X-lucidity

Re: Coach Steele

Postby X-lucidity » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:04 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pRfNMAgxYs

Any questions.....? I have none. All were answered tonight
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:09 pm

I suspect they'll hit a better spell shooting the ball for a couple weeks as they did last year and win some games, but this team from my vision is worse than last year. Hankins/Welage much better players than Carter/Bryce particularly offensively. I've said this for years, but i really think they need to abandon the transfer deal and load up with young guys. It may take them a couple years to get over some inexperience bumps, but they need some good old shooters who'll put in 4 years and bring some scoring off the bench and hopefully full time later in their careers. Hard to see Marshall coming back, Scruggs is hard to call. Should be room. What say ye?

Fwiw, i still can't believe how bad they are rebounding the ball. That really makes me wonder about the coaching more than the offensive struggles.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:16 pm

FickforX wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:02 pm
Back to being a mediocre mid major. Thanks Judas Mack
Mack deserves blame for checking out a year early when he cheated on X with prospective recruits. However, Steele owns taking the wheel of the bus with three or four top 100 hundred players, a transfer who was a candidate for Conference Player of the Year in the Mac, and a top 10 recruiting class, and driving it into the ditch in unprecedented fashion. Nice guy, and he may turn out to good, but the things he says, and his in-game management leaves a lot to be desired.....and deeply concerned about. His saving grace at this point is his father in law, and recruits he's bringing in. Thank God the ink on the L.O.I.s is dry.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:18 pm

thecoach wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:09 pm
I suspect they'll hit a better spell shooting the ball for a couple weeks as they did last year and win some games, but this team from my vision is worse than last year. Hankins/Welage much better players than Carter/Bryce particularly offensively. I've said this for years, but i really think they need to abandon the transfer deal and load up with young guys. It may take them a couple years to get over some inexperience bumps, but they need some good old shooters who'll put in 4 years and bring some scoring off the bench and hopefully full time later in their careers. Hard to see Marshall coming back, Scruggs is hard to call. Should be room. What say ye?

Fwiw, i still can't believe how bad they are rebounding the ball. That really makes me wonder about the coaching more than the offensive struggles.
Even worse,

It makes you wonder if they've quit on the coach. The optics of the last two games looks very bad.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:23 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:18 pm
thecoach wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:09 pm

Even worse,

It makes you wonder if they've quit on the coach. The optics of the last two games looks very bad.
It's a valid point, but they almost look more confused than uninspired. They just don't have a player who regularly can stop a run, and the depth is just to young or honestly in the case of Carter and Moore maybe just not good enough night in and night out. Marshall is that guy sometimes, particularly at home, but not consistent or wise enough to carry a team.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:40 pm

According to sources Q has developed a bad attitude and has lost all confidence and you can tell. Jones is beginning to show signs of the same, which hopefully they can get it together. Steele sounds like a 8th grade coach when he continues to say we just need to play harder. If this group can't play hard or effort on the boards then this season is lost.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:44 pm

skyhops wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:40 pm
According to sources Q has developed a bad attitude and has lost all confidence and you can tell. Jones is beginning to show signs of the same, which hopefully they can get it together. Steele sounds like a 8th grade coach when he continues to say we just need to play harder. If this group can't play hard or effort on the boards then this season is lost.
Though unrelated,

Ramsey has been harder to spot than Bigfoot. This is about the 5th game in a row now where Steele said he might get some minutes. I'm for player development now. And coach's for that matter! I'm scouting 7th grade CYO coaches this weekend, and will deliver a stack of resumes to Fr. Graham for a bench coach who can make in-game adjustments. Alas, my commitments with the Cheese Club makes me ineligible.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:49 pm

Why not give Ramsey some minutes, so he won't have to learn on the fly next year. Maybe he can come in for Jones and maybe hit a shot from more than 6'.
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:50 pm

The thing that is confusing about Ramsey if i read Steele's comment correctly is he isn't a redshirt candidate. It's just hard to understand that with about a month and a half left in the season and starting 1/4 in the conference. Maybe he won't qualify for some reason, but he'd have to have an awful big impact to use a year of eligibility for me to burn it at this point

Goodin 0 for his last 20 from 3.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:07 pm

A school with X's reputation should NOT be hiring assistant coaches for Head Coach. X should be hiring Head coaches with a winning reputation. Xavier appears content with re building and not becoming a major powerhouse. X cannot continue to rebuild every 4 to 7 years. Basketball players come for the/a Coach first and then the school reputation second. Xavier is now 1-4 and only ahead of DePaul who has zero wins. Xavier before before losing to Marquette was listed among the First Four out of the NCAA Dance Bracket....next they will not even be mentioned period!!!!! This program today is not rebuilding ...it is in official decline....through the last 2 years only.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”