AP Preseason Top 25

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Michigan Musketeer

AP Preseason Top 25

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:03 pm

At #19 in there with the elite. Nice to be there but now they have to go out and prove they belong in the top 20
madness31

Re: AP Preseason Top 25

Postby madness31 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:40 am

Assuming the silly turnovers and bad decisions that happened during the first half or so of last year are a thing of the past, this team should easily stay in the top 20 most of the year. They should be toying with a top 10 to 15 by end of season. There is a lot of potential and should be a high floor. Depth, athleticism, size are all there. A couple stretch 4 should help with shooting.

The Freshmen/grad transfer looked strong overseas. They should be able to contribute immediately.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:16 pm

madness31 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:40 am
Assuming the silly turnovers and bad decisions that happened during the first half or so of last year are a thing of the past, this team should easily stay in the top 20 most of the year. They should be toying with a top 10 to 15 by end of season. There is a lot of potential and should be a high floor. Depth, athleticism, size are all there. A couple stretch 4 should help with shooting.

The Freshmen/grad transfer looked strong overseas. They should be able to contribute immediately.
this team should easily stay in the top 20 most of the year. They should be toying with a top 10 to 15 by end of season.
Wow,

That's a pretty gaudy comment considering they lost their best three point shooter, and best overall player from last year's team. I think this team has the potential to be a Top 25 Team, but their decision making, primarily from the guy who takes the most shots, must get better, and that is on Steele. Marshall isn't going to stop taking 27 footers with 23 seconds on the shot clock on his own.

The biggest obvious potential deficit is their lackof proven outside shooting. They can be a decent three point shooting team, if they take them judiciously, shoot 15 or fewer threes a game, and limit Marshall and Goodin to a maximum total of five a game. Defensively, they have the athletes, length, and depth to pressure the ball more, so I hope they employ that to create offense from their D. The last 6 games of the past season, and tourney play showed that even when they struggled offensively, they could still win due to their tremendous defense. Bishop, Tandy, and Freemantle, and Miles should only help in this effort.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:18 pm

I also forgot Carter. I predict he will be the best overall player on the team this year. Another great transfer brought in by X.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:57 pm

Tough to say how good their outside shooting will be but I don’t see it much better than next year unless the Tandy, Bishop, and Moore really adapt to D-1 ball at this level and get shots off. This teams strength could be defense with Goodin, marshall, and scruggs. He and Goodin just have to understand that they are best not shooting the 3. While Crawford and Tu were very good but X didn’t gel until Redford hit some well timed 3s and earned the trust of Crawford. The newbies have to earn time to get on the floor and hit shots. If if they do, hopefully Marshall, scruggs, and Goodin will look for them. If that happens, Marshall and Goodins shoot will improve because of shot selection. If not, x will have many offensive droughts I’m afraid. We shall see. Hope I’m wrong.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:34 am

I completely agree with your comments. Shot selection and decision making are key for this team, along with defense. As I said in another post, I hadn't realized they didn't fix these issues late last year when the team started winning.

Goodin and Marshall will either play smart basketball and the team will do great things or they will destroy any hope of a strong season and a deep run.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:31 am

madness31 wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:34 am
I completely agree with your comments. Shot selection and decision making are key for this team, along with defense. As I said in another post, I hadn't realized they didn't fix these issues late last year when the team started winning.

Goodin and Marshall will either play smart basketball and the team will do great things or they will destroy any hope of a strong season and a deep run.
Madness,

Posts like this are one reason why Mman made you a preseason 1st team poster. Marshall is a lot like Baker Mayfield. They both have lot of talent, but are plagued with poor decision making with their "hero ball" mentality. Much like AH in tennis, but that's a different story. They'll follow a great throw-shot, with an interception-28 foot air-ball. Marshall seems oblivious to the fact that as athletically gifted and skilled defensively and offensively (going to the hole on the right side or a pull up shot in the lane, not as a long range shooter) his decision making made him a net negative in many games last year. To his credit, he also led X in many wins last year as well. He is a downhill player going to the hole on offense. When he takes the ball from the key dribbling with his left hand, it often results in his getting the ball stolen, dribbling it off his foot out of bounds, or shooting a fade away lab as he falls to the ground, instead of taking it strong to the hole where he can draw fouls. Very predictable, and too often ineffective.

One stat jumps out from last year. Marshall led the team in t.o.s last year at 3.3 per game, followed by Goodin and Scruggs at 2,7. He and Goodin are lucky poor shot selection isn't considered a t.o. or their numbers would be considerably higher. However, when your top 3 perimeter players lead the team in turnovers, that's a huge problem.

If their assist to t.o. ratio was 3 to 3.5 to 1, then their high turnover rate wouldn't be an issue. However, their ratios approximated are:

Goodin: 1.7/1
Scruggs 1.25/1
Marshall 1.1

If X wants to make a run in the tourney this year, those numbers can't be repeated.

Jonas Brothers out.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:31 am

Nice analysis AH. It seems Travis is at least aware that this is a concern. Hopefully he can figure out a way to get Marshall, Goodin and to a lesser extent Scruggs to buy in.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”