Coach Steele

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Coach Steele

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:39 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:07 pm
A school with X's reputation should NOT be hiring assistant coaches for Head Coach. X should be hiring Head coaches with a winning reputation. Xavier appears content with re building and not becoming a major powerhouse. X cannot continue to rebuild every 4 to 7 years. Basketball players come for the/a Coach first and then the school reputation second. Xavier is now 1-4 and only ahead of DePaul who has zero wins. Xavier before before losing to Marquette was listed among the First Four out of the NCAA Dance Bracket....next they will not even be mentioned period!!!!! This program today is not rebuilding ...it is in official decline....through the last 2 years only.
X hasn't been in a rebuilding mode in the last 15 years. They've been one of the most successful cbb programs over that period. However, we are in the eye of a rebuilding storm now, unless the freshmen from this year's and next year's class makes a major impact, along with a stud grad transfer or two. This season is virtually lost, but still has a pulse.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:34 am

Just watched his post game presser...Wow!! I feel for him. He looks like he's lost! It's a tough position for a young coach. He is obviously loosing this team. They mailed it in tonight...NO confidence.....Don't do much of anything well...defense, offense, 3 point shots, foul shots, rebounding....There does not appear to be any floor leadership either. So where do you start? He has not convinced this team about how sincere he is about playing defense. Its not glamourous like offense. It just seems all cannot get it together at the same time....we always seem to break down somewhere during the game and seldom regain our composure. Perhaps all will learn through adversity??
WestCoastMuskie

Postby WestCoastMuskie » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:44 pm

I haven't posted in a long time, but last night bought me back. I thought Steele was a good hire, and last year's team made such good progress. Still possible with this team, but it appears this team has quit on him. And if that happens, you can really only do one thing to solve the problem.

Since moving west, I've become a huge GS Warriors fan, and have watched more NBA the last several years. Not fair to compare X to the best offensive basketball team in history (GSW 2017-19, not this year), but there are a few instructive things. 1) Constant off ball motion 2)Pin-downs 3) Pushing the tempo in transition Not everything would be possible for X to emulate, but what I see in X this year is a team whose offense is so bad its seeping into their defensive effort. When you can't score it is demoralizing. Yes, effort should be a constant, but they are human.

Our problems are not defensive. I've never gotten down on an X coach before, but I do think Steele is lost on this team. We've have no offense, and no plan on offense. Tyrique is too small to constantly dump the ball down to. Move him to the 4, start Freemantle. Bring Carter off the bench, start Tandy and Scruggs.

And BTW, Steph Curry has 40-foot range. Markus Howard is a great college player and might be a good pro, but comparing him the greatest shooter the game has ever seen is a little overblown.
DannyV76

Postby DannyV76 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:42 pm

joeabe wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:34 am
Just watched his post game presser...Wow!! I feel for him. He looks like he's lost! It's a tough position for a young coach. He is obviously loosing this team. They mailed it in tonight...NO confidence.....Don't do much of anything well...defense, offense, 3 point shots, foul shots, rebounding....There does not appear to be any floor leadership either. So where do you start? He has not convinced this team about how sincere he is about playing defense. Its not glamourous like offense. It just seems all cannot get it together at the same time....we always seem to break down somewhere during the game and seldom regain our composure. Perhaps all will learn through adversity??
Not to pile on here but what is really concerning to me is the last two games we're losing the 50/50 balls and have gotten our butts kicked on the boards by two teams significantly smaller than us ( 16 differential last night). It's one thing that the team just can't shoot but the others are all about effort and desire. No news flash here, but this team does suffer from a collective a low basketball IQ. I'm really happy there is a week between games, hoping the guys can get something figured out now while there is still time to salvage the season.
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:19 pm

I hope the players are getting their college degrees and will be able to use them , because none of them(well maybe 1) will ever play NBA ball.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:01 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:19 pm
I hope the players are getting their college degrees and will be able to use them , because none of them(well maybe 1) will ever play NBA ball.
I think Marshall, and possibly Scruggs, will get a shot at the NBA. The others can do well playing overseas.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:06 pm

I still like the Steele hire. Again, he is waaaaay too hyperbolic, but I like his recruiting ability and intensity. One and a half years ain't enough time. He needs at least three. A serious conversation about mandating an addition to the staff should be considered if the current level of play continues, and/or they miss the only tourney that matters again this year.
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:11 pm

Watching Gtown take it to Howard( guy is amazing) but probably lose by a point or two. Not only are we going to miss the Dance but we will break our streak of longest in the nation of not having a losing season in conference.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:08 pm

Shannon just tweeted this about Steele's message to the players re: tomorrow's game: "Play Free, Have Fun, Compete." I have to assume he also said something about not hogging the orange slices at halftime, and don't push in line for the after game treats.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:14 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:08 pm
Shannon just tweeted this about Steele's message to the players re: tomorrow's game: "Play Free, Have Fun, Compete." I have to assume he also said something about not hogging the orange slices at halftime, and don't push in line for the after game treats.
One other gem: Positive thoughts, lead to positive results. That's great, because I didn't understand why it hurt like hell when I stepped on hot coals. Now I know why. I'm going to start thinking positive results now, and tell my friend Mike Scott the same thing, as he suffered third degree burns stepping on his George Foreman Grill.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”