Siena thread 11/8

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Shadow

Re: Siena thread 11/8

Postby Shadow » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:03 pm

Good defensive effort in the first half and the FT % is decent at long last.
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:16 pm

foul trouble for X
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Like their D and lots of contributions from new guys in various ways.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Shadow

Postby Shadow » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:04 pm

And the good guys won!
Moderator EMERITUS, Musketeer Madness.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:41 pm

AH and extended family graced Cintas this evening.

We don't sit behind the bench, as those seats are reserved for Fan Royalty like Muskieman, and the guy who does aluminum siding commercials with his daughter.

The good: X played good defense, particularly in the 2nd half, when they held Sienna to 10 points in the 1st 12 minutes. They ended up with 30 for the final 8 minutes, but most were scored against the likes of James, Schrand, etc...

Marshall did a good job passing, rebounding, and playing defense, and is a force when he takes it strong to the hole.

Jones again was overpowering.

Freemantle continued to play very well, and even though Carter missed some point blank shots, he is going to be a very good player for X.

X also had only 11 t.o.s, and 16 assists.

Now, the bad: Unfortunately, this will be a consistent theme throughout the year.

Marshall shooting treys (1-7), and off the dribble should be a mortal sin. He is a bad outside shooter. He CANNOT make shots off the dribble, whether they are treys, or 10 footers. Unless is is going to the hole, or can bank a running stretch lab, he should not shoot the ball. Since he insists on shooting some treys, the only ones he should take are catch and shoot in rhythm threes.

Goodin was 3-7 with two labs, and the unfortunate happened: he made a three. His first shot of the game was a six footer which traveled 3 1/2 feet. He also somehow shot an air ball on a left handed lab. Tandy's return can't come soon enough.

X shot 19 threes again, with more than half being shot by the two worst shooters. The others who shot treys were 4-9. I wonder if Steele will bring this up during film session????

For the year, Marshall is 1 for 11, and Goodin 2-6 from three point land. We know the percentage for Goodin will probably go south, and Marshall's can only go north. However, 17 treys in two games by the two worst perimeter shooters is unacceptable. Hopefully, Coach nips it in the bud now.

This has been a public service announcement.
olsingledigit

Re: Siena

Postby olsingledigit » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:26 am

skyhops wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:19 pm
It looks as though Steele is going to let Naji continue to be careless.
Post game Steele said Naji is shooting better in practice but needs to improve selection. So he is sticking with him.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
Anti-Homer

Re: Siena

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:36 am

olsingledigit wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:26 am
skyhops wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:19 pm
It looks as though Steele is going to let Naji continue to be careless.
Post game Steele said Naji is shooting better in practice but needs to improve selection. So he is sticking with him.
He's obviously going to stick with him, because he is X's most talented player, but wildly inconsistent. He is X's best defender (potentially in the league), top 3 re-bounder, and a very good passer. He is also great driving to the hole, as long as it isn't a fade away left handed lab where he falls to the ground. He just CAN'T SHOOT from the outside with consistency. He shot about 175 threes last year and made one of four. How big of a sample size does Coach need?

To make matters worse, the line is moved back even further this year. The only threes he seems to make with any consistency (relative term for him, where 33% is the mark), is the corner three, and top of the key. He also absolutely cannot shoot off the dribble either. He plays like he's JP, but he doesn't have his shooting skills. His misses are rarely in and out. They usually segue to a fast break by the opponent.

The obvious dilemma is X cannot go far without Naji, but he is not a reliable player. I would want at least five players on the 17'-18 team with the ball at the end of the game over Naji. I do think he'll still continue to chuck up threes regardless of the situation, because he thinks he needs it to showcase that ability to make the NBA. It will be the one thing that keep him out.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:49 pm

I have unfortunately not seen either game thus far as travel and other commitments have interfered. It is certainly possible for players to make big leaps in shooting accuracy so if coach is saying he is shooting better in practice but shot selection is the issue then there is hope.

Travis should inform Marshall that his poor shot selection is the major thing standing between him and the NBA. He will need to take some shots from deep to open up driving opportunities but his volume needs to drop and as previously stated they need to be open, in rhythm shots. Should resemble the type of shots he supposedly tends to make in practice. It is certainly possible coach is simply misguiding the competition into thinking Marshall is capable of making shots but for now I will assume he is competent when taking advantage of open looks.

X should use the 3 sparingly, especially Marshall and Goodin but hopefully both are improved shooters from last year.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”