Lipcomb vs X 11/30/19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-lucidity

Re: Lipcomb vs X 11/30/19

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:16 am

Clarification- I like Carter. Great teammate and hustles. Preseason pundits just had ballooned my expectations. Not the player’s fault as he is trying and, I agree with AH, will improve at this level. The “disappointment” is due to my eye-ball test versus what the picture painted had been leading up to real games. IMHO, he is better suited as a 6th man. My take is, come BE play, he will not be starting. Rooting hard for him and all, through thick & thin as they say. One man’s opinion, after the aforementioned “eye-ball test”
bleedXblue

Postby bleedXblue » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:59 am

Carter has played for the most part some pretty good D. And that more than anything will keep him on the floor. Lets also not forget that this team has multiple guys that can score on any given night. Freemantle led the team with 15 yesterday.......Carter average 16 PPG for a bad OU team where he was the #1 or #2 option every time down the floor.

If he can give this team 10 PPG and 5 RPG as an average, that would be huge. Scruggs, Jones and Naji are all going to get more shots this year. That's just the way it is.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:34 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:16 am
Clarification- I like Carter. Great teammate and hustles. Preseason pundits just had ballooned my expectations. Not the player’s fault as he is trying and, I agree with AH, will improve at this level. The “disappointment” is due to my eye-ball test versus what the picture painted had been leading up to real games. IMHO, he is better suited as a 6th man. My take is, come BE play, he will not be starting. Rooting hard for him and all, through thick & thin as they say. One man’s opinion, after the aforementioned “eye-ball test”
I don't dislike Carter. I think he is just what X needs to round out the talent. I believe he has been timid at times and the last few games have left some inside shots short. OF course, one person, on here, thinks that is hating on a player but then he is full of himself so he likes to project. I think Carter is trying to find his shot, just like Q and to some extent Naji, but his D has only been bad when he has a much quicker opponent that has a good handle.

One thing I liked was the number of players that saw the floor against the Bisons. I hope that Ramsey, and James continue to show us they can contribute. Ramsey will give X that big guy X will need against the Seton Hall, Georgetown, and Creighton bigs.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:01 pm

Yes MM, nice to see Ramsey and look forward to him earning more minutes. He seemed more athletic than I imagined, which was a welcome sight. Plus, have to hand it to D. James. He must work his ass off in practice to keep earning minutes. Nothing flashy in games but makes lots of effort plays to keep the ball alive. Fun week ahead
Jesseandrippers

Postby Jesseandrippers » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:26 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:33 pm
X-lucidity wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:14 pm
Sorry to keep beating this now nearly deceased horse, but: Face it, Carter is a disappointment. We have enough of a sample size. Best contribution is as a stretch 4 as he can hit a wide open 3. Thankfully Freemantle looks promising
X-luc,

I expected to see Muskieman's relentless criticism of Carter in his previous post in this thread, but have to say I'm disappointed in seeing it from you. I do agree he has been underwhelming, but he was pretty efficient today, being 2-7 from the floor, while logging 3 blocks, and 5 boards in less than 20 minutes. He is still rushing shots, but he is not taking unwarranted ones. I'd be much more concerned if he was shooting sky hooks, or 25 foot threes, but think his flaws are the easiest to fix of theother starter's flaws.

I don't disagree his numbers should be curtailed, and they were, at least today. However, with Tandy now being available, there should be 15-20 minutes allocated to him, depending on his play. I also think Moore deserves more minutes as well. I am still high on Bishop, but he has been abysmal offensively. He is a very good defender for a freshman, but as X starts to play stiffer competition, they cannot afford wasted possessions with his shooting, and we already have enough with the starting 5.

I still am high on Carter, and feel he'll regain his form, much like Kanter did two years ago, and to a lesser extent, Hankins last year.
There is nothing wrong with a well timed sky hook.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”