Devastating injury.
thecoach

Re: Coach Steele

Postby thecoach » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:52 pm

Sounds like a lawsuit.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:55 pm

Steele has some work to do. He doesn't have great pieces this year to be dominant but he has pieces capable of competing. The lack of shooting is not ideal and the lack of a go to scorer isn't either. There are still plenty of offensive sets that can be utilized to get slashers into the lane and pulling up for short shots. The team could certainly look for more opportunities to run.

The comment about the lack of offense leading to lack of defensive energy and rebounding is spot on. I love the defensive focus idea but Steele has to get an offensive game plan that works for the team he has. Without it, the frustration sets in and losses pile up. One of the great X teams suffered a similar fait in the elite 8 against UCLA. Some believed the size and talent was too much for X but if you watch that game, you will see X was struggling shooting the ball. They drove the lane, contact but no call. On the defensive side X was defending shots well but when UCLA created contact, the officials gave them calls. As UCLA continued getting the benefit of the doubt on contact and Xavier enduring similar contact with no whistles, the intensity left and UCLA pulled away for an easy win.

It is very common for people to let adversity impact their intensity and effort. At first it might cause a person to apply more effort but continued exposure quickly moves in the opposite direction. Steele needs to go to the bench quickly in this next game if the intensity isn't there. He needs to call a TO quickly to stop runs and have a game plan to generate offense and get stops. If any starter has packed it in, he needs replaced by anyone still putting in effort and ideally by someone that will be around next year.
bluegrass

Postby bluegrass » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:24 pm

XavierBob wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:52 pm
Man, I really liked the Steele hire but I knew there was going to come a day when the administration would make a mistake, it was bound to happen. I’m wondering if this is it. This certainly isn’t Xavier basketball. I know we’d lose a good recruiting class but Christopher has some tough decisions to make. I know people will say a longer sample is needed but this certainly isn’t the program I’m used to seeing.
I think he'll get 4 years but i do worry at some point we will have a miss on the coaching carousel. I'd make the case that Skip was our "worst" coach since Tay Baker but even he was pretty successful. If we miss the NCAA this year,next year will be make or break for Steele. If Naji and Paul return,we should be competitive. If one or both leave,it could be rough going

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”