Dahmir Bishop - transfer portal

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
X-man

Re: Dahmir Bishop - transfer portal

Postby X-man » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:05 am

X-lucidity wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:49 am
AH: "An insider has told me that X would have been in the mix, but his dad Walt knew CM was not going to be the coach. That was early in the 2017-18 season. How could he possibly have known that???? It's one reason it was a historically bad recruiting class."
* We all contribute on this board, for better, or for worse. I seldom have any insight but did happen upon a rumor at the outset of CM's last season here. It was late October, just as season was starting. My daughter played club hoops, and I knew several of the parents of the other kids. One was a high school friend of Chris' who also went to X with him. They bother played college sports at X and hung around and remained in contact over the years. About that time I was at a team event after a game with our kids and we parents were having some drinks. I was speaking with this gentleman as we enjoyed talking about XU. He mentioned then that Chris' very inner circle had it on good faith that he had already communicated to Louisville that he would take their offer at the end of the coming season. I believe I even mentioned this rumor on this board but couched it as a 2nd hand rumor. We all know those can be a dime a dozen. But the entire year it bothered me only because I was well aware that the guy that told me this was a) a legitimate old friend of CM's. & b) Not the type of guy who felt any need to hype stories. He is a good dude that also loves X. As the year played out, I looked at everything, including our evolving weak recruiting results, through that lens. I guess I always wanted to believe that it just couldn't be true.
But I was naive. So to answer your question AH, seems that there was a sub-level of those deep 'in-the-know' that knew......
It seemed pretty clear that the word was out early on Mack. Exhibit 1: we missed on virtually every recruit we went after, something that never happens. Exhibit 2: the team clearly underperformed at the BET and NCAA tournament. I always felt that had Mack not been already "locked up" for the Louisville job, neither would have happened. And for that, I blame both Mack and Louisville. I never blame a coach for moving on, only if they do so in an underhanded way. Both Mack and Matta deserve our unbridled anger for the shitty way they left. Miller, Gillen, and Prosser all left "the right way".
Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament, and almost always makes some noise while there. Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan (ESPN Summer Shootaround, 2012)
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:10 pm

If all this is true, and can be proved by witnesses, then XU should sue Mack.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:13 pm

And Louisville.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:09 pm

Unfortunately, it was all true and missing out on that recruiting class was a big hit. Players like JP and Tre found out mid to late season and you could tell in the teams play. Oh well, good riddance Vanilla Ice. Good insight X-lucidity
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:33 pm

skyhops wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:09 pm
Unfortunately, it was all true and missing out on that recruiting class was a big hit. Players like JP and Tre found out mid to late season and you could tell in the teams play. Oh well, good riddance Vanilla Ice. Good insight X-lucidity
While I am not doubting you, I don't see why the players would play any less than if they had not heard after all they were also looking to their future.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:56 pm

X-man wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:05 am
X-lucidity wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:49 am
AH: "An insider has told me that X would have been in the mix, but his dad Walt knew CM was not going to be the coach. That was early in the 2017-18 season. How could he possibly have known that???? It's one reason it was a historically bad recruiting class."
* We all contribute on this board, for better, or for worse. I seldom have any insight but did happen upon a rumor at the outset of CM's last season here. It was late October, just as season was starting. My daughter played club hoops, and I knew several of the parents of the other kids. One was a high school friend of Chris' who also went to X with him. They bother played college sports at X and hung around and remained in contact over the years. About that time I was at a team event after a game with our kids and we parents were having some drinks. I was speaking with this gentleman as we enjoyed talking about XU. He mentioned then that Chris' very inner circle had it on good faith that he had already communicated to Louisville that he would take their offer at the end of the coming season. I believe I even mentioned this rumor on this board but couched it as a 2nd hand rumor. We all know those can be a dime a dozen. But the entire year it bothered me only because I was well aware that the guy that told me this was a) a legitimate old friend of CM's. & b) Not the type of guy who felt any need to hype stories. He is a good dude that also loves X. As the year played out, I looked at everything, including our evolving weak recruiting results, through that lens. I guess I always wanted to believe that it just couldn't be true.
But I was naive. So to answer your question AH, seems that there was a sub-level of those deep 'in-the-know' that knew......
It seemed pretty clear that the word was out early on Mack. Exhibit 1: we missed on virtually every recruit we went after, something that never happens. Exhibit 2: the team clearly underperformed at the BET and NCAA tournament. I always felt that had Mack not been already "locked up" for the Louisville job, neither would have happened. And for that, I blame both Mack and Louisville. I never blame a coach for moving on, only if they do so in an underhanded way. Both Mack and Matta deserve our unbridled anger for the shitty way they left. Miller, Gillen, and Prosser all left "the right way".
Both Mack and Matta deserve our unbridled anger for the shitty way they left
I am in the minority, but don't blame either for not disclosing to the public that they were leaving, as long as they told the administration. However, not devoting all of your time and resources for the school you're still collecting a paycheck from is a stunning betrayal. Mack showed a tremendous lack of integrity by recruiting for Louisville, while still at X, when they had one of the best rosters in their history.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:14 pm

Amen AH. When the dust settles, it is and has always been a dog eat dog, cutthroat business in the world of college D-1 coaching & recruiting. However, it is a damn shame that, during a season where a non blue-blood like X finally had all the stars align with a clear top six'ish ensemble of talent, we had a head coach whose heart and soul were 90 miles South.... Lovely
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:31 pm

Bishop is transferring to St. Joesph’s in Philly.
#WHYNOTX?
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:48 pm

kyzrex wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:31 pm
Bishop is transferring to St. Joesph’s in Philly.
heard he looked at St Joes and URI. Guess the homesick made St Joes the favorite. I am sure we all wish him well.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”