Creighton Game thread 1/26/2020

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xavier2005

Re: Creighton Game thread 1/26/2020

Postby Xavier2005 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:03 pm

Mack and the other coaches that left Xavier left for two things....1.huge salary and bonuses, which Xavier will NEVER be able to pay any coach and 2. Bigger, more major name basketball programs that pay better ,but also can get and recruit the 5 star and 4 star best to better players...which X cannot get. Players come for the coach first and the school name ....a far second.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:56 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:03 pm
Mack and the other coaches that left Xavier left for two things....1.huge salary and bonuses, which Xavier will NEVER be able to pay any coach and 2. Bigger, more major name basketball programs that pay better ,but also can get and recruit the 5 star and 4 star best to better players...which X cannot get. Players come for the coach first and the school name ....a far second.
Is this supposed to be a revelation? However, the name of the school also makes a big difference. Mac and Miller left for two top ten programs. Money was certainly a bigfactor, but I doubt either would have left for Okl State, who can also pay big bucks.
Last edited by Anti-Homer on Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:17 pm

My point about Mack leaving was the talent drain ...JP and Blouette etc. He rode these guys up and saw a great opportunity to move on to Louisville with all the benefits you spoke of in your remarks.
God bless TS......he's got his plow in some hard ground!!! Can he do it, I think so!! But, we must give him sufficient time and ultimate support. For that reason I am no longer going to be critical. Go X!! Did you see and hear on TV the stress and the amount of energy it takes coaching when you lack talent. The other goofball looked like he was coaching only the ref's....cuz his guys can fill it up
xavier71

Postby xavier71 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:43 pm

It's no secret, I was against the hiring of TS. I thought they should get a young successful HEAD coach similar to what Rutgers did. When Mack left the program was at an all time high, Big East champs and a no.1 seed. We probably could have had any coach from the A-10, Missouri Valley, Mac, Horizon, etc. But then TS came in with this so-called tremendous recruiting class and I kind of jumped on the bandwagon. But after watching yesterdays game, I've come to the conclusion he is lost during the game. At every timeout he took the clipboard and drew up a play. At times it looked like it was something they had never practiced. Good coaches run a continuity offense. It can be motion, flex, shuffle cut, or whatever, but it is continuous. McDermott during timeouts was explaining what X was doing and how to stop them. On offense he talked about better pin downs or movement but he was never drawing up plays. His offense is continuous. Bob Knight ran one offense, motion, his entire career. At one point Creighton got 3 consecutive offensive rebounds, the last one ripped out of Jones' hands. After the made 3 Steele called timeout. Instead of getting on the team or Jones in particular, he spent the entire timeout drawing up a play. When you have a continuous offense you can still have plays, but the plays should have names and they should have been run hundreds of times at practice. I would love to be able to say at a later date that I was wrong and if that's the case, I will. But what I see now is an inexperienced coach who looks like he's in way over his head.
madness31

Postby madness31 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:44 pm

Interesting take on the clipboard. I generally agree other than at times with minimal time on the shot clock or game clock. The overall offensive flow is bad. The question is whether it is a bad offensive set, bad set for the players on hand or if the players simply make any offensive set bad.

The team needs to find ways to get reasonable looks inside. Scruggs, Marshall and Goodin are all quality guys taking the ball to the rim. Decision making needs to improve as shots are forced too frequently when kicking it out or dumping it off are better options. Plays that find them cutting to the rim without the ball may help avoid collapsing defenses.

Posting Carter up might be a better decision than Jones in most cases, especially with the 3 big line-up. Carter likely ends up with the smallest defender and he has more moves than the other 2.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:59 am

Gentlemen:

Let’s deal in facts. Here are your upperclassman:

- Naji cannot dribble and turns the ball over at an alarming rate. His 2019-20 team commitment is very questionable.
- Goodin cannot shoot, and jacks up 3’s which have no prayer of going in. His regression is stunning and maybe injury affected.
- Tyrique cannot shoot a lick and and makes Jamel McLean look like a marksman.

Each of the above exhibit a poor grasp of basketball situations. Plus, Carter is regretfully overmatched in the Big East.

Paul Scruggs tries to make up for the fellows above, to his own detriment.

Maybe Coach Steele was left with a bad hand. I suspect he’ll be doubling down on recruiting guys like Zach Freemantle. Pleased to see KyKy Tandy and Bryce Moore get significant court time on Sunday.

Yesterday’s “All Access” was insightful. As my son, a ‘12 Grad of X, and a much more astute basketball observer than me noted, “Creighton’s player leadership in the huddle is far superior to X’s”.

A team recruited with athleticism, without basketball moxie. They failed to learn and a mistake X Coaches should never duplicate.

Feel free to disagree or correct.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:41 am

Fantastic post!! I watched the replay of the Creighton game yesterday and noticed the very same thing in the huddle. Supposedly we have an excellent point guard coming next year!!
XavierBob

Postby XavierBob » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:25 pm

Call me crazy, many people have, but after the all access I feel better about Travis then I did going it. It was clear to me that he understands that he has a low basketball IQ group. He has to micro manage to get what little success this offense has. If X was free flowing I’d hate to see what kind of decisions would be made. This team seems to need constant direction.
A caller on the show last night brought the same idea— too much information, I was surprised when Steele replied that things like that are tracked and X was top 20 in the nation in effectiveness coming out of a time out.
Is there room for improvement from all , certainty, but I think Travis is trying to give our guys necessary information to give the the best chance to win games.
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:54 pm

I had no idea what he was talking about. But he seemed to know what he was talking about. Did they get what he was talking about? I have no way of knowing. He talked they were quiet.
lovedschmidt

Postby lovedschmidt » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:52 pm

Looking forward to when we are free of all Things Chris Mack. The lack of IQ on his recruits is stunning. Good riddance.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”