U Indy

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

U Indy

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:15 pm

X beat D2 UIndy by 12. I am not very concerned by the close score, but am concerned by two things:

1. A bad shooting team chucked up too many threes again.

2. Marshall played hero ball once again. In the words of the great Andy Mac,"He went solo a few times early when the offense was not flowing." Either Marshall doesn't watch tape, or Steele is ok with his selfish, low IQ play. It's the exhibition season, so hopefully the light turns on before Tuesday. Otherwise, I expect Marshall to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, as he did a few times last year.

AH is a 3/4 glass full poster-moderator, but I hope I don't make the comment with next year's team that there is some addition by subtraction. On paper, this team has a chance to get a decent seed and make a run with the tourney, if Steele exerts his will and demands team play. Otherwise, he will get an earful from yours truly during our weekly lunches at Quatman Cafe in Norwood.
X-Expert

Re: U Indy

Postby X-Expert » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:55 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:15 pm
X beat D2 UIndy by 12. I am not very concerned by the close score, but am concerned by two things:

1. A bad shooting team chucked up too many threes again.

2. Marshall played hero ball once again. In the words of the great Andy Mac,"He went solo a few times early when the offense was not flowing." Either Marshall doesn't watch tape, or Steele is ok with his selfish, low IQ play. It's the exhibition season, so hopefully the light turns on before Tuesday. Otherwise, I expect Marshall to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, as he did a few times last year.

AH is a 3/4 glass full poster-moderator, but I hope I don't make the comment with next year's team that there is some addition by subtraction. On paper, this team has a chance to get a decent seed and make a run with the tourney, if Steele exerts his will and demands team play. Otherwise, he will get an earful from yours truly during our weekly lunches at Quatman Cafe in Norwood.
Agreed AH. My biggest concern is that a team that clearly lacks 3 point shooting chucked up that many 3s. Marshall was 6-16 (37.5%) and that was an improvement over last year. Thankfully, Goodin shot well above his average. To your point, the two worse shooters from last years team once again took the most shots. I know its exhibition as was Akron but this is not playing well thus far. People talk how X didn't have Carter vs Akron. Guess what, Akron was missing a couple of key players as well. I sure hope that the only missing piece here is Carter but i hardly think that one player will make players all of a sudden play with a higher IQ. X was missing several players last nights so hopefully things change but seeing a lot of similarities to last year.
Pandinus

Postby Pandinus » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:06 am

4-14 FT
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:50 am

Numbers don't lie!! I really believe he is somewhat deaf to coaching ! My take on Marshall....He believes there's not sufficient talent on our team thus he must be the man!! However, game stats must not register. He continues to fire away BELIEVING his own BS, not reality. Having said this, I like him, he's very talented. He just does not understand his limitations. Also, perhaps he's temperamental and coach understands if he rides him he'll pout and fold. Thus, he stays off his back?? We do need his aggressive play. Totally believe coach knows how to handle him. Q has a taste of the same syndrome!! It's something I have resigned to and live with as part of our teams personality ..for better or worse.
The resolve could be should one or more of the new guys light it up from 3 and takes the pressure off of Marshall and Q then they can play to their talents using athleticism and strength to get to the rim?? Prayers and Go X.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:03 pm

joeabe wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:50 am
Numbers don't lie!! I really believe he is somewhat deaf to coaching ! My take on Marshall....He believes there's not sufficient talent on our team thus he must be the man!! However, game stats must not register. He continues to fire away BELIEVING his own BS, not reality. Having said this, I like him, he's very talented. He just does not understand his limitations. Also, perhaps he's temperamental and coach understands if he rides him he'll pout and fold. Thus, he stays off his back?? We do need his aggressive play. Totally believe coach knows how to handle him. Q has a taste of the same syndrome!! It's something I have resigned to and live with as part of our teams personality ..for better or worse.
The resolve could be should one or more of the new guys light it up from 3 and takes the pressure off of Marshall and Q then they can play to their talents using athleticism and strength to get to the rim?? Prayers and Go X.
Good post.
Having said this, I like him, he's very talented.
As do I; at the least the freshman version of Marshall.
Also, perhaps he's temperamental and coach understands if he rides him he'll pout and fold. Thus, he stays off his back?? We do need his aggressive play. Totally believe coach knows how to handle him.
If any coach defers to any player's fragile ego to the detriment of the team, he should pick a different profession (See Lewis, Marvin, as it relates to Ocho Cinco, Burfict, and others). I also wish I shared your confidence that "coach knows how to handle him." I've seen zero evidence of that. X would have beaten Nova if Marshall didn't go 1-15, with a number of bricks thrown up in a very tight game. His shot selection thus far this exhibition season (as well as all of last year) has shown future opponents that the best way to defend Marshall is play back and dare him to shoot, or make him dribble to his left.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:53 am

I agree with all the comments and I believe that season will hinge on taking good shots and making good decisions on the offensive end. I'm glad that Steele is happy with the defense so far, however considering the four starters we have returning we should be a good defensive team. If Naji and Q lead the team in 3 point shots taken we will hover around 20 wins. Its time for Naji to sacrifice a few bad shots and put the ball down low to Jones and Carter. I have heard that Steele seems does not get on Naji and Q regarding bad shots and poor decisions, but I hope that changes.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”