Missouri State game thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
xu39

Re: Missouri State game thread

Postby xu39 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:06 am

skyhops wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:54 pm
Our best play once again was with W on bench.
Who is W?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:11 am

xu39 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:57 am
I am definitely concerned about this year's team. I am concerned about not enough dribble driving on offense and not enough getting the ball inside on offense. I am very concerned about Steele's coaching too. And the new players have not shown a whole lot last year and this year IMO. I felt like we definitely underachieved last year, and I am seeing many of the same type of problems this year. I hope that it is just a slow start, but I do not think so. Very concerned about a lot of things.
Freemantle has shown us he can play and has intensity on the boards and Bishop just came off the injury list. We have not seen KyKy so you are being unduly hard on the new guys
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
xu39

Postby xu39 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:19 am

muskieman wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:11 am
Freemantle has shown us he can play and has intensity on the boards and Bishop just came off the injury list. We have not seen KyKy so you are being unduly hard on the new guys
Fair enough, time will tell.

It is not just this year though, it was last year too. If it was just this year, I would just shrug it off. Once is a coincidence, twice is the beginning of a trend though. I remain very concerned.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:39 pm
Goodin clanks another 3. He has been Miss. State's best defensive play all night.
All 8 of his shots were 3s. Exactly what the opposition wants. His game is driving to the basket which is why zone is the best option against X. I hope Tandy is the answer there .
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:25 pm

xu39 wrote:
I am definitely concerned about this year's team. I am concerned about not enough dribble driving on offense and not enough getting the ball inside on offense. I am very concerned about Steele's coaching too. And the new players have not shown a whole lot last year and this year IMO. I felt like we definitely underachieved last year, and I am seeing many of the same type of problems this year. I hope that it is just a slow start, but I do not think so. Very concerned about a lot of things.
The new players last year were all senior transfers who were needed to fill the roster and 2 freshman Not sure you can make a judgement on this years new guys. Carter will be fine.Moore is ok. The freshman will be good in time. This years team needs the 4 returnees to carry the load at least early in the year . The offense is ragged because of horrible 3 point shooting and turnovers. Fix the turnovers because three point shooting is what it is
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:45 pm

I'm sure that Bishop and Carter will begin to hit some 3's, but I don't expect that from Goodin and Marshall. Steel and the team looked like they had never seem a zone defense before in their lives, but they need to get used to it because I don't know why team would not play a zone. With Naji, Carter, and Jones we should be able to work the zone inside out. Does anyone know when Tandy is going to be back? As Goodin continues to regress and get out played by other PGs, it would be nice to have another option. This team seems to play with effort for about 24 minutes per game. We need 40.
lovedschmidt

Postby lovedschmidt » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:57 pm

This team shoots too many 3s
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:30 pm

xu39 wrote:
XU39 agree with your concerns but a lot is hard to blame on Steele-other than letting bad shooters keep shooting (even if wide open) if they are still shooting less than 15% from3). This is a bad shooting team. Was last year and so far worse this year. I don't see the shooting greatly improving and my biggest concern is Miss St was probably the best offensive team they have played this year and the D wasn't as stifling. Nationally, way too much was put into a 6 game run last year where X beat a down trodden Big East conference -none of which went further than UC in the touney so you know it was a down year. The problem with X is from an offensive standpoint, their true success is one dimensional and that is getting to the basket on a dribble drive. This isn't a team that will bail themselves out by a 3 point shot like years past. They simply have no answers, Hopefully Tandy can take some pressure off and hit shots because if not, it will be a tall order to be 500 in conference play.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:37 pm

Isn't it great to be 4-0 and be complaining about little things like who should shoot the three-ball? First, we don't know what TS is saying to players about the three, Yeah he said he doesn't care but he is covering which a coach should do. If he told you differently people would be saying he is throwing players under the bus as Mick did. Second, what do you want him to do sit Q, Sit Naji and when paul does the same thing, sit Paul? So if he does sit these guys just so you guys can brag that that's what you would do, who does he put in and for how long before the losing brings you all back to reality that the guys on the bench are there because they are not as good as the first string. Every year we hear basically the same whining from fans, it happened with Skip, with Matta, Miller, Chris and now with TS. I get it we all want wins and they better be pretty, well some of us expect pretty, for me, just a win.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:35 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:37 pm
Isn't it great to be 4-0 and be complaining about little things like who should shoot the three-ball? First, we don't know what TS is saying to players about the three, Yeah he said he doesn't care but he is covering which a coach should do. If he told you differently people would be saying he is throwing players under the bus as Mick did. Second, what do you want him to do sit Q, Sit Naji and when paul does the same thing, sit Paul? So if he does sit these guys just so you guys can brag that that's what you would do, who does he put in and for how long before the losing brings you all back to reality that the guys on the bench are there because they are not as good as the first string. Every year we hear basically the same whining from fans, it happened with Skip, with Matta, Miller, Chris and now with TS. I get it we all want wins and they better be pretty, well some of us expect pretty, for me, just a win.
MM i agree with your overall thoughts but i would say you can sit players if they are being a negative being on the court-even for a short time. People seem to forget while Naji had a great run last year for 6 games, that was also because Welage and Hankins were on a roll at that same time. Heck their best game was St Johns and Naji was out. Again, its easy for all of us to go against and for what they are doing since NONE of us know what TS says to the players. Just think if you were Leighton Schrand who was good enough to start the opening two games and now can't get on the floor. Seems to me like he has tried others so may be give others a little longer chance. Perhaps we will will find that the shooting % and production (or lack therof) is the best we have.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”