Jacksonville game 11/5

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Jacksonville game 11/5

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:31 pm

First of all,

May I say what a pleasure it is to see Hops and Mman have rational discourse, instead of the usual F-bombs flying around, which occurs when I beat Mman in Battleship.

The good from tonight: Marshall played an outstanding game. Very James Posey like. The only negative from him was taking 4 treys, though one was an end of the shot clock three. Jones was also very good, but he won't have it that easy against a team with legitimate low post defenders.

Freemantle showed that he is cut from the same cloth as Justin Cage and J Doellman. He is going to be fun to watch for four years.

The bad: Stunner. Goodin sucks at shooting! He was a bad shooter in high school, and his first three years in college. One of his shots almost missed the backboard all together. The only positive with Goodin shooting is the uptick in attendance primarily from personal injury lawyers who hand out their business cards to everyone in the first twenty rows, while praying that he shoots a lot of outside jumpers.

X was horrible at the line, just like last year.

They were also terrible from the three point line. What's worse is the fact that Steele seems oblivious to it, as X shot 23 of them. Steele may be an offensive genius in terms of designing plays, but not so much in terms in in game management. It's like calling plays for a QB to throw into triple coverage, and still imploring him to do so after his fifth INT. X led the game by thirty, and the lead whittled down to 17, even though they had some starters on the floor.

It was also cute to play Schrand so many minutes. I'm sure he's a great kid, but child please. I guess an NIT appearance (though some responsibility has to go to Slim Shady in L'Ville for taking a year off of recruiting for X; however, L'Ville reaped benefits) was enough to feel cocky and play a walk on so many minutes early on, even starting him.

However, as usual, I'll end with a positive note. Marshall played like one of the top wings in the country, and makes Bilas look even smarter than he actually is. Let's hope that continues.
lionelchalmers0

Postby lionelchalmers0 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:55 pm

Agree with a lot of the above, just wanted to add:

Fremantle really looks ready to play. I’m sure he’ll have freshman moments but dude has good dude and is already pretty confident with the ball.

Bryce Moore is a very annoying defender. I don’t know that he’ll be able to shut down the Markus Howard’s is the world but he does seem like a guy that will give max effort on d 10 min of each half.

Bishop looks competent as well for a freshman and I think can contribute early and often.

While many have pointed out that the shooting was not great and I agree, I do think paul and Naji will really be able to carry this team at times and the droughts will not be as bad as last year. In fact I really expect paul to make a big jump this year and I’m looking forward to it.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:08 pm

AH if you wouldn't be such a sore loser and a better strategist then you wouldn't need to the resort to the F-bombs. BTW sky and I have good conversations

As for tonight's game, LS was the starter because Carter has only been back for a short time and Steele said he didn't want to have him play starter minutes Carter will be the starter but it is good to know LS can play D if needed in an emergency. The thing that disturbed me was the number of times Naji hit the deck because if this keeps up he will be having a bad back sometime this year.

Free looked good and has some nice post moves. Bishop has a nice first move to the basket and James has too. They might be good when the other team get tired legs
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:17 pm

Good points by both of the last posts. It's not often where there could be three freshman that will contribute in Fremantle, KyKy, and Bishop. Instead it could be Harden and Kennedy, which for whatever reason just didn't work. Anyone that has played hoops or still does knows that a bad back takes some time, so I'll give Carter a break. MM was correct in that Marshall even for some of the criticism by AH and E-Xpert does play hard and hopefully his unselfishness continues. I still do not want Q to shoot 3's or run the second team offense.
26+6=1

Postby 26+6=1 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:39 pm

Outscored in the second half---Not good!

26+6=1
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:43 am

26+6=1 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:39 pm
Outscored in the second half---Not good!

26+6=1
Are you aware that X played 11 players, and that didn’t even include either Ramsey or Miles? I think I saw the peanut vendor warming up near the end of the game and getting ready to go in.

X used a lot of inexperienced players the last 15 minutes and it showed. However the only way to get them experienced is to let them play. So X had second and third string players going against the 1st string for JU. Any surprise they were out scored when they went 10 minutes without scoring?

Relax
#WHYNOTX?
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:35 am

This team seems focused to play D which is good. that has to be their calling card because teams will figure them out and sag on defense. This team has played 2 exhibition and 1 regular season games in which they have shot (6/26, 2-25, and 4-23). that is 23%, 8%, and 17%. They really have to take smart shots because every possession will count for them again average to good teams for sure. they will lose games you don't expect and have those out of body experiences where they will shoot 33% from 3 and win. While the core 4 are the primary reasons for success with this team, the ability of Tandy, Bishop, and Moore to shoot will play a huge role and how good they can be.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:59 pm

we know what this team is. we saw it last season. it won't change much this season, and i mean in regards to the shooting % from 3. if we shoot 33% from 3 as a team by the end of the season it will be because Q and Naji make a concerted effort to decide that taking that shot isn't their first option nor should it be the first option in the offense unless the ball has been thrown down on the block at least once. it's not like they NEVER need to shoot them at all. there's a difference between making 5 to 7 passes and having someone drive and kick it to you with 7 seconds on the shot clock when you're wide open and coming off one ball screen and jacking one up.

you can tell the two things that will be the staple of this team - defense and rebounding. those two things, and you can tell Steele has emphasized them the most, will keep us in games more than having to jack up ill-advised 3's and hope they go in will. and this team seems to have bought into it already. not saying Jacksonville is some great 'test' but you can see the difference on the defensive end, a little full court pressure at times, and when you have more bodies that can play, your "studs" aren't as tired and can actually apply the kind of defensive pressure you want as a coach, even at the 35th minute because they haven't actually played 35 minutes, so they have the energy to do that.

we will have games where we shoot 40% from 3. we will probably have more where we are 27-33% but hopefully those are games where we take less 3's and end up going like 4-13 instead of jacking up 23 of them.

either way, get Carter to 100% and get KyKy back and you're gonna see this team take off and be who they really can be.

gonna be a fun ride.

can't wait!

LETS GO X!
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:51 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:31 pm

It was also cute to play Schrand so many minutes. I'm sure he's a great kid, but child please. I guess an NIT appearance (though some responsibility has to go to Slim Shady in L'Ville for taking a year off of recruiting for X; however, L'Ville reaped benefits) was enough to feel cocky and play a walk on so many minutes early on, even starting him.
I'm disappointed in you AH. I thought you knew about all re: X basketball.
"Senior Leighton Schrand, who started at Xavier as a walk-on and has since earned a scholarship, got his first career start Wednesday night
Adam Baum"
link
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:48 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:59 pm
we know what this team is. we saw it last season. it won't change much this season, and i mean in regards to the shooting % from 3. if we shoot 33% from 3 as a team by the end of the season it will be because Q and Naji make a concerted effort to decide that taking that shot isn't their first option nor should it be the first option in the offense unless the ball has been thrown down on the block at least once. it's not like they NEVER need to shoot them at all. there's a difference between making 5 to 7 passes and having someone drive and kick it to you with 7 seconds on the shot clock when you're wide open and coming off one ball screen and jacking one up.

you can tell the two things that will be the staple of this team - defense and rebounding. those two things, and you can tell Steele has emphasized them the most, will keep us in games more than having to jack up ill-advised 3's and hope they go in will. and this team seems to have bought into it already. not saying Jacksonville is some great 'test' but you can see the difference on the defensive end, a little full court pressure at times, and when you have more bodies that can play, your "studs" aren't as tired and can actually apply the kind of defensive pressure you want as a coach, even at the 35th minute because they haven't actually played 35 minutes, so they have the energy to do that.

we will have games where we shoot 40% from 3. we will probably have more where we are 27-33% but hopefully those are games where we take less 3's and end up going like 4-13 instead of jacking up 23 of them.

either way, get Carter to 100% and get KyKy back and you're gonna see this team take off and be who they really can be.

gonna be a fun ride.

can't wait!

LETS GO X!
best point in your quote here is that they limit their number of shots. so far in three games (2 exhibitions) there best shooting % was 23% so 27-33% would be a God-send. Their D needs to be solid and unlike last year, they have depth that may improve shot selection and percentage. Also i do believe that Moore, Tandy, and Bishop can really help on the 3-at least i'm hoping. at the end of the day, unless you can truly go inside out (and hit some of the outside shots), you won't be successful

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”