Xavier might beat Seton Hall??? the stats say so

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
edgecliff hall

Re: Xavier might beat Seton Hall??? the stats say so

Postby edgecliff hall » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:21 pm

KYKY makes 'em PayPay sez da Fox Guy! Hot Zigity Digity Dog!
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:26 pm

The stats before the game said X could win if if they played smart. Well they played smart for 30 out of 40 minutes and won....I said X might beat SH and they did.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:17 pm

we all know that Xavier basketball is a roller coaster ride and just as fans start to wane coach plays the, "us against the world" mantra and they pull out a big win. Now if they can take out DePaul and Providence the picture starts to look Rosey again. Two local boys showed the locals they can play ball. The new big three Jones, Marshall, and Tandy. I hope they can add someone else 51-22 on the glass. I LIKE
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
XU85

Postby XU85 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:31 pm

The Tandy man can, the Tandy man can!
'cause he mixes it with love and makes the whole world taste good!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:34 pm

For once I have no complaints, had to DVR the game. Nice to see us bully an opponent again. Powell looked like he got a hold of some of AH’s latin lettuce before the game.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:59 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:34 pm
For once I have no complaints, had to DVR the game. Nice to see us bully an opponent again. Powell looked like he got a hold of some of AH’s latin lettuce before the game.
I agree but I heard Powell and AH had a late-night rendezvous and Ah caught a beer virus which he passed to Powell. I will not say how he passed it but way to take one for the team AH.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:04 pm

just as fans start to wane coach plays the, "us against the world" mantra and they pull out a big win.

Was that the magic elixir? If only he used it for the Wake, Nova, Creighton (2x), and Marquette (2x) games. They’ve underachieved to this point, but great first step in this year’s reclamation project. They beat the best team in the league at their place. The talent is, and has always been there. However, strategy and execution hasn’t. Some of it Steele has control of, some not. Soundness in both should be the mantra going forward.
Powell looked like he got a hold of some of AH’s latin lettuce before the game

Marshall completely shut Powell down. Powell is an expert at drawing fouls on threes, and tried to bait Marshall several times, but he didn’t bite. He took 3 very bad forced treys (nice to be able to say that about an opponent for a change). He also played great help D. Ty also had the best game of his career, and that was in the top three for Marshall, despite not having gaudy numbers. And BTW, that latin lettuce you speak of was given to me by Mman. It’s medicinal, as he got it from his faith healer for the bunion on his foot.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:09 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:04 pm
just as fans start to wane coach plays the, "us against the world" mantra and they pull out a big win.

Was that the magic elixir? If only he used it for the Wake, Nova, Creighton (2x), and Marquette (2x) games. They’ve underachieved to this point, but great first step in this year’s reclamation project. They beat the best team in the league at their place. The talent is, and has always been there. However, strategy and execution hasn’t. Some of it Steele has control of, some not. Soundness in both should be the mantra going forward.

Marshall completely shut Powell down. Powell is an expert at drawing fouls on threes, and tried to bait Marshall several times, but he didn’t bite. He took 3 very bad forced treys (nice to be able to say that about an opponent for a change). He also played great help D. Ty also had the best game of his career, and that was in the top three for Marshall, despite not having gaudy numbers. And BTW, that latin lettuce you speak of was given to me by Mman. It’s medicinal, as he got it from his faith healer for the bunion on his foot.
and yet many including you have knocked Naji defending the best player. Against CU had the ref called the leg kick out that got Naji a foul on a three-point shot that game might have ended up on the W side. Naji needs to have help but he is the best defender because of his length on some of these best players. I wish More would be the shutdown player like everyone thought he would be.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:20 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:09 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:

and yet many including you have knocked Naji defending the best player. Against CU had the ref called the leg kick out that got Naji a foul on a three-point shot that game might have ended up on the W side. Naji needs to have help but he is the best defender because of his length on some of these best players. I wish More would be the shutdown player like everyone thought he would be.
and yet many including you have knocked Naji defending the best player.
Faithfully submitted by AH on 1-11 at 8:19 pm, on the SH Game Thread, in response to a post by Coach:

" agree with you that Cumberland isn't the same challenge as Powell this year, but Steele has always put Marshall on whom he considers the best, or key offensive player since taking over last year. I don't understand the logic of only doing it in games you feel we have lesser chance of winning. That's like saying when we had Bluiett, he should have shot less against teams we have a greater chance of beating, and more in tougher matchups. No adjustment was ever made. He was always the focal point of the offense, whether X played Tenn State or Nova. Similarly, Marshall is charged with defending the focal point of the other team's best-key player, regardless of opponent or venue, as it should be, IMO.

Incidentally, X didn't lose because Marshall guarded Powell. He needed 21 shots to score 24 points. X's porous defense against the other guards, partly attributed to selling out on Powell with double teams when they didn't need to was the reason. Getting out-rebounded by 10 ,subpar pg play, and limited contributions from the bench didn't help either.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:36 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:20 pm
muskieman wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:09 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:

and yet many including you have knocked Naji defending the best player.
Faithfully submitted by AH on 1-11 at 8:19 pm, on the SH Game Thread, in response to a post by Coach:

" agree with you that Cumberland isn't the same challenge as Powell this year, but Steele has always put Marshall on whom he considers the best, or key offensive player since taking over last year. I don't understand the logic of only doing it in games you feel we have lesser chance of winning. That's like saying when we had Bluiett, he should have shot less against teams we have a greater chance of beating, and more in tougher matchups. No adjustment was ever made. He was always the focal point of the offense, whether X played Tenn State or Nova. Similarly, Marshall is charged with defending the focal point of the other team's best-key player, regardless of opponent or venue, as it should be, IMO.

Incidentally, X didn't lose because Marshall guarded Powell. He needed 21 shots to score 24 points. X's porous defense against the other guards, partly attributed to selling out on Powell with double teams when they didn't need to was the reason. Getting out-rebounded by 10 ,subpar pg play, and limited contributions from the bench didn't help either.

You are right X won because Naji guarded Powell and X shot 54% and outrebounded SH 51 to 22 with 14 O rebounds.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”