REDSHIRT

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

REDSHIRT

Postby muskieman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:11 pm

Per Shannon... It's official: XavierMBB is redshirting Dieonte Miles. Travis Steele: "After discussing Dieonte Miles' future with him, his family and our coaching staff, we decided that redshirting this season is in his best interest." Steele went on to say "Dieonte is a talented young man who has a very bright future. Our coaching staff will work very hard with him during his redshirt year to get him physically stronger and continue to develop his game at both ends of the court." adding "Dieonte has a chance to be a special player and this extra year of development will do wonders for him."

shannon Asked Dieonte Miles about potentially redshirting. Miles: “I’m just going to buy into whatever (Coach) tells me. Me personally, I wouldn’t mind being redshirted just to give me another year to get stronger. But honestly, at the end of the day, it’s all up to Coach."
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Re: REDSHIRT

Postby muskieman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:13 pm

The last redshirt was Makinde London 2014-15 season.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:21 pm

muskieman wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:13 pm
The last redshirt was Makinde London 2014-15 season.
That didnt pan out for us
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Myles Davis/Jalen Reynolds/Mark Lyons and Edmond Sumner did
rickf

Postby rickf » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:20 pm

Thanks Muskieman I did not remember all those players recently that did redshirt.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:10 pm

thanks MM

shout out to hops who called this earlier in the week.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:18 pm

I met Matt Jennings at one of Hops Jr's baseball games this summer and he told me that they would probably red-shirt a big, however I heard that Miles made it difficult based on the way he played in Spain and in practice. We will need him next year. Sienna will not be a push over tomorrow, so hopefully we shoot better than 12% from 3 or whatever we have been shooting.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:55 am

Prep school provides the same extra year, but redshirt allows Miles to learn the system and play against older players in practice. David West, Stanley Burrell and I believe even Marshal, went the prep route. We had many more. It should be a good move.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:06 pm

That's an interesting comment that Miles made it difficult to redshirt him based on practice and Spain. Redshirt can often be in the best interest of the player and the team but that comment makes me wonder if this is in the best interest of either. From the team perspective, they have plenty of bigs this year. Unfortunately you never know if injuries or foul trouble will become a problem. You also don't know if Miles will develop faster than his competition or if his particular skillset will be beneficial at key moments in the season.

From the player perspective, the only downside is if he loses motivation and growth stops or slows. Most likely this will benefit him as it seems probable that his minutes would be limited most of the year. Rather than lose the year of eligibility, he can get better and stronger and have an additional year to showcase his talents.

Personally, if a player is making it a difficult decision, I'm probably not going to redshirt him. It is better to have more options available and a difficult decision means it is likely he has the ability to contribute. That being said, what the player wants does matter and should be considered. It sounds as though Miles believed a redshirt might be in his best interest. If he is motivated to use the year to grow as a player to improve his odds of playing professionally and the team is already deep at his position then it is a reasonable decision.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:42 pm

He can always play if they need him because a red shirt is not declared until the end of the season. I think they really want to have him gain some weight because he is really a stick and in the BE he will be going against guys more developed. The plus side is he will be playing every day against Jones and Freemantle. I am sure it is a hard decision and one that could change if the need or development dictates

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”