last almost 50 years I ever got really disgusted was when I saw them jogging back on defense while getting blown out in a conference tournament game at the Coliseum. Even then, it was not something that I let ruin MY evening. I take it seriously, I watch every game that I can and when I can’t watch it I will listen to every game. I enjoy reading the message boards and follow recruiting pretty closely. I’m a proud alumni and even wore a Xavier uniform while I was there. But I still realize it’s just a game and how the team is or isn’t playing really doesn’t mean much in the whole scheme of life. Gotta keep things in perspective. Just try to enjoy the journey and the show.
well said.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:22 am

I did not mean to imply that the games ruin my day, just that I have no desire to watch undisciplined basketball. Xavier has highly paid coaches and the players have been at this sport for many years. Mistakes happen, other teams will sometimes have superior talent or just better luck but there is no excuse for regular carelessness with the basketball in both turnovers and terrible shot selection.

Most people love to see star players. The problem is that few players are actually worthy of that distinction and the majority of players that are seen as stars actually make the team worse. It is true a team needs a player capable of creating their own shot in case the offense breaks down but generally working for the best shot through a well designed offensive set will lead to greater efficiency. Inefficient stars are just posers. There was too much hero ball last year combined with just sloppy play - lazy passes, careless dribbling, etc.

Marshall and Goodin can lead Xavier on a deep run but only if they play team basketball and focus on defense. There is a ton of potential this year but these guys need to play smart. If they do, a future in basketball will be there. If their heads get buried in their backsides then the opportunities likely will not materialize.

Scruggs on the other hand could be a bit more aggressive offensively. He is very passive, a bit like Derrick Brown. Brown should have been able to make a career in the NBA but he wasn't selfish enough. I love that Scruggs doesn't force the issue but he can likely do a bit more than what we see most games. There were games where he took over for stretches when the team was struggling. Playing efficient is a difficult balance of being passive and aggressive. It is about exploiting opportunities but not forcing the issue.

I do not expect perfection but I will not watch undisciplined garbage. It is a waste of time. Hopefully the players have matured and have a renewed focus as I love cheering for Xavier. I look forward to the start of college basketball every year and generally don't miss Xavier games.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:39 pm

Even Andy Mac tweeted about the secret scrimmage. There are not many secret things these days besides maybe Muskiemans and AH’s new bromance. I am concerned about poor shoot selection especially out of Naji and Q.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”