Talk XU Men's basketball here...
longliveskip

Dahmir Bishop - transfer portal

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:31 am

Dahmir Bishop has entered the Transfer Portal
bluegrass

Re: Dahmir Bishop - transfer portal

Postby bluegrass » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:37 am

Sad but not surprising. Some of these freshmen think they should be playing right away. Haven't seen much from him that made me think he should play more. Sometimes you have to wait your turn. Odds were one of these freshmen would leave
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:08 am

Kennedy, Hardin, and now Bishop. That is three SG's in three years transferring, which is not a streak you want.
jct1941

Postby jct1941 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:53 am

Well, with Colby, Jones, and Odom coming next year things would not have gotten any better for him. The three players coming next year are all basically guards and there is a log jam at that position. Just like Samari Curtis ( at Nebraska) he played only about seven minutes and decided that he would leave their team. There is only so many minutes to go around and it can be tough for a freshman to break in. It seems that every year the transfers for all teams keeps growing and it does not seem it will ever stop. Go Xavier!
X-Expert

Postby X-Expert » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:02 pm

I was worried about Bishop since day 1 when Schrand started the first two games. Thought that would have been an opportunity to start Bishop. If Schrand was going to be a true player to count on this year, that's one thing but i think he has seen the court one time since the first two games. Not that these games would have necessarily changed anything but Bishop started the year seeing himself behind a former walk-on with KyKy in the wings. Again, Bishop hasn't been great on offense but it takes time. I wish he would have given it more of a chance and i wish he got more playing time. Unfortunately, this team's lack of offense has affected his playing time. Unlike previous years, X would be up so much that you can get players in. While a different position, Sean O'Mara got playing time every year (albeit not much). I watch WV and UC and see their freshman appear to be getting looks. I haven't seen much of Bishop since before the UC game. I'm sure going to his hometown vs Nova and not playing was the last straw-not saying he deserved to play against Nova but probably didn't sit well. This top 20 class primarily is down to two players to contribute this year. i was hoping for a lot from him next year and beyond. He came in as a shooter and scorer (though hasn't showed it yet). Next years recruits have one great shooter and two good players who's biggest weakness is their outside shooting. I hope a Ryan McNeil transfer is available or the shooting issues will continue.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:26 pm

quite obviously I have zero inside scoop on this one, but all the same, you could just feel this one coming. Not one single second in last 3 games of PT. That sounds to me like this kid was too immature to take kindly to a little constructive criticism and stern coaching from our staff. To not even give it a full season. As others pointed out, we do have 3 guard recruits arriving next year, but one is a pure PG, and another more of a 2/3, meaning really only one pure 2G coming and we will be losing Moore for sure and likely Paul. (although maybe not). Meaning Bishop would have had plenty of opp's for decent PT next year. So easy to pout and run. Oh well, on to St. Johns. Thank goodness for kids like Bryce Moore who work their tail off every practice, root hard for their teammates no matter how much they play, and contribute all they have when on the floor..!
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:44 pm

Although my sources said early on that Bishop was somewhat overrated coming in and did not shoot well it is very concerning to me that we can not get more out of our recent scholarship players such as Kennedy, Hardin, James, Bishop, and even Ramsey. I agree 100% with Expert that Schrand should not have been getting time ahead of Bishop. Considering that Steele doesn't have confidence in his freshman I don't think it is realistic to think that we can count on next years freshman to step in right away and contribute. Player development has really suffered the last few years.
Lead Guitar

Postby Lead Guitar » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:49 pm

We have an endless list of players who were not stars or more than 5-10 minute contributors their freshman or even sophomore year. BJ Raymond, Walt McBride, James Farr to name a few. Many of those that did not contribute right away. David West, Stanley Burrell and I believe Tu Holloway and Naji spent a year at a prep school. Xavier for many years has been able to compete with the one and dones by having older players, juniors, seniors, 5Th year players.Although he played freshman year, Macura wasn’t a starter until his junior year (great 6th man sophomore year.)

Bishop had the size to be a terrific SG. Although a bit flat, his outside shot looked like it could come around. His length should have made him a terrific defensive player. He is the kind of kid that would have started in the MAC or MEAC for two years and then transferred to X to become a very solid player, like CJ Anderson, Philmore, or Jamaal Mcclean or the player who transferred in from Monmouth or Manhattan (Taylor?) In 2/3 years we will be hearing about Bishop. An Oak Hill Academy or similar might have been his best option in order to play right away.

Good luck, Dahmir.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:59 pm

jct1941 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:53 am
Well, with Colby, Jones, and Odom coming next year things would not have gotten any better for him. The three players coming next year are all basically guards and there is a log jam at that position. Just like Samari Curtis ( at Nebraska) he played only about seven minutes and decided that he would leave their team. There is only so many minutes to go around and it can be tough for a freshman to break in. It seems that every year the transfers for all teams keeps growing and it does not seem it will ever stop. Go Xavier!
True, and transfers happen everywhere, but it is reaching epidemic levels at X. Steele is great at recruiting. Player development? The jury is still out, but the trend thus far ain't great. Like my mentor says, "I calls them as I sees em."
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:24 pm

skyhops wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:44 pm
Although my sources said early on that Bishop was somewhat overrated coming in and did not shoot well it is very concerning to me that we can not get more out of our recent scholarship players such as Kennedy, Hardin, James, Bishop, and even Ramsey. I agree 100% with Expert that Schrand should not have been getting time ahead of Bishop. Considering that Steele doesn't have confidence in his freshman I don't think it is realistic to think that we can count on next years freshman to step in right away and contribute. Player development has really suffered the last few years.

hard to attribute this to Bishop at all when he never gave the staff a CHANCE TO DEVELOP HIM. some guys take longer or simply aren't willing to put in the work to actually EARN their time. some guys come in having been "the man" the last couple years and just aren't mentally tough enough to adjust to a decreased role. to me, it seems like Bishop fell into that last part. you can't understand why you're not playing more minutes in front of guys like Scruggs and Marshall??? really? c'mon, Bishop. how about simply getting in the gym and working harder? are you in there at 7 am making 200 3's like Freemantle is? haven't read anything about it but i'm guessing if he did, we would know about it. really disappointing as i thought Bishop had the talent/athleticism/etc to be a solid player for us the next 3 years. too bad his impatience and his lack of work ethic (these two are my opinions) led him to this decision, but wish him the best.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”