tacitus

A Good Night for the Big East

Postby tacitus » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:26 am

The Big East went 7-0 tonight. Wins in order of opponent's RPI:

St Johns beat WVU (#2) at home.*
X beat UC (#29) at home.
Butler beat Florida (#31) at home.
Marquette beat Kansas State (#158) on the road.*
Georgetown gave SMU (#199) its first loss of the season on the road.
Creighton beat Nebraska (#214) at home.
Villanova beat St Joes (#242) on the road.

*Big East-Big 12 Challenge

The conference is now third in conference RPI. This is meaningless in itself. But if the conference finishes strong in OOC play, it means that all teams above .500 in conference play will have a strong case for an at large bid come March. Very nice after our lackluster performance in the Gavit Games.

Note that we are 4-0 in the Big East-Big 12 Challenge currently. The Big 12 is currently the top league in the conference RPI. The remaining 6 games in that series could be huge come March!
Let's March!
tacitus

Re: A Good Night for the Big East

Postby tacitus » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:30 am

Oh, and note that St Johns is our lowest ranked team in the RPI, whereas WVU is the Big 12's second highest ranked team. What a huge win that was!
Let's March!
tacitus

Postby tacitus » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:46 pm

Another nice weekend for the Big East, as we went undefeated, with some of our most impressive wins of the season. The league went 10-0.

Most impressive wins:

Villanova took down #1 Kansas.
St. Johns manhandled #16 Arizona on a neutral court.
Providence beat Texas at home.

The league also picked up a pair of Ws against the Big 10.

We now have the best OOC win% at 0.7934. Per Warren Nolan, we are first in the RPI and NET conference rankings.

There is only one more day of OOC games for the league left after Christmas. Though Nova plays UCONN and Temple after conference play starts. It is safe to say our position in these rankings are all but locked in. A huge accomplishment.

We may not have any contenders at this point in the season, but, top to bottom, it is fair to argue we are the toughest league this year. If we do not get at least 5 bids, then the Selection Committee is hypocritical for using the NCAAs own metrics at their discretion!!

Beyond that, we will tons of opportunities for Q1 wins and few opportunities for bad losses the rest of the year. The season is just starting!

Obviously the voters in the AP and Coaches' polls are not being swayed by the RPI and NET as of yet...
Let's March!
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:58 am

The Big XII v Big East series is a benefit to both conferences win or lose. Kudos to the BE for putting that and the Big X challenge together. I love being in the Big East.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:00 am

Only one more thing to do - get universal buy-in that the BEbis the 6th Power Conference in Basketball.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Nova winning tournaments has probably succeeded in getting recognition by most that the conference is top tier. Continued placement in the top 3 RPI doesn't hurt either. Small private schools however certainly reduce the appeal for many in the media. 10 schools makes it easier to game the RPI but it is a further setback with media appeal. Adding UCON is a step forward in growing additional media coverage but you probably want an additional 3 quality programs, ideally state schools or new markets but anyone winning consistently would be good.

I haven't followed Wichita state or VCU much over the past few years but they were certainly good candidates at 1 point. UD doesn't fit any of the criteria other than being a winning program. I know most here have no interest in them joining the conference. I'm against it only because it doesn't give the conference access to a new market nor are they a large state school. If there are no worthy state schools or similarly successful programs to add from the right markets then I'd be on board with UD joining the conference but there is no rush given the success of the conference.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:41 pm

madness31 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:24 pm
Nova winning tournaments has probably succeeded in getting recognition by most that the conference is top tier. Continued placement in the top 3 RPI doesn't hurt either. Small private schools however certainly reduce the appeal for many in the media. 10 schools makes it easier to game the RPI but it is a further setback with media appeal. Adding UCON is a step forward in growing additional media coverage but you probably want an additional 3 quality programs, ideally state schools or new markets but anyone winning consistently would be good.

I haven't followed Wichita state or VCU much over the past few years but they were certainly good candidates at 1 point. UD doesn't fit any of the criteria other than being a winning program. I know most here have no interest in them joining the conference. I'm against it only because it doesn't give the conference access to a new market nor are they a large state school. If there are no worthy state schools or similarly successful programs to add from the right markets then I'd be on board with UD joining the conference but there is no rush given the success of the conference.
Sorry but that is a big no on UD under any circumstance. There are many valid reasons. I’d be happy to share them if you don’t already know them.
OUmuskie

Postby OUmuskie » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:30 pm

Here is one reason...

Dayton joined the MCC in 1989. Other teams were to join the conference. However, there was a clause in the contract that enabled a team to opt out if certain teams dropped out. Well, Dayton drops out of the league to join Conference USA. Teams that were supposed to join the MCC did not, and that left Xavier alone in a tough spot. Marquette was in the conference for only three years and I suspect that this gave them an out.

So, instead of a conference with Dayton, Butler, Marquette and Xavier, (the makings of a nice conference) it was Butler, Xavier, Oral Roberts, Evansville, Loyola etc.

The way i remember it, the first shoe to drop was Dayton. I always thought it was a crummy maneuver on their part. That being said, all schools are looking out for their OWN best interests.

So, if Xavier has a vote to get Dayton in the Big East, why would they possible vote for UD? Dayton hosed Xavier years ago. UD sent a message, they are in this for themselves. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, why would Xavier lend a hand? Dayton would NOT substantially extend the market. Adding Dayton would only make it more difficult to attract players to Xavier. Why would XAVIER want them in the league? Quite simply, they don't.

Perhaps, someone else remembers this scenario differently. It was a long time ago.
JTG

Postby JTG » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:37 pm

UConn being added was an unusual case. Their football is a mess nearing a point of no return. Adding 3 more big state schools is a non starter for a couple reasons. Big state schools have football, the BE does not have football. In college sports football drives the bus.VCU and Wichita don't move the needle for the general public. ( Unless they were playing X, I wouldn't switch on the tv to watch either one). Nova, Marquette, and Georgetown are national brands, and the rest of us are solid contributors. The BE was created for basketball, and will do fine at 11. As for UD, oh hell no.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:09 am

OUmuskie wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:30 pm
Here is one reason...

Dayton joined the MCC in 1989. Other teams were to join the conference. However, there was a clause in the contract that enabled a team to opt out if certain teams dropped out. Well, Dayton drops out of the league to join Conference USA. Teams that were supposed to join the MCC did not, and that left Xavier alone in a tough spot. Marquette was in the conference for only three years and I suspect that this gave them an out.

So, instead of a conference with Dayton, Butler, Marquette and Xavier, (the makings of a nice conference) it was Butler, Xavier, Oral Roberts, Evansville, Loyola etc.

The way i remember it, the first shoe to drop was Dayton. I always thought it was a crummy maneuver on their part. That being said, all schools are looking out for their OWN best interests.

So, if Xavier has a vote to get Dayton in the Big East, why would they possible vote for UD? Dayton hosed Xavier years ago. UD sent a message, they are in this for themselves. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, why would Xavier lend a hand? Dayton would NOT substantially extend the market. Adding Dayton would only make it more difficult to attract players to Xavier. Why would XAVIER want them in the league? Quite simply, they don't.

Perhaps, someone else remembers this scenario differently. It was a long time ago.
I would add to this that UD’s coach at the time, Jim O’Brien had publicly announced that UD would stay in the MCC and then turned around and left. That is when we started calling them “The Liars”. The reason for Marquette and Dayton to leave as I recall was to join a 4 team rotational mini-league engineered by Notre Dame. I believe DePaul was the fourth team. Just added to my distaste for ND basketball. When that experiment failed and ended with UD the odd man out (Marquette and DePaul to the Big Eastwith ND as Big East for basketball only). X then graciously helped UD to get onto the A-10, where they reside today. No way for UD.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”