All decade team

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

All decade team

Postby muskieman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:30 pm

As we go into the second decade of this century let's take a look at the players that made the last ten years so successful for Xavier. We have the likes of Jordan Crawford, Jason Love, Tu Holloway, Mark Lyons, Kenny Frease, Dante Jackson, Dez Wells, Brad Redford, Justin Martin, Dee Davis, Semjs Christon, James Farr, Matt Stainbrook, Jalen Reynolds, Trevon Bluiett, Remy Abell, J. P. Macura, Sean O'Mara, Ed Sumner, Kaiser Gates, Rashid Gaston, Malcolm Bernard, Naji Marshall, Quenton Goodin, Tyrique Jones, Paul Scruggs, Zach Hankins, Ryan Welage, Kyle Castin to name a few.

Who would be your first team, your 6th, 7th man and who is the MVP of the decade? You could make a second team and maybe the most disappointing players? And for people that like the walk on greats make up a team.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
longliveskip

Re: All decade team

Postby longliveskip » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:08 pm

i saw Shannon Russell post this and i think i may need to print out all the rosters from 2009-2010 to this season and try to come up with a starting 5.

should be fun.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:18 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:08 pm
i saw Shannon Russell post this and i think i may need to print out all the rosters from 2009-2010 to this season and try to come up with a starting 5.

should be fun.
I made a try at giving you the names of all the major players but might have missed someone. I thought a lineup of best walk-ons might be fun but to come up with the best 5 is tough. There are obvious ones but people can make a case for others too! What would really be tough would be the players since Cintas opened.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:20 pm

Can't forget Edmond either. I don't think we've had a great, consistent center. I'd say Matt Stainbrook might have been the best overall. He could shoot from beyond 1 foot, had good court vision, passed well and rebounded sufficiently. Jason Love was a worker who improved is game greatly over his years here. I could make a case for him as well with his rebounding and baby hooks.
Other starters would be Tu, Crawford and Blueitt (sp?) at the guards and maybe Hankins as F. My 6th man would be JP for bringing strength off the bench at both ends and lighting a fire under the team when needed. 7th would be Naji when defense was needed, though with these guys, he would not have a need to shoot 3's and would have more open lanes, so he could start some or be 6th man at times. Farr could also be a choice at F as his last year and a half he was a great rebounder and put back guy.
Many others had vital roles in the success of the program.
Just one man's opinion.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:57 pm

Muskieman,

There's a reason why I was given moderator finall editing rights this summer. No Obi Harris, Adrion Graves, or Boubacar Coly? Completely makes this exercise illegitimate. You really screwed the pooch om this one my friend.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:05 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:57 pm
Muskieman,

There's a reason why I was given moderator finall editing rights this summer. No Obi Harris, Adrion Graves, or Boubacar Coly? Completely makes this exercise illegitimate. You really screwed the pooch om this one my friend.
I knew they were your guys so I left them off because most of the guys on this site know some basketball.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:08 am

muskieman wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:30 pm
As we go into the second decade of this century let's take a look at the players that made the last ten years so successful for Xavier. We have the likes of Jordan Crawford, Jason Love, Tu Holloway, Mark Lyons, Kenny Frease, Dante Jackson, Dez Wells, Brad Redford, Justin Martin, Dee Davis, Semjs Christon, James Farr, Matt Stainbrook, Jalen Reynolds, Trevon Bluiett, Remy Abell, J. P. Macura, Sean O'Mara, Ed Sumner, Kaiser Gates, Rashid Gaston, Malcolm Bernard, Naji Marshall, Quenton Goodin, Tyrique Jones, Paul Scruggs, Zach Hankins, Ryan Welage, Kyle Castin to name a few.

Who would be your first team, your 6th, 7th man and who is the MVP of the decade? You could make a second team and maybe the most disappointing players? And for people that like the walk on greats make up a team.
PG - Tu Holloway - Clutch FT’s
SG - Jordan Crawford - Bombs Away
SF - Trevon Blueitt - Pure Scorer
PF - James Farr - All Glue
C - Jason Love - A Winner

6th Man - Semaj Christon - Talented
7th Man - JP Macura - Savvy Competitor

MVP = Tu or a fellow whom I did not select, Matt Stainbrook, an overachiever who was the unselfish heart and soul of his teams.

Most Disappointing - Griffin McKenzie and Kaiser Gates.

Nice list to choose from and expect disagreements. Toughest selection I had was for the 6th Man. Also tried to craft a team that might possibly work together with one basketball, although JC certainly complicates that measure. Looking forward to the thoughts of others.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:19 pm

Best in past decade:

PG - Tu Holloway - Clutch free throw shooting as a freshman pg, when he hit every free throw to help X win the San Juan tourney. Helped X win the Shootout by getting in that loud mouthed guard from UC whose name escapes me; currently in the NBA.
SG - Jordan Crawford – Jordan Crawford (best pure scorer along with David West)
SF - Trevon Blueitt – Best can and shoot player at X. Redford was a close 2nd.
PF - James Farr
C - Zac Hankins.

Honorable mentions: - JP Macura, Ed Sumner, Semaj.

MVP – Tu Holloway.

Most Disappointing: (Hated this was part of the poll)- Kenny Frease, Justin Martin, Griffin McKenzie , Q.

Biggest left ventricle: Dee Davis.

NOW, Best all time:

Best overall team:

PG - Tu Holloway
SG - Jordan Crawford
SF – James Posey
PF – David West
C - Tyrone Hill

Honorable mentions: Trevon Bluiett, Romain Sato, JP Macura, Semaj Christon, Zac Hankins, Justin Cage & Brian Grant.

Biggest right ventricle: Justin Cage.

What could have been:

Lloyd Price
Dez Wells
David Young

In 2001, X had West, Frey, Chalmers, Sato, Alvin Brown, David Young, & Lloyd Price, among others. If this same lineup stayed intact for the next year, I think X would have made the F-4. It would have been the best top 7 at X ever, IMO.

Worst recruit swap: In 2004 or 05, X chose Churchill Odia, over Kyle Lowery, who wanted to come to X. It happens.

Best under the radar recruit: Brian Grant, who was offered a scholly when Skip’s assistant (Battle?) went to watch one practice in tiny Georgetown OH. I think his 1st choice was UC, which makes it that much sweeter.

Best Coach: Sean Miller.

Best year: 2008-09, when he took a team with some very good, but no great player to the E-8. His team should also have beaten the number one seed in 07’ when the refs missed Greg Oden shoving Cage out of bounds. Masterful strategy by SM putting Cage on Oden, pulling him out of the lane. It was also the game when end game strategy was changed forever. Instead of fouling Lewis on OSU with seconds to go, he took a handoff from Conley and tied the game with a three. X obviously lost.

Note: Some dates could be off by a year. Too lazy to look it up.

Edit: Apologies to Aaron Williams, Derek Strong, and the great Byron Larkin, who all should be towards the top of the honorable mentions list.
Theology73

Postby Theology73 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:27 pm

AH, your opinion is valid, but you must be too young to remember the only player in X history to average 30 points per game for an entire season and score 50 points in one game. To leave Steve Thomas off your all time team, even as just an honorable mention, seems ludicrous.
Mark Twain was wrong. Golf is NOT a good walk spoiled. It is a shared personal experience in a majestic wonderland guided by God, whose name is called frequently during the round.
gundun

Postby gundun » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:36 pm

Theology73,
Another player that shouldn't be forgotten is Bob Pelkington. Bob Knight once told me that the 1964 team was Top Ten, especially without the one cancer-type player.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”