Creighton Game thread 1/26/2020

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 22988
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Creighton Game thread 1/26/2020

Postby muskieman » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:55 pm

what can you say when the big three of Naji, Jones, and Scruggs have 14 of the 15 turnovers.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
ChitownSteve
Posts: 1873
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:45 am
Contact:

Re: Creighton Game thread 1/26/2020

Postby ChitownSteve » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:34 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:55 pm
what can you say when the big three of Naji, Jones, and Scruggs have 14 of the 15 turnovers.
Frankly, I am very concerned with Tyrique Jones. His points per personal possession, when he is open, or has a clear advantage against his defender or on putbacks, Is underwhelming. His inability to consistently score when plays are designed for him, or the flow gets him the ball, is detrimental. How many bunnies and short shots can one center miss?

Early today, he was perfectly set up on at least 3 occasions and netted 1 point. Therefore, X was down 7-1 because because of his failures around the rim. If it was one game, it happens and no reason to bring up. However, we all know today was not aberrational.

The team is offensively challenged, this is yet another contributing reason.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5473
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Creighton Game thread 1/26/2020

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:00 pm

ChitownSteve wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:34 pm
muskieman wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:55 pm
what can you say when the big three of Naji, Jones, and Scruggs have 14 of the 15 turnovers.
Frankly, I am very concerned with Tyrique Jones. His points per personal possession, when he is open, or has a clear advantage against his defender or on putbacks, Is underwhelming. His inability to consistently score when plays are designed for him, or the flow gets him the ball, is detrimental. How many bunnies and short shots can one center miss?

Early today, he was perfectly set up on at least 3 occasions and netted 1 point. Therefore, X was down 7-1 because because of his failures around the rim. If it was one game, it happens and no reason to bring up. However, we all know today was not aberrational.

The team is offensively challenged, this is yet another contributing reason.
Agree 100%. For a guy who shots 90% of his shots within 5 feet, his percentage is alarmingly low at 52% (3% higher than Scruggs). Part of the reason is because he misses about 10% of his dunks, because he tries to make every one a highlight take. He misses so many And One opportunities because of the latter. He also has to wait three seconds whenever he catches the ball, so the other team has a chance to double team him. His low IQ play unfortunately is the norm for players and coaches alike. It would be different if he passed it well out of the post, but he doesn't. He is also one of the most turnover prone post players I've ever seen. For a team who was largely a consensus preseason top 25 pick this year, they've under performed and regressed for several reasons. Primarily, it's one part the core 5, and one part coaching. More to come later.
thecoach
Posts: 1361
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:52 am
Contact:

Re: Creighton Game thread 1/26/2020

Postby thecoach » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:35 pm

I didn't get to see the entire game due to some other commitments, but one thing that might have given Jones some issues is going with the two big guys at once. Carter tends to play away from the bucket a lot, and it gives Jones more room to work. It's a subtle change, but it was a bit of a change up. That said, the dunking comment i tend to agree. I thought he was lucky on the road to not get a T on that last dunk as he kind of chinned the rim which i've seen called quite often. It's a disappointment as i thought if they could get back to where they controlled the rebounding numbers it would put them squarely in road games. Not so much today. The other thing is X pitched a pretty nice offensive game save for the turnovers. However, the ft attempts kind of shadow the lack of aggressiveness on offense. I'd stick with the bigger lineup another game or two and see if the defense gets better. Clearly, Creighton is not a good club to match up with that as they have a lot of kids who are good play makers. Just to many two's traded for three's on the other end. Hard to see beating Marquette/Howard with this offense. However, everyone can have an off night on the road.
longliveskip
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Creighton Game thread 1/26/2020

Postby longliveskip » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:47 am

muskieman wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:55 pm
what can you say when the big three of Naji, Jones, and Scruggs have 14 of the 15 turnovers.
i concur. i thought, up until about 5 minutes left, that it was Naji's worst game of his Xavier career. everything seemed forced. nothing was just in the flow of the game. Scruggs just seemed very lacks with the ball at times. Jones, if he'd just made some of his point blank shots early on, maybe the game has a different feel to it. but even so, we can't trade 2's for 3's vs Creighton and that's basically what it came down to. the possession that solidified it for me was when Ryq had the def rebound stripped from him and they kicked it out to Ballard who took a 30 ft 3 with 8 seconds on the shot clock and made it. BAM. game was over right then. no matter how close we cut it, even getting it to 6 late in the game, we just don't have the scorers that Creighton does. it's that simple. they're better than us. that's it.
longliveskip
Posts: 1116
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Creighton Game thread 1/26/2020

Postby longliveskip » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:53 am

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:47 am
muskieman wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:55 pm
what can you say when the big three of Naji, Jones, and Scruggs have 14 of the 15 turnovers.
i concur. i thought, up until about 5 minutes left, that it was Naji's worst game of his Xavier career. everything seemed forced. nothing was just in the flow of the game. Scruggs just seemed very lacks with the ball at times. Jones, if he'd just made some of his point blank shots early on, maybe the game has a different feel to it. but even so, we can't trade 2's for 3's vs Creighton and that's basically what it came down to. the possession that solidified it for me was when Ryq had the def rebound stripped from him and they kicked it out to Ballard who took a 30 ft 3 with 8 seconds on the shot clock and made it. BAM. game was over right then. no matter how close we cut it, even getting it to 6 late in the game, we just don't have the scorers that Creighton does. it's that simple. they're better than us. that's it.
and just to add another comment: McDermott is the biggest whiner in the league. the all access game gave us an up close and personal look at him during the game. he talks to the officials THE ENTIRE GAME. it's ridiculous. i thought Steele was tame compared to him. also liked Steele in the huddle after he argued with the refs about a foul and then told his guys "hey, i saw the replays. they were fouls." McDermott is arguing EVERY CALL, EVERY POSSESSION, EVERY LITTLE THING. can't stand him now.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 22988
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Creighton Game thread 1/26/2020

Postby muskieman » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:47 am

longliveskip wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:53 am
longliveskip wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:47 am
muskieman wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:55 pm
what can you say when the big three of Naji, Jones, and Scruggs have 14 of the 15 turnovers.
i concur. i thought, up until about 5 minutes left, that it was Naji's worst game of his Xavier career. everything seemed forced. nothing was just in the flow of the game. Scruggs just seemed very lacks with the ball at times. Jones, if he'd just made some of his point blank shots early on, maybe the game has a different feel to it. but even so, we can't trade 2's for 3's vs Creighton and that's basically what it came down to. the possession that solidified it for me was when Ryq had the def rebound stripped from him and they kicked it out to Ballard who took a 30 ft 3 with 8 seconds on the shot clock and made it. BAM. game was over right then. no matter how close we cut it, even getting it to 6 late in the game, we just don't have the scorers that Creighton does. it's that simple. they're better than us. that's it.
and just to add another comment: McDermott is the biggest whiner in the league. the all access game gave us an up close and personal look at him during the game. he talks to the officials THE ENTIRE GAME. it's ridiculous. i thought Steele was tame compared to him. also liked Steele in the huddle after he argued with the refs about a foul and then told his guys "hey, i saw the replays. they were fouls." McDermott is arguing EVERY CALL, EVERY POSSESSION, EVERY LITTLE THING. can't stand him now.
The refs could have least called the goaltending after reviewing the play. Shows the arrogance of refs these days. Of course, the game was not lost because of the refs, it was lost before the first media time out when Jones missed all those inside shots and only made one of his free throws. I am sure when you feed the post so many times with nothing to show for it and not even a pass back out it inhibits future throws, not that it is the right thinking. Just like it is frustrating when Paul was losing the ball or getting tied up when he wanders into the lane without a plan and a weak handle on the ball. Everyone has a stake in this loss and everyone was not perfect. X took 14 more shots than CU and made 3 more shots than CU made and still lost by 11 because of the threes and Foul shots. Travis said that they fought to the end but he said we can not use that as an excuse and things have to change. I think it is time for the Seniors to look into their hearts and take ownership of this team. Every player has been on winning teams and knows what it takes now they have to do it for each other.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
X-lucidity
Posts: 955
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Creighton Game thread 1/26/2020

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:22 am

Fortunately for me, as it turns out, I had a busy afternoon yesterday. Missed the first 6 minutes of the game and then had to miss the entire 2nd half due to a tourney game for our little 8th grade girls' team. So I was spared that same old narrative of X falling behind early, chasing hard to climb that daunting hill the rest of the way, only to tease fans with mini runs that never quite do the trick. So I will read, absorb, and appreciate the rest of your takes and comments on this rascal. That said, one amazing disturbing facet I did see on the few minutes I was able to watch, was on two possessions of defense, in a span of 2 minutes, T-Jones exhibited poor close out technique and was burned for 1st an easy basket, then an easy basket, foul, and one, for 5 quick points. Bam. At a time that X was actually scoring and could have been cutting into the Bluejay lead if only we had a chance at keeping them from putting the ball through the nets. Admittedly this was a small sample size and maybe Tyrique played balls out D before and after that stint, but goodness. On both plays, he was near the lane properly playing help D. Then a swing perimeter pass found its way to his assignment out near the 3pt line. On both occasions, he sprinted out forgetting the technique I am 100% certain his 5th grade coach drilled into him. That being, a close out drill. The last few steps are to be short, choppy and balance, so that the offensive player cannot make a pump-fake twitch and blow by you. Not last evening though, T-Jone's strides were long like a cheetah, god love him, he was gonna get out there! Both time the dude twitched and blew right past for a layup then a layup/foul. You can't make this crap up. Do we even review the basics or do the coaches just assume that at this stage they are second nature. Clearly they are not 2nd nature. Again, that is just my reaction to the few minutes of ball I was able to view yesterday. Somewhat encouraged to see we did well rebounding and had quite a few more shot attempts. The team gives effort. Maybe the coaching staff needs to spend a decent % of practice rolling out & instilling some back to basics bootcamp mentality. Often, it's the little things, the unsung aspects of this beautiful game, that make all the difference in the world in a tight game. Thank you all for allowing me this cathartic moment....
X-lucidity
Posts: 955
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Creighton Game thread 1/26/2020

Postby X-lucidity » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:24 am

ooops, duplicate, trying to remove.
Last edited by X-lucidity on Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
joeabe
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:27 am
Contact:

Re: Creighton Game thread 1/26/2020

Postby joeabe » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:59 am

My feeling, we are who we are!! This season is what it is.....We may win a couple at home and possibly one or two on the road?? However, teams want to take it to us for all the past success we've enjoyed at their peril. Everybody wants a piece of us!!
I really think (if he feels safe with his job) TS should play the younger guys many more minutes looking ahead to future seasons. If the young guys do produce results , great, if not you know exactly what you need to recruit. Some way we need to add some scorers to this crew (obvious). I have a feeling some of this has to do with confidence. There is no captain of this ship (point guard) , we for some reason miss FT's, miss dunks, throw the ball around aimlessly, drive into a crowded lane and throw up a prayer or have it stripped for a fast break. We is who we is!! I totally feel for the players they look like lost sheep out there. Is it me or has #4,3,1 and 13 regressed over the years? In the past they were augmented with a big man to bail out our offensive flaws....Ain't there no more!!!
I think Mack saw the handwriting on the wall and bailed!!

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests