Florida vs Xavier game thread 11/24/19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
XU80

Re: Florida vs Xavier game thread 11/24/19

Postby XU80 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:01 am

Games in November/December are about getting the record and quality wins built up for Selection Sunday. That said, remember we have 7 new players on the roster and evaluating the talent now is the key to a good run in the Big East.

Here are the positives from last night:

1.) Our defense got the stops down the stretch to make this a close game. Florida scored 6 points in the final 8 minutes
2.) Zach Freemantle is playing like a sophomore certainly not a freshman after 7 games
3.) Paul Scruggs is a nightmare to defend, he is our goto guy in crunch time
4.) The two big threes by Q, hope this gets him back to being a much bigger contributor.
5.) Tyrique played very tough inside, kept Blackshear in check for most of the game

Here are the negatives:
1.) Turnovers
2.) Jason Carter Defense on the ball was just not good.
3.) Naji disappeared
4.) Paul Scruggs fouls
5.) Dahmir Bishop is a freshman and looks like a freshman
6.) Tyique's insistance to put the ball on the floor when he gets the pass deep in the post.
7.) Three Point shooting
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:56 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:47 pm
Got to give Q props. He was rough in the 1st 25 minutes, with forcing some passes, and a couple of explicable drives he lost out of bounds, but he hit 3 in rhythm threes, and good D overall. Fla is a very talented team. They will be scary in March. Nice comeback from X, and good showing. They never quit.

One minor criticism is Steele's keeping timeouts in his pocket again. It's one thing if you have a well oiled machine on offense with guys likeBluiett, Macura, Kanter, etc....but that ain't the case this year. Not by a long shot. One instance was Jones getting tripled teamed in the post, and instead of calling a T.O., he waited until Jones traveled.

Also, down 3 with 30 seconds, he should have called a timeout for a quick two, or open three. The fact that they got one was incidental, as Scruggs had a wide open three, but that's not the way it was playing out.

Lastly, this tournament, as the previous 4 games showed Scruggs is the best player on this team, and no one is even close. He is playing himself into at least a 2nd Team All BE player, and legitimate 2nd round NBA pick.
i disagree with this. he knew EXACTLY what he wanted to do there because FLA had gone to their 1-3-1 so he knew he wanted that back screen on the wing for Scruggs to fade towards corner and he got it. perfectly executed. watch the play again. i don't fault him for that. and that's the guy i want taking that shot.

i agree on possibly taking timeouts at other times. but not then. players executed exactly what he wanted there and got the shot they wanted from the guy they wanted taking it. it just didn't go in.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:03 am

XU80 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:01 am
Games in November/December are about getting the record and quality wins built up for Selection Sunday. That said, remember we have 7 new players on the roster and evaluating the talent now is the key to a good run in the Big East.

Here are the positives from last night:

1.) Our defense got the stops down the stretch to make this a close game. Florida scored 6 points in the final 8 minutes
2.) Zach Freemantle is playing like a sophomore certainly not a freshman after 7 games
3.) Paul Scruggs is a nightmare to defend, he is our goto guy in crunch time
4.) The two big threes by Q, hope this gets him back to being a much bigger contributor.
5.) Tyrique played very tough inside, kept Blackshear in check for most of the game

Here are the negatives:
1.) Turnovers
2.) Jason Carter Defense on the ball was just not good.
3.) Naji disappeared
4.) Paul Scruggs fouls
5.) Dahmir Bishop is a freshman and looks like a freshman
6.) Tyique's insistance to put the ball on the floor when he gets the pass deep in the post.
7.) Three Point shooting
hard to disagree with a lot of this but i will say this - if a team shoots over 60% from the field vs another team, i'm guessing you don't have to look at any other stat for that game, and that team probably wins over 95% of the time. did some of that have to do with our terrible defense? yes. did some of that have to do with the fact that we gave them plenty of easy ones off our turnovers? yes.

the fact that we had 16 turnovers, gave up 22 points off of them, AND FLA shot 60%, it's amazing we were even IN a one-possession game at the end.

i know he tracks KILLS (3 stops in a row) but i was wondering if they track the OPPOSITE of a kill, which is letting a team SCORE 3 possessions in a row. how many of those you think FLA had last night? 5 or 6? that's just a guess. I wonder if you GIVE UP 7 "opposite kills", does that mean you have a 98% chance of LOSING the game? felt that way last night.

when this team isn't dialed in on defense for 40 minutes, it's gonna be a problem, especially in our league. FLA is good. they're gonna be in the top half of the SEC and be in the tourney in March, for sure. they were just quicker/faster than us. EVERYONE was getting beat off the dribble. NO ONE could keep anyone in front of them the whole game. that was the difference.

i'll add that i didn't think the refs helped us much but whatever.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:31 am

All good points, but not calling a timeout at the end only allowed us one shot to tie the game and it pretty much had to be a three and only allowed us one shot. Steele also could have stopped the bleeding a few times, but maybe this should help down the road. Our best players need to have good games at the same game tondo any damage in the tourney. Good comeback
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:54 am

I have been checking other teams box scores and many have the same shooting issues as X. Let's face it to date this season along with last season we are not a very good consistent shooting team. However, we are a team with a huge set of balls!! We continue to scramble on D and attack the basket. We will get our share of wins playing all out and praying our shooting improves a bit. Its a long season and our young guys will mature and our transfers will get a better feel for Steele's coaching. I like our chances to have a successful season. I see our warts we just need to continue grinding. Can you imagine if we played this type of D when we had Blouiett and company firing three's? Also, it appears this team has great chemistry.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:42 am

Morning all ! Enjoying all the banter, some solid observations by many. Excuse my tone earlier when I posted about carter's D. I was in a foul mood as the game had just turned against us again after our first mid 2nd half comeback. But alas, we took an "L" but fought hard until the end. Responding to AH, I get your point, but way back in that Mizzou game, I mentioned that down the stretch and in OT, seemed Mizzou often would run their motion offense until they got a player matched against Carter, then that player would attack the basket. Yesterday, even the female announcer observed FL often was looking for that same mismatch. I'm not saying he is a disaster on D. Hell, Tyrique got burned on a pump fake and crossover drive by Blackshear late in a crucial possession so it happens. I'm just saying Carter is ultra vulnerable to quick slashers, and that will need to be factored into any overall defensive scheme considerations as we head into facing better teams. Plus, given he seems timid and, so far, unable to find much offense against better competition, we may need to tone down our expectations. If you notice, very late when we had cut it to 3 the first time, FL missed a shot and the ball bounced an extra time on the rim, during that extra bounce Jason got easily shoved to the side and out of contention for the vital defensive rebound. Resulting in a dagger stick-back. As mentioned by others, he needs to play with more assertiveness and confidence. Be "shot'ready" off the pass more often, as he has a somewhat slow release but a nice shot. Very glad he chose to join us for his last 2 years, don't get me wrong, he will be more of a positive overall. We are 6-1 and have looked decent in stretches, so the sky is not falling.
Bottom line, my base reaction to yesterday's barometer type challenge: Kyky better be the real deal and add instant offensive ability or this team will under achieve pre-season expectations. As we flat out struggle to score the ball many times down the floor. Thank God for Paul last evening.

* PS. count me on the side of no time out was the correct move on that last possession. Team was playing with confidence and Naji had the ball out top. He made the right pass and Paul who got a feet set, in rhythm, wide stinking open 3....
Michigan Musketeer

Postby Michigan Musketeer » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:11 pm

Disappointed but the team showed grit fighting back from 17 down. Numerous turnovers early and some crucial ones late hurt our chances against a good team. Would sure help if we could stop passing the ball to the other team. Sure hope we can get Tandy on the court soon-hope his injury isn't worse than reported.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:42 pm

Hard to believe that going runner up in a solid tourney and losing against a potential top ten team could drop us down so much in the poll.
xavier71

Postby xavier71 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:15 pm

In MY opinion: Florida game positives - Paul Scruggs scores 24 pts. Florida game negatives - Paul Scruggs scores 24 pts. Don't get me wrong, I think Scruggs is great. His heart and effort cannot be questioned, but I'm not ready to elevate him to first team All Big East when you have 1 assist, 6 turnovers and 5 fouls. This team will not win with one guy getting 22 shots and your other two scorers getting 8 and 2. People are saying Marshall and
Carter were non-entities, especially in the second half. What are they supposed to do, steal the ball from Scruggs. When those 3 get 32 shots it should probably break down to 12, 12, and 8. Too much dribbling. Move (share) the ball. When one person is controlling the ball and taking all the shots, the others just stand around. Three assists from your 2 guards is not good. Maybe it's on TS, I don't know. Still waiting for the pick and pop we were going to see with Carter instead of the 20 pick and rolls each game with Jones. I also would like to see them post up Marshall on the low block where he's unstoppable and finally, how about playing Jones and Freemantle at the same time. It took TS a half year to play Hankins and Jones at the same time but look what happened when they did.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:16 pm

xavier71 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:15 pm
In MY opinion: Florida game positives - Paul Scruggs scores 24 pts. Florida game negatives - Paul Scruggs scores 24 pts. Don't get me wrong, I think Scruggs is great. His heart and effort cannot be questioned, but I'm not ready to elevate him to first team All Big East when you have 1 assist, 6 turnovers and 5 fouls. This team will not win with one guy getting 22 shots and your other two scorers getting 8 and 2. People are saying Marshall and
Carter were non-entities, especially in the second half. What are they supposed to do, steal the ball from Scruggs. When those 3 get 32 shots it should probably break down to 12, 12, and 8. Too much dribbling. Move (share) the ball. When one person is controlling the ball and taking all the shots, the others just stand around. Three assists from your 2 guards is not good. Maybe it's on TS, I don't know. Still waiting for the pick and pop we were going to see with Carter instead of the 20 pick and rolls each game with Jones. I also would like to see them post up Marshall on the low block where he's unstoppable and finally, how about playing Jones and Freemantle at the same time. It took TS a half year to play Hankins and Jones at the same time but look what happened when they did.
I think if Ramsey brings something to the table we will see Freemantle and Jones or Freemantle and Ramsey or Jones and Ramsey. Without that third guy, you cannot afford to play them together but a Carter, Ramsey, Freemantle, and Jones mix might help all of them. Just like a KyKy, Q, Scruggs at the point might help Travis is trying to work in different guys together and admitted that some of the miscommunications have come from guys playing together that normally don't play together.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”