Hire James Posey

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

Re: Hire James Posey

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:47 pm

lovedschmidt wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:33 pm
As an assistant that is a good idea. You can tell the current staff brings nothing to the table in game. Dante Jackson had a basketball IQ close to zero when he was a player, the rest of the guys just sit there all game long. And as of yet, can't really grade there recruiting skills. Steele is on an island in game, get him some help.
Ouch! Harsh. First of all, I liked DJ, and thought he had a pretty high bball IQ, contrary to your and Sky's opinion. Secondly, how do you know the current staff brings nothing to the table? At the very least, they have done an exceptional job of recruiting. I do agree Steele could use an wily X-Os guy on the bench, and have opined this since last year. I think his adjustments or lack thereof leaves a lot to be desired, but he is still learning.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:57 pm

edgecliff hall wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:56 pm
What about that older experienced coach? Does he help any?
Matthew Graves was brought in to help with X's & O's, based on his own words in an interview given when he joined the staff this summer. At that time, he said: "“It is a primary basketball focus," said Graves. "Not only on strategy – the X's and O's – but the entire program and how we can get better. That's my primary focus. I'm not having to split my time up in a ton of different areas. I can really dive in and get as detailed as possible in helping this program.”

His resume includes a short stint I believe at S Alabama, and as an assistant at Butler. With all due respect, Tony Yates has a better resume, and I wouldn't let him anywhere near my players with a clipboard.
Pierre Dracot

Postby Pierre Dracot » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:44 am

olsingledigit wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:31 pm
Growe I think.
John Groce? He's Steele's half-brother.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:38 pm

For those who know...… Explain the Sedler Family Head Coach.... Does this mean the seat is endowed? If so , for how much? I ask for this reason/ Schools all around the country and in the BE are paying unbelievable salaries and bonus's to HC's to get the best to maintain their bb programs.
Are we paying competing salaries for assistants? We are in a league requiring top notch hc's and staff's to compete.
Maybe we have the right guy in Steele and just need to give him time? He inherited a most difficult situation.... All of our shooting expertise left with JP and Trevon. We were fortunate to snag Hankins last year to shoot and rebound close to the rim as well as stand back a few feet and score. Basketball Jones is an animal but one dimensional on offense. Our guards are totally MIA. It doesn't look like Ky KY at this point is ready for prime time yet?

I believe we need to give Steele his space and pray he will figure out his roll and connect with our team...
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:41 pm

We do have a former player and winner Dante Jackson as an assistant, so why would we need another? Dante wasn't the most cerebral player, so he probably fits in well with this team.
JTG

Postby JTG » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:01 pm

This team needs shooters, period. If X had 1 or 2 competent 3 point shooters, the lanes to drive to the basket would open up, and we would be gangbusters. We have nothing but scorers who go to the basket. With no shooters, teams just clog the middle on us and we're helpless. For the rest of this year, I would go 9 deep and press and trap to generate offense from defense. With no shooters I think that's our only option. And for God's sake, take a break from recruiting athletes and find some guys who can drain 3's.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:51 am

lovedschmidt wrote:
As an assistant that is a good idea. You can tell the current staff brings nothing to the table in game. Dante Jackson had a basketball IQ close to zero when he was a player, the rest of the guys just sit there all game long. And as of yet, can't really grade there recruiting skills. Steele is on an island in game, get him some help.
this is the kind of stuff that i just loooooove to read on this board. with all due respect, and it's not just you who spews this nonsense at times, but how in the world could anyone on this board have ANY CLUE as to the validity of this??? how? by watching from your couch??? that's your analysis??? that the other coaches don't bring anything to the table?

complete and utter lunacy and part of the reason i take a break from this board at times, especially at times when the team is struggling.

good gracious.

there is not ONE PERSON on this board who could possibly have any insight into this at all. none of us sit on the bench. none of us go to practice. none of us sit in their offices and see what kind of scouting report they're putting together on the opponent.

c'mon, guys. give it a rest on stuff like this.
kyzrex

Postby kyzrex » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:14 am

longliveskip wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:51 am
lovedschmidt wrote:
this is the kind of stuff that i just loooooove to read on this board. with all due respect, and it's not just you who spews this nonsense at times, but how in the world could anyone on this board have ANY CLUE as to the validity of this??? how? by watching from your couch??? that's your analysis??? that the other coaches don't bring anything to the table?

complete and utter lunacy and part of the reason i take a break from this board at times, especially at times when the team is struggling.

good gracious.

there is not ONE PERSON on this board who could possibly have any insight into this at all. none of us sit on the bench. none of us go to practice. none of us sit in their offices and see what kind of scouting report they're putting together on the opponent.

c'mon, guys. give it a rest on stuff like this.
TOTALLY AGREE!
#WHYNOTX?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:22 am

I don't necessarily agree with lovedschmidt, but obviously something has not been working over the last year and a half. We are predicted to now win 17 games, so it is understandable why on this message board folks are concerned. I know for a fact that Steele is ready for a few players to graduated, so he can begin with some of "his players".
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:02 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:22 am
I don't necessarily agree with lovedschmidt, but obviously something has not been working over the last year and a half. We are predicted to now win 17 games, so it is understandable why on this message board folks are concerned. I know for a fact that Steele is ready for a few players to graduated, so he can begin with some of "his players".
that's the other part of this that really doesn't make sense at times, either. that whole "his players" mantra. i'm guessing Steele had a pretty big hand in recruiting the likes of Jones, Naji, Scruggs, and Q. when you're the top asst, you're one of those guys that goes out on the road, finds guys and says "hey, Chris, you gotta see this kid", etc., so Steele doesn't really get the excuse of "wait until he gets his players". maybe he and Chris disagreed on some guys. maybe he and Chris wanted different players that decided to go somewhere else so they got these guys instead. i don't know. i'm sure Mack had final say on who they should offer. but i'm guessing that Steele wasn't in the room, in regards to our core 4, saying "we shouldn't offer any of these guys."

just my thoughts on that.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”