TCU Game

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskienick

Re: TCU Game

Postby muskienick » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:53 pm

I was very pleased that the Muskies held such a substantial lead in the last 5-8 minutes that they knew that letting the clock run as much as possible was their best friend. So they gave up much of their lead --- they played well enough to win by 8 points against a decent team who play in one of the elite conferences in the Country and we did it all in their own building. We have two gaping aspects of the game to work on and improve: shooting free throws and taking care of the ball (not that I had to tell the other 10,000+ of you XU fans!). We have gotten much better in our shooting accuracy both inside and beyond the arc. We also have developed more depth in our bench than a number of other teams with good records. And our defense, especially when needed most, has, for the most part, been much better than it was in the beginning of the year. KyKy (recently) and Zach Freemantle are getting better and better as the season progresses (Zach especially!). Getting a little more consistency off the bench\ from Dontarius James and Dahmir Bishop could go a long way in solidifying our depth until Frosh, Daniel Ramsey, gets totally healthy. I am encouraged as an XU fan (although I still have to avoid watching away games live until I've checked the final score "to see if it's SAFE"!!!).
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, & Mack represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. AD Christopher and Head Coach Steele will bring us to an even higher level!
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:10 pm

It did seem that some of the players may have started their Christmas break just a touch early, but I’d also say that they played their best game of the year for the first 30 minutes. The defended well, they shared the ball well, and they didn’t force shots. The turnovers were way too many and unfortunately that does seem to be an ongoing problem, but I think that some of them were just bad luck, and a few of them were certainly bad calls too. Won’t happen in every game. 11-3 non-conf record and only a few points from being undefeated. Hard to complain about that!
#WHYNOTX?
JTG

Postby JTG » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:47 pm

JGS wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:18 pm
This was a good win because it was a road win and because we were dogs; but why can't this team put a game away? When are we going to see them win going away? This is becoming a bit frustrating. I probable should not be complaining , but WHEW!!
When you have that type lead you're playing against the clock, not the opponent. Using up 30 seconds everytime down the floor is as effective as scoring. I was amazed they finally had the discipline to milk the clock and not jack up random shots 12 seconds into the shot clock.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:03 am

Clock - schlmock.....! Who cares. So our solid 14pt spread wound up 8. After a choppy non-conference slate I for one will take yesterday's performance as my 1st Christmas present!!!! We coasted to the finish line, and as many have noted, at least we wisely milked the clock. TCU hit one super long 3-pointer that seemed to be launched from New Mexico.... Good for them. I loved X's tenacity on the boards and on help D from the first minute on last night. Balanced offensive performance. Carter even played well. (except he still makes a few lazy-telegraphed passes in the half court O sets to suit me). Freemantle plays with a 'tude, love it. Zach is gonna be a bit inconsistent and have Frosh moments but, Good God, he already plays like he belongs in the BE. Speaking of the BE, what a last 4 days. ;-) So thanks to the X-Men and coaches as i shall watch a replay of that game late on Christmas eve after the wife and kids go off to bed!. Very solid win yesterday in every capacity. Even Kyky off the bench.
Merry Christmas to all of us diehards out here in Xavier Nation. Last night was just what the Dr. ordered....!

PS. Oh and speaking of Diehard, yes Virginia, that is a Christmas movie.......
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:21 pm

Some very good takes in this thread, starting with Chitown's take on Marshall,which as a moderator, makes me very proud. As good as Marshall is overall, he still makes 4-6 mind numbing turnovers and forced shots a game. He made a couple of nice threes, thanks to great passes by Q, which set him up nicely for threes he should take (not 27 footers or step backs).

Q continues to play well in his 4 game resurgence, and quest to become the Comeback Player of The Year in the BE. Carter is playing better and better each game as well. TCU is no juggernaut, and is a bubble team at best. However, it was their first true non-conference road win, so it was important. Despite the 21 turnovers and poor free throw shooting, X lead the game wire to wire, and it was never really in doubt after the 1st 10 minutes. They showed why most pre-season polls picked them as a top 25 team. It was their best overall shooting and 3 point percentage game of the year, against the third best opponent Ok, we know the non-conference schedule blows, but you still have to beat who you play), and not coincidentally, the fewest threes they took in a game. You’re welcome Travis (we know he reads my posts,as CM did).

The most important element was Kyky’s play, who showed for the first time what Steele has said all year: “He is the best shooter and scorer on the team. X has 2 true 3 level scorers In Scruggs and Marshall, but both lack consistency. Kyky is going to be very important in BE play.

Merry Xmas to all who grace the board I am privileged to moderate, as well as my Co-moderators. One is going to get a lump of coal from AH during our gift exchange.

Seacrest Out.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:26 pm

AH you need to get an Avatar as a Mod
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:31 pm

X-lucidity wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:03 am
Clock - schlmock.....! Who cares. So our solid 14pt spread wound up 8. After a choppy non-conference slate I for one will take yesterday's performance as my 1st Christmas present!!!! We coasted to the finish line, and as many have noted, at least we wisely milked the clock. TCU hit one super long 3-pointer that seemed to be launched from New Mexico.... Good for them. I loved X's tenacity on the boards and on help D from the first minute on last night. Balanced offensive performance. Carter even played well. (except he still makes a few lazy-telegraphed passes in the half court O sets to suit me). Freemantle plays with a 'tude, love it. Zach is gonna be a bit inconsistent and have Frosh moments but, Good God, he already plays like he belongs in the BE. Speaking of the BE, what a last 4 days. ;-) So thanks to the X-Men and coaches as i shall watch a replay of that game late on Christmas eve after the wife and kids go off to bed!. Very solid win yesterday in every capacity. Even Kyky off the bench.
Merry Christmas to all of us diehards out here in Xavier Nation. Last night was just what the Dr. ordered....!

PS. Oh and speaking of Diehard, yes Virginia, that is a Christmas movie.......
Ditto on Freemantle. Loved him from game 1. Wait until the training staff makes a finished product out of him. He will be chiseled and a beast like Tyrique. Loved that he chalked up a three also.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:32 pm

olsingledigit wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:31 pm

Ditto on Freemantle. Loved him from game 1. Wait until the training staff makes a finished product out of him. He will be chiseled and a beast like Tyrique. Loved that he chalked up a three also.
On the post game radio show, Coach Steele said that Freemantle is the hardest working freshman that he has EVER seen. That he is in the gym at 7 am and shots 200 three pointers every morning.

Steele said that he actually called the play for FM to shoot the 3 and told him that if he was open that he wanted him to take it.
Last edited by kyzrex on Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#WHYNOTX?
madness31

Postby madness31 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:47 pm

Jones had a monster game and Q continued his smart play. Carter was looking strong but then had several silly turnovers. Given the team had an obscene number of TOs, it wasn't just Carter not taking care of the ball.

You gotta love Freemantle but Kyky looked much more relaxed on the floor and in my opinion is a game changer. He might take expectations for this team from round of 32 to sweet 16. Definitely too early to take that position but a consistent shooting threat would be huge. I love Scruggs but he is not a dependable outside shooter. His form is not good and it will prevent him from ever being an elite shooter. Marshall and Q are solid shooters when they are not forcing or rushing shots but deep shots are more about keeping the defense honest. Tandy has a smooth shot and is smooth with the ball. He adds a different element the team needs.

Good to hear Freemantle is taking 3s on a regular basis in practice. If he can also stretch the defense it would also be a big plus.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:59 am

kyzrex wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:32 pm
olsingledigit wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:31 pm

On the post game radio show, Coach Steele said that Freemantle is the hardest working freshman that he has EVER seen. That he is in the gym at 7 am and shots 200 three pointers every morning.

Steele said that he actually called the play for FM to shoot the 3 and told him that if he was open that he wanted him to take it.
haven't had a "pick and pop" big man who was actually a threat from 3 since the likes the of Duncan/Doellmann so it would be nice to have that weapon in our offensive arsenal. and to be specific, I believe Zach gets in at 7 am and doesn't leave until he MAKES 200 3 pointers. just clarifying. :)

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”