TOWSON vs XAVIER 11/21/19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: TOWSON vs XAVIER 11/21/19

Postby muskieman » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:01 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:44 pm
I can't recall a player like Marshall at X, who can look like the worst player on the floor in a 4 minute span, then the best one in the next four. I'm not seeing the latter has been shown tonight. He is an excellent passer, defender, and rebounder. He just plays out of control, and can't shoot off the dribble unless it's a lab. He still hasn't developed making a lab with his left hand. Freemantle even shoots effectively with his left hand.
I Thought X won like 73-51 but you and a few others seem to have been born under a wet blanket and I thought I was watching a different game. When little AH jr was born were you complaining that it took to long?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:13 pm

muskieman wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:01 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:44 pm
I can't recall a player like Marshall at X, who can look like the worst player on the floor in a 4 minute span, then the best one in the next four. I'm not seeing the latter has been shown tonight. He is an excellent passer, defender, and rebounder. He just plays out of control, and can't shoot off the dribble unless it's a lab. He still hasn't developed making a lab with his left hand. Freemantle even shoots effectively with his left hand.
I Thought X won like 73-51 but you and a few others seem to have been born under a wet blanket and I thought I was watching a different game. When little AH jr was born were you complaining that it took to long?
Muskieman,

You accidentally responded to my post.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:19 pm

Nice win by G-Town beating Texas by 16. The totai of over 69, and X covering 3.5 for the 2nd is also a beautiful thing, for no particular reason.
Pandinus

Postby Pandinus » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:35 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:00 pm
Townson is on the wrong side of mediocre, but X's defense was suffocating again. Goodin ended up with a decent game (hopefully it slows down some poster's relentless, though deserved criticism), but four treys is too many for him. Scruggs asserted himself as the player who is playing the best, and Moore shows that he is more than just a great defender. Best overall game of the season.
Goodin 4 pts, 3 assists, 0 Reb. We need more of an impact from our SR PG if we are going to contend. He can look so damn good when he’s on. Somethings gotta give.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:02 pm

No Ramsey yet but I hope we see him soon. James and Bishop got there first threes
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:24 am

It would seem that Hops and Sky, for the most part, just want to find things to critique Q and Naji about. that's fine. they deserve some of it. they're not great shooters and Naji is not the best ball handler, especially in traffic going left. he also had 5 turnovers which is way too many for someone who doesn't have to handle the ball all the time. on Q's behalf, he had ZERO turnovers. Q did have 3 assists as well. Naji brings a lot more to the table to offset his turnovers as he had 9 pts, 9 reb, 5 ast. I don't remember many of their 3's being "bad" shots. maybe early in shot clock, but not forced or contested.

overall, the team didn't let shots not falling in the first half deter their defensive effort. if that continues, i'm not going to worry much about this team. we will be in every game if our defensive effort is consistent. sometimes our shooting will keep teams close (when we can't hit) and sometimes it will keep teams at bay (when we are average) and some games it will blow teams out (when we are on fire - hasn't happened yet but for maybe a few minute stretch last night). considering that Naji and Q went 2-7 from 3, that's not that bad at 29%. par for the course for them, so to speak.

that means rest of team went 7-15, and that's really good. that's what we expect from the guys not named Naji and Q. if we can get that from them, we will be ok.

big time test tonite. let's show UConn what kind of league they're about to enter.

and lastly - my favorite play of the night was watching Scruggs drive to the hole, jumpstop, watch two dudes jump out of bounds, then he lays it in. he did a similar move later in the game as well. dude is a stud.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:59 am

Skip,

There is just one of me, so I figured you were talking about AH who at teams is too critical especially of Naji but he has his points as well. It is amazing how things change when you can hit some open threes, which is exactly what Moore did as well as his defensive effort. Five turnovers and poor ballhandling, which is the bad that comes with the good from Naji, so I can handle that from him. As far as Q goes it is no secret that we play better with him on the bench and with Moore at the 2 since Scruggs is probably our best player and can create shots and make everyone better. Q seems to boggle down the offense and really would be better at the 2 or 3 with this team. His regression is what is mind boggling to most, but I guess expecting him to be a good shooter at this stage is unrealistic. Defense was good again and we will need it against a tall UConn team that plays hard.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:02 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:24 am
It would seem that Hops and Sky, for the most part, just want to find things to critique Q and Naji about. that's fine. they deserve some of it. they're not great shooters and Naji is not the best ball handler, especially in traffic going left. he also had 5 turnovers which is way too many for someone who doesn't have to handle the ball all the time. on Q's behalf, he had ZERO turnovers. Q did have 3 assists as well. Naji brings a lot more to the table to offset his turnovers as he had 9 pts, 9 reb, 5 ast. I don't remember many of their 3's being "bad" shots. maybe early in shot clock, but not forced or contested.

overall, the team didn't let shots not falling in the first half deter their defensive effort. if that continues, i'm not going to worry much about this team. we will be in every game if our defensive effort is consistent. sometimes our shooting will keep teams close (when we can't hit) and sometimes it will keep teams at bay (when we are average) and some games it will blow teams out (when we are on fire - hasn't happened yet but for maybe a few minute stretch last night). considering that Naji and Q went 2-7 from 3, that's not that bad at 29%. par for the course for them, so to speak.

that means rest of team went 7-15, and that's really good. that's what we expect from the guys not named Naji and Q. if we can get that from them, we will be ok.

big time test tonite. let's show UConn what kind of league they're about to enter.

and lastly - my favorite play of the night was watching Scruggs drive to the hole, jumpstop, watch two dudes jump out of bounds, then he lays it in. he did a similar move later in the game as well. dude is a stud.
All solid points, especially the comment about Hops, and his identical twin, Sky's unyielding criticism of Q and Marshall, even if it is largely
deserved. You may want to also chide both the local and national media who constantly pushes the factual narrative that X chucks up too many threes. The analyst last night mentioned it on more than one occasion. I also follow a tribe in New Guinea who goes to the mainland only during basketball season for connectivity, and they tweeted that Q and Marshall should stop shooting so many threes.

I said basically the same thing re: Goodin and Q that you did, especially how polarizing Marshall's contributions and execution are. Again, when he is under control (he dribbled into a 1 on 4 during the game yest), takes only in rhythm threes (2-3/game max), and actually stops and sets instead of shooting off balance jumpers, he can be an exceptional player, because his defense, rebounding, and passing are near elite.

Q just isn't very skilled. Period. Good to very good defender, decent facilitator (though not a great A/T.O. ratio last, or this year) and limited but effective scorer when he gets into the lane and either dishes, or finishes strong. Unlike Scruggs, he isn't a creative scorer, and is a horrid shooter. I really like the way Steele is playing Scruggs at the one more, with Moore getting more p.t. He is the real deal, as is Carter, who is shaking off the rust.

There is a higher ceiling for this team, because I believe Carter and Scruggs will shoot better based on their history, and the potential of KyKy, who Steele says is the best perimeter shooter on the team. Great to be 5-0. Tonight won't be easy, because UConn has talent like Gtown, but with a better H.C. X should win tonight and move on. 71-67.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:30 pm

You'll get a much better idea tonight where they stand for better or worse. I think with the exception of Missouri all the wins are against teams with losing records and Mizzou hasn't really beaten anyone yet. Uconn probably borderline tourney team, but they do go 10 deep and have size, quickness and kids that can shoot from the perimeter. It will be an interesting test for the new guys particularly away from home.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:53 pm

skyhops wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:59 am
Skip,

There is just one of me, so I figured you were talking about AH who at teams is too critical especially of Naji but he has his points as well. It is amazing how things change when you can hit some open threes, which is exactly what Moore did as well as his defensive effort. Five turnovers and poor ballhandling, which is the bad that comes with the good from Naji, so I can handle that from him. As far as Q goes it is no secret that we play better with him on the bench and with Moore at the 2 since Scruggs is probably our best player and can create shots and make everyone better. Q seems to boggle down the offense and really would be better at the 2 or 3 with this team. His regression is what is mind boggling to most, but I guess expecting him to be a good shooter at this stage is unrealistic. Defense was good again and we will need it against a tall UConn team that plays hard.
BAHAHAHA! thanks for catching that. of course i meant AH and Sky. :D

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”