Florida vs Xavier game thread 11/24/19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-lucidity

Re: Florida vs Xavier game thread 11/24/19

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:06 pm

So I mention a little over a week ago that it seemed Carter is weak on D guarding wing players. Multiple posters said I did not know what I was talking about..........
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:07 pm

Please tell me why Goodin is in the game?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:32 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:07 pm
Please tell me why Goodin is in the game?
what to rethink that remark?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:39 pm

Not really. Team needs to play a complete game, but nice comeback.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:39 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:06 pm
So I mention a little over a week ago that it seemed Carter is weak on D guarding wing players. Multiple posters said I did not know what I was talking about..........
X Luc,

I've got to disagree with you. It wasn't his best game for sure, but all our guys got burned on switches. He will never be able to stay in front of a quick guard, but I think he is better that most "4"s at guarding wings.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:46 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:39 pm
X-lucidity wrote:
X Luc,

I've got to disagree with you. It wasn't his best game for sure, but all our guys got burned on switches. He will never be able to stay in front of a quick guard, but I think he is better that most "4"s at guarding wings.
I'd just like to see him not be so shy to take the shot. He took 2 shots tonight and acted like the ball was on to hot to handle. He is a good shooter but if you don't take them you can't make them.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:47 pm

Got to give Q props. He was rough in the 1st 25 minutes, with forcing some passes, and a couple of explicable drives he lost out of bounds, but he hit 3 in rhythm threes, and good D overall. Fla is a very talented team. They will be scary in March. Nice comeback from X, and good showing. They never quit.

One minor criticism is Steele's keeping timeouts in his pocket again. It's one thing if you have a well oiled machine on offense with guys likeBluiett, Macura, Kanter, etc....but that ain't the case this year. Not by a long shot. One instance was Jones getting tripled teamed in the post, and instead of calling a T.O., he waited until Jones traveled.

Also, down 3 with 30 seconds, he should have called a timeout for a quick two, or open three. The fact that they got one was incidental, as Scruggs had a wide open three, but that's not the way it was playing out.

Lastly, this tournament, as the previous 4 games showed Scruggs is the best player on this team, and no one is even close. He is playing himself into at least a 2nd Team All BE player, and legitimate 2nd round NBA pick.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:49 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:46 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
X-lucidity wrote:
X Luc,

I'd just like to see him not be so shy to take the shot. He took 2 shots tonight and acted like the ball was on to hot to handle. He is a good shooter but if you don't take them you can't make them.
I agree. He had a smaller player defending him, so I wish Steele called some plays where he can catch it facing up at the elbow, and either shoot, drive, or back the player into the lane. However, he defers too much. X needs him to exert himself offensively.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:49 pm

skyhops wrote:
Not really. Team needs to play a complete game, but nice comeback.
4-9 and 3-4 from three for 11 points with 5 rebounds 2 assists and a steal. He brought us to within three when no one wanted to take the shot.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:55 pm

Not one of Steele's best coaching efforts. Once again I agree with AH in that we should have called a TO in order to get a quick two or an open three, so that we would have more time if we miss which we did. We took of more time just dribbling around and running into an open three. Also, it seemed as though we did not do a good job reading the scouting report since they exposed Carter and our guards on screens. Agree with MM regarding Carter, who looked like a deer in headlights at time. Hopefully we learn from this and try and play a complete game. Tough game for Naji

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”