Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Dahmir Bishop - transfer portal

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:52 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:24 pm
skyhops wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:44 pm
Although my sources said early on that Bishop was somewhat overrated coming in and did not shoot well it is very concerning to me that we can not get more out of our recent scholarship players such as Kennedy, Hardin, James, Bishop, and even Ramsey. I agree 100% with Expert that Schrand should not have been getting time ahead of Bishop. Considering that Steele doesn't have confidence in his freshman I don't think it is realistic to think that we can count on next years freshman to step in right away and contribute. Player development has really suffered the last few years.

hard to attribute this to Bishop at all when he never gave the staff a CHANCE TO DEVELOP HIM. some guys take longer or simply aren't willing to put in the work to actually EARN their time. some guys come in having been "the man" the last couple years and just aren't mentally tough enough to adjust to a decreased role. to me, it seems like Bishop fell into that last part. you can't understand why you're not playing more minutes in front of guys like Scruggs and Marshall??? really? c'mon, Bishop. how about simply getting in the gym and working harder? are you in there at 7 am making 200 3's like Freemantle is? haven't read anything about it but i'm guessing if he did, we would know about it. really disappointing as i thought Bishop had the talent/athleticism/etc to be a solid player for us the next 3 years. too bad his impatience and his lack of work ethic (these two are my opinions) led him to this decision, but wish him the best.
are you in there at 7 am making 200 3's like Freemantle is? haven't read anything about it but i'm guessing if he did, we would know about it.
Great point. Though he was known as a sharp shooter in high school, the 15 or so treys he has taken this year proves he's a poor shooter I guess. Come to think of it, I don't recall Marshall being in the gym that early either, and his sample size validating his twenty something percent shooting percentage is far more credible.

I'm not dismissing your point, but I think your assessment/criticism should apply to all players equally.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:39 pm

It really boggles my mind that Q and Naji have been such terrible three point shooters considering all the basketball they have played in their career especially since they want to play in the NBA.
Thor in 204

Postby Thor in 204 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:26 am

Watching Miles McBride play for West Virginia a few days ago made me wonder if we had tried to recruit him. I was comparing him to Dahmir as I watched. I think he knows how to play, was confident and would have fit in well here.
Good luck to Dahmir at his next school.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:38 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:52 pm
longliveskip wrote:
skyhops wrote:
Although my sources said early on that Bishop was somewhat overrated coming in and did not shoot well it is very concerning to me that we can not get more out of our recent scholarship players such as Kennedy, Hardin, James, Bishop, and even Ramsey. I agree 100% with Expert that Schrand should not have been getting time ahead of Bishop. Considering that Steele doesn't have confidence in his freshman I don't think it is realistic to think that we can count on next years freshman to step in right away and contribute. Player development has really suffered the last few years.

hard to attribute this to Bishop at all when he never gave the staff a CHANCE TO DEVELOP HIM. some guys take longer or simply aren't willing to put in the work to actually EARN their time. some guys come in having been "the man" the last couple years and just aren't mentally tough enough to adjust to a decreased role. to me, it seems like Bishop fell into that last part. you can't understand why you're not playing more minutes in front of guys like Scruggs and Marshall??? really? c'mon, Bishop. how about simply getting in the gym and working harder? are you in there at 7 am making 200 3's like Freemantle is? haven't read anything about it but i'm guessing if he did, we would know about it. really disappointing as i thought Bishop had the talent/athleticism/etc to be a solid player for us the next 3 years. too bad his impatience and his lack of work ethic (these two are my opinions) led him to this decision, but wish him the best.
are you in there at 7 am making 200 3's like Freemantle is? haven't read anything about it but i'm guessing if he did, we would know about it.
Great point. Though he was known as a sharp shooter in high school, the 15 or so treys he has taken this year proves he's a poor shooter I guess. Come to think of it, I don't recall Marshall being in the gym that early either, and his sample size validating his twenty something percent shooting percentage is far more credible.

I'm not dismissing your point, but I think your assessment/criticism should apply to all players equally.
i understand the comparison, but this thread was about Bishop transferring and lack of player development of other guys who have left (Hardin, Kennedy, etc). Just because coach isn't praising Marshall in the media for being in the gym at 7 am doesn't mean he's not. and if you think that Naji has NOT improved (minus his 3 pt shooting) because i believe he has. Q digressed last year but is starting to come back around to form and play better as well. i'm not saying they aren't deserving of criticism at times. they are. we've seen improvement in their games. my point was we haven't even got the chance to see the development of Bishop because he left too early.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:55 am

Why have we lost 3 high rated shooting guards in the last year or so should really be the question. According to Steele Bishop was going to contribute immediately as were the other two to some degree. I didn’t expect much from Bishop but to see him leave mid season is disappointing.
olsingledigit

Postby olsingledigit » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:32 pm

longliveskip wrote:
skyhops wrote:

I had heard before this came up that his PT (or lack thereof) was due to lack of effort.
Dressed to the Nines - Last of the LHS Single Digits - Dedicated to John "The Beer Spiller" McCormick, my son-in-law who passed June, 2016 at age 44. Long time Xavier fanatic and friend of many Lew Hirt Members. RIP Mac Strong! We miss you.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:37 pm

Steele says it was a combination of being homesick and not getting playing time.....

I’ll add that being a freshman that is away from home for the first time is something some kids don’t deal with well. No hard feelings on my part, and I think not on anyone from Xavier. Kids need to do what they think is best for them. Coaches play players based on what is best for the team. I went away to school my freshman year and transferred back home to go to X. In the past, X has had Cincinnati kids transfer in after going away to school for a year or two and nobody thought the worse of them for being transfers. I wish him the best in whatever he chooses to do next.
#WHYNOTX?
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:36 pm

Thor in 204 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:26 am
Watching Miles McBride play for West Virginia a few days ago made me wonder if we had tried to recruit him. I was comparing him to Dahmir as I watched. I think he knows how to play, was confident and would have fit in well here.
Good luck to Dahmir at his next school.
An insider has told me that X would have been in the mix, but his dad Walt knew CM was not going to be the coach. That was early in the 2017-18 season. How could he possibly have known that???? It's one reason it was a historically bad recruiting class.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:33 pm

I am not concerned with the recent transfers. There are many reasons to transfer and it is too early to assume there is an issue with the coaching staff.

As for player development, it is way too early to be concerned about that. Mack was not great at player development. A few players on each team would improve significantly but the bulk of the team played below their talent level most years. There are some issues with the current roster not taking smart shots or taking care of the ball but this was a known issue with these players. It is also hard to hold Steele accountable given that he didn't have a typical recruiting class last year. Fewer players to push the upper classman to make better decisions.

Next year we can begin to assess how well Steele develops players. The year after will give us even better information.

Bishop likely would have been a solid contributor but most likely very replaceable. Good luck to him. The class is still strong with Tandy and Freemantle. Miles is likely going to be great. He pushes into next year's class but he was recruited for the current season. I don't know what to expect from Ramsey but hopefully he becomes a contributor.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:49 am

AH: "An insider has told me that X would have been in the mix, but his dad Walt knew CM was not going to be the coach. That was early in the 2017-18 season. How could he possibly have known that???? It's one reason it was a historically bad recruiting class."
* We all contribute on this board, for better, or for worse. I seldom have any insight but did happen upon a rumor at the outset of CM's last season here. It was late October, just as season was starting. My daughter played club hoops, and I knew several of the parents of the other kids. One was a high school friend of Chris' who also went to X with him. They bother played college sports at X and hung around and remained in contact over the years. About that time I was at a team event after a game with our kids and we parents were having some drinks. I was speaking with this gentleman as we enjoyed talking about XU. He mentioned then that Chris' very inner circle had it on good faith that he had already communicated to Louisville that he would take their offer at the end of the coming season. I believe I even mentioned this rumor on this board but couched it as a 2nd hand rumor. We all know those can be a dime a dozen. But the entire year it bothered me only because I was well aware that the guy that told me this was a) a legitimate old friend of CM's. & b) Not the type of guy who felt any need to hype stories. He is a good dude that also loves X. As the year played out, I looked at everything, including our evolving weak recruiting results, through that lens. I guess I always wanted to believe that it just couldn't be true.
But I was naive. So to answer your question AH, seems that there was a sub-level of those deep 'in-the-know' that knew......

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”