Nova game thread 12/30/19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Nova game thread 12/30/19

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:26 am
I hear that Bishop is in the transfer portal, which doesn't surprise me or my sources. These transfers do not help our depth especially for years to come. Should we be worried about the development of some of our players in recent years?
Yes. UC is Exhibit A. Two or three of their 3 star freshman play (including during the shootout) and one, Adams (pg), is starting to having a very good year. This is why we've lost 3 or 4 guards (including 2 four stars)in the last three years, and have only two recruits from this year's class contributing. I'm sure playing zero minutes in front of friends and family was the last straw. Steele can be tone deaf in these type of situations.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:29 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm
skyhops wrote:
I hear that Bishop is in the transfer portal, which doesn't surprise me or my sources. These transfers do not help our depth especially for years to come. Should we be worried about the development of some of our players in recent years?
Yes. UC is Exhibit A. Two or three of their 3 star freshman play (including during the shootout) and one, Adams (pg), is starting to having a very good year. This is why we've lost 3 or 4 guards (including 2 four stars)in the last three years, and have only two recruits from this year's class contributing. I'm sure playing zero minutes in front of friends and family was the last straw. Steele can be tone deaf in these type of situations.
have you ever considered that it's Bishop who may be a little tone deaf? Steele said you earn your minutes in practice. your scholarship doesn't guarantee you playing time. maybe Bishop really wasn't listening to what TS was trying to instill in him at practice. i'm guessing Bishop felt he should have been playing more but really wasn't doing anything about it in practice to change the coaching staff's minds. UC is an anomaly to compare as they have a brand new coach basically starting from scratch so he almost HAS to have frosh contribute because of all the players that left.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:45 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:29 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:55 pm
skyhops wrote:
have you ever considered that it's Bishop who may be a little tone deaf? Steele said you earn your minutes in practice. your scholarship doesn't guarantee you playing time. maybe Bishop really wasn't listening to what TS was trying to instill in him at practice. i'm guessing Bishop felt he should have been playing more but really wasn't doing anything about it in practice to change the coaching staff's minds. UC is an anomaly to compare as they have a brand new coach basically starting from scratch so he almost HAS to have frosh contribute because of all the players that left.
maybe Bishop really wasn't listening to what TS was trying to instill in him at practice
Perhaps,

But Steele frequently harps on X taking too many dumb shots, yet Marshall continues to take multiple dumb shots every game. He's X's best player, so I get that you give him some rope, but not so much that it almost fits around Mman's waist. When Marshall takes multiple bad shots, which happens every game, Steele needs to sit him for 3-4 minutes, to show the team that his words are mandated equally, and not selectively. That's one of the few things I admired about UC's former coach. He was the ultimate grand stander, but I saw him pull Jacob Evans out of a close game against Wich St I believe, b/c shooting multiple quick treys. Earning minutes and respect is a two way street.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:40 pm

Seems to be different rules for different players similar to when I was banned for six months a few years ago for making a valid point I heard from a XU staffer. Oh well.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:55 am

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:40 pm
Seems to be different rules for different players similar to when I was banned for six months a few years ago for making a valid point I heard from a XU staffer. Oh well.
if you don't think that this is exactly the standard on EVERY team, then you've never coached. your better players get more leeway on mistakes, missed/bad shots, turnovers, etc. when you're a freshmen, your "leash" is probably shorter until you start getting comfortable with the system, confident in your game/role, etc, then you start to see your time increased. that's just how it goes.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:42 pm

So we had five recruits this year I believe.
1. Ky Ky was injured and is just rounding into shape now
2. Freemantle is a hit and playing good minutes
3. Miles is redshirting (expected)
4. Ramsey was hurt from day one (knees) and then had a concussion for several games and then the knees again, so he is likely a medical redshirt
5. Bishop played a lot in Spain, but could never hit his shot. Then he supposedly has been dogging it in practice. Who is to say that Steele did not suggest the Portal to him?

Ramsey's redshirt will help him both heal his knees and be more like a half frosh/half Soph next year. I have no inside knowledge on any of these and certainly am not ready to say that Steele cannot develop players. We have four seasoned players and two experienced transfers (Carter and Moore). That is six. Add two frosh who are playing decent minutes gets us to 8. Many coaches have no more than a regular 7-8 player rotation. I would say we are on track for a reasonable rotation. If Bishop had come out playing well AND trying harder we might have a nine player rotation.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:20 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:40 pm
then again it might have been the company you kept at the time.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:38 pm

I decided to forgive you and shadow long ago, it’s the Jesuit Way. AH was my legal council
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:32 am

At the end of the day, as a head coach and staff you have to decide whether to recruit/offer the best possible players, or players who might not be ranked as high, but they fit your system and needs. I think to a certain extent it's a learning process particularly for first time head coaches and you've seen/are seeing it with both Mack and Steele. Miller is an entirely different matter as his recruiting is probably a topic for another forum. HIgher ranked kids as AH points out come in with an expectation they're going to get minutes right away, and i'm not sure they are not correct in assuming it as i doubt coaches do not encourage them to come as a result of need. You bring lessor ranked recruits in they will typically be patient learning the ropes and developing. Guys like TB do not come along every day and X was lucky to get him given he was headed out west. A shooter of that caliber lifts all boats above the tide so to speak. Can make you look a lot better than you may be. I think strategically you have to make that choice which can come at the expense of some early losing seasons while guys develop. This will likely be a very young team next year. It will be interesting to see how may transfers end up here, and what the expectations of the next group will be with the roster makeup. We've seen some defections(Gates comes to mind) where right or wrong roster changes do not encourage their development whether it's right or wrong. It's hard to please everyone, but guys have to get playing time to ever get better. FWIW
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:13 pm

You can’t keep losing four star players. It won’t hurt initially but it will in a year or two when depth is a problem like last year. Their is no reason that there can’t be a few mins for these players and especially KyKy. Q had four TO’s and 1 assist last game, I think he can be replaced for a few mins.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”