Creighton Game Thread 1-12-19

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
joeabe

Re: Creighton Game Thread 1-12-19

Postby joeabe » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Would welcome a calming force on the court! Conference games typically begin with us going head to head for the first ten minutes, then the opponent turns it up a notch offensively. Then #13 Takes over( Panic) and does some very good things as well as some not so good things. He is giving it his ALL, but its way too much pressure to ask of him. The offensive problem all centers around a confident, crafty point guard which we now do not have...(.I believe we have one coming in the next class.) A fact, Opposing teams find their groove offensively and put on a run and it seems we forget everything about our "game plan" . But, bottom line.....when our guys cannot put the ball into the basket with any consistency its impossible to keep up a positive spirit. Then once our heads drop (understandable) all hell breaks loose...game, set, match!
My concern is what's on the horizon? I have some concern about our second liners soon (next season) to be our first liners. None so far has proven they have the ability at this point to get much playing time. I gotta say I've got some concerns about the future of our program. We are not in the Atlantic 10. This conference is a motheroo!! Razor thin margin for error. Just look at the coaches...Nova, Creighton, Marquette, Seton Hall, Providence, etc...they all are seasoned , experienced and stable which helps recruiting as well as in game decisions. I like our young coach Steele. However, I really believe he inherited a very difficult situation starting with a team that graduated or for other reasons lost almost all of its scoring and absolutely none in the pipeline. The reason at the beginning of this season he tried to stress Defense so much??.....Heck, he knows its his only way out. Second, he is a novice in a very competitive league. All our other head coach replacements at X took the reigns while competing in a secondary conference. Our AD gave this kid Steele a nice break by hiring him, but honestly did not give him much of a chance to succeed. Unless of course he gave him a long leash to turn it? Again, I love our school, coach etc. Just think our AD made a tactical error. I see a 5 year process to rebuild this program. Thought we should have looked at a head coach with head coaching experience. I really feel for this young man. Go X
oldhoopster

Postby oldhoopster » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:27 pm

Agree that we are in a much stronger league now and any coaching changes should find someone with experience. Steele May become a great coach someday but was definitely put in a tough spot. I for one am not down on the frosh. Thing I don’t like is when I see Tandy wide open three straight possessions when X needed points and Scruggs didn’t even look his way. Tandy may not be strong defensively yet but X needs to get him more looks. I don’t know if others have no court vision, are directed to only go to others at crunch time or have no trust in him, but he needs to take 5 or 6 of the threes that Q and Moore are taking Just my opinion
madness31

Postby madness31 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:53 pm

I'm concerned about execution but not yet down on Steele because he basically had no recruits last year and lost all scoring for last season.

This team lacks shooters. The fact they shoot 3s so often is a coaching concern but Creighton also played a defensive strategy to force X to shoot from the outside. I agree with others that Jones is generally not someone you run the offense through. Freemantle is struggling and Carter seems to be on the wing more than down low. Against Creighton, Jones should have been featured more simply because he had an advantage and the team was shooting terrible.

The bigger concern in my opinion, simply because shooting isn't something that is suddenly going to improve, is defensive execution. This team has the length and quickness to defend much better. Most of the first half was ugly for both teams but much of that was just bad shooting rather than great defense. Then once Creighton starting making shots you saw that X had no defensive answer. Rebounding is about hustle and position.

Steele must fix the lack of rebounding and defensive issues. Those are controllable. The offensive strategy can be better, including shot selection but this area is largely an issue with personnel.

We definitely need to see development in the freshmen next year. That class needs to have a player or 2 that is ready to contribute at a high level. I'll start to form an opinion on Steele next season but he really needs at least another year after that to make any real judgement. One reason the Cleveland Browns have been bad for so long is they don't give coaches and GMs time to build the program. Steele inherited a rebuild, he needs time.
xavier71

Postby xavier71 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:06 pm

I'd like to comment on 2 topics, coach and zone. When X was searching for a coach to replace CM, I sent a post saying that I thought the next man up philosophy might not be the way to go. My reasoning was that in the past it was a MCC or A-10 job and you could get away with on the job training, but not in the Big East. I said there would be lots of successful young head coaches who would apply. Within about 5 minutes a post came in saying how wrong I was and how could I question a philosophy that's worked so well. I might have pointed out that the best coach we have ever had was not next man up, but the head coach at Butler, but I didn't.
X should absolutely be playing at least a little zone at different times. Mack did it with the 1-3-1. I also don't think good teams will play a zone against X. People seem to think that if a team can't shoot, play a zone. This, in MY OPINION, is wrong. Teams play zone for 3 reasons,A) limit penetration, B) keep the ball from entering the low post, C) they suck at man to man. Good teams will play a sagging man to man, helping on all drives, doubling down low like Creighton did to Marshall, and have 5 guys in good rebounding position. If the ball gets kicked to an open shooter they don't care because odds are the poor shooting team is only going to make 2 or 3 out of 10 and they can live with that. Case in point, both Kevin W and Greg McD knew coming in to their game that X was a bad shooting team, yet neither played a minute of zone. The only way to beat this defense is to make shots. If you do, then they will come out and guard you. Again, just my opinion.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:17 pm

Xavier 71, great post!!! I do not want nor will I knock coach steele. I just believe he is in a most difficult position for a novice head coach. I hope our financial supporters give him time to right the ship. Our conference is only getting better over time.
Question: How does Gonzaga continue to recruit NBA types? They are in a very suspect conference. Don''t believe Spokane or Washington is a basketball mecca? Yet they are as hot as it get's for college hoops!! Why them and not us?? We had it going but I believe we lost our mojo!
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Gonzaga gets to choose from the best international players, which is a big help. I have been patient with Steele, but that is wearing thin and it is time to get this guys prepared. Maybe we can start to meow after three straight bad offensive possessions.
finalfourorbust

Postby finalfourorbust » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:47 am

joeabe wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:17 pm
Xavier 71, great post!!! I do not want nor will I knock coach steele. I just believe he is in a most difficult position for a novice head coach. I hope our financial supporters give him time to right the ship. Our conference is only getting better over time.
Question: How does Gonzaga continue to recruit NBA types? They are in a very suspect conference. Don''t believe Spokane or Washington is a basketball mecca? Yet they are as hot as it get's for college hoops!! Why them and not us?? We had it going but I believe we lost our mojo!
Gonzaga has coaching stability with one of the best coaches in the country. We have had several coaches that we thought would stay and they didn't. Eventually you are going to miss on one and hopefully this is not it.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:55 pm

Sooooo,

X is struggling mightily on the offensive end, and Steele keeps their most consistent offensive threat, Scruggs on the bench, for 15 minutes. I don't care if he had three fouls, much less two. They can't stop any decent offensive team if they could play 7 players, so they need to be able to score points. Then, with 36 seconds to go, He doesn't bring their greatest three point threat off the bench, instead leaving Q and Moore in for the last possession.

I expect the halftime talk to be focused on how Marquette's bench cheers relative to ours.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:02 pm

And have fun and win the next war
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:16 pm

Thank God for the under 16 timeout, or X would have gone down by 20. However, the Steele family will have two free Skyline meals this weekend. I pray that no recruit's parents or coaches heard Bardo state how much importance Steele puts on cheering during games. You can't make this stuff up. Now I can relate to the suffering my Cat's buddies felt across town with the 12 years of cringe worthy comments Cronin made.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”