Team Defense

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-Expert

Team Defense

Postby X-Expert » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:39 am

One thing that came out of last nights game is that this defense is a team concept and not just some elite defenders (i.e. Marshall and Goodin) making defensive stops. I cant believe that after Marshall, Goodin, and Scruggs fouled out, the defense was pretty much the same. Bishop did not have a good game at all but if you watch him playing on the ball D, he does a great job keeping his man in front. This team will definitely have their struggles offensively and frankly, a hot shooting 3 point team may be tough for X because X does not have a 3 point answer but i have never seen a Xavier team play this type of D. Scruggs is really showing why he was the highest rated recruit of his class (even above Marshall) and Freemantle is very solid. Hopeful that the game slows down for Bishop as i think he will be very good at X.
Anti-Homer

Re: Team Defense

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:02 am

X-Expert wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:39 am
One thing that came out of last nights game is that this defense is a team concept and not just some elite defenders (i.e. Marshall and Goodin) making defensive stops. I cant believe that after Marshall, Goodin, and Scruggs fouled out, the defense was pretty much the same. Bishop did not have a good game at all but if you watch him playing on the ball D, he does a great job keeping his man in front. This team will definitely have their struggles offensively and frankly, a hot shooting 3 point team may be tough for X because X does not have a 3 point answer but i have never seen a Xavier team play this type of D. Scruggs is really showing why he was the highest rated recruit of his class (even above Marshall) and Freemantle is very solid. Hopeful that the game slows down for Bishop as i think he will be very good at X.
Expert,

You are wise, but there’s a sadness to your wisdom. You must have played against, or received counsel from someone with great basketball acumen with such an insightful, but incomplete take. Agreed on your point regarding Bishop. He is a very quick defender with length. Like other players, his offense is far inferior to his D, but I do believe that will come. I am perplexed that he has seemed to be getting more minutes than Moore recently though, despite the fact that Moore is an elite defender, and co-best 3 point shooter along with Scruggs. One guy who is a much better defender than I thought he’d be is Carter. He can guard 3-5. He often gets caught in switches against smaller, quicker guards and wings, and he more than holds his own, evidenced by that great block by one of UConn’s quick guards.

Freemantle is eons further than I thought he would be at this stage. I thought he’d have 5 blocks all season. One play which exemplifies Freemantle’s intensity was when he blocked the Uconn big on an attempted lab, then beat everyone down the court for a lab. He will be another JP: He will consistently, find a way to make winning plays. This team’s identity is definitely defense, and once their basketball IQ and proficiency increases on offense, they will challenge for a BE title, and make some noise in the tourney.

More great takes to come later.

Seacrest out.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:31 pm

LOVE me some Freemantle!!! Jersey tough. Plays with passion and spirit. Looks to be a fab teammate. His offense will come along and I was of course coaching along last night in front of the TV thinking why not post Zach up in that 2nd OT? UConn was doubling Basketball Jones and our scoring options were depleted. But no matter, curiously the kids hung tough and won even without my input... lol.
Zach seems to have a soft touch around the bucket with his right or left. Imagine as he develops and puts on some Bobby Brannon style muscle!! Anyway, fun game last eve. Sure we could spend all day critiquing numerous sub-components but let the coaches do that. I am going to bask in the glow of an early season exciting win and look forward to a Gator challenge to end my weekend.
One question to put out there to those in “the know” are D-1 teams permitted to redshirt two players in same season? Ramsey quickly falling behind and would seem to almost now be a wasted year. Or maybe he is on the verge of returning and talented enough to contribute immediately. Thoughts?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:15 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:31 pm
LOVE me some Freemantle!!! Jersey tough. Plays with passion and spirit. Looks to be a fab teammate. His offense will come along and I was of course coaching along last night in front of the TV thinking why not post Zach up in that 2nd OT? UConn was doubling Basketball Jones and our scoring options were depleted. But no matter, curiously the kids hung tough and won even without my input... lol.
Zach seems to have a soft touch around the bucket with his right or left. Imagine as he develops and puts on some Bobby Brannon style muscle!! Anyway, fun game last eve. Sure we could spend all day critiquing numerous sub-components but let the coaches do that. I am going to bask in the glow of an early season exciting win and look forward to a Gator challenge to end my weekend.
One question to put out there to those in “the know” are D-1 teams permitted to redshirt two players in same season? Ramsey quickly falling behind and would seem to almost now be a wasted year. Or maybe he is on the verge of returning and talented enough to contribute immediately. Thoughts?
Ramsey has been working out and he was dressed last but because he hasn't played you are not going to put him out there when Jones has no fouls and was dominating. I think you might have seen him if the game was a blow out either way. When he shows up could be based on the situation and the next home game might be the place. can always use a 6'8" guy
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”