X - Depaul Thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer

X - Depaul Thread

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:50 pm

Chitown, need your analysis. I haven't seen a full game of Depaul, but have seen parts of half a dozen games. That and their record (3 strong Quad one wins) says this will be a very good game. They have a pro in Paul Reed. They don't shoot well from 3, and have a v. good pg, who has offensive deficiencies, despite being the leading scorer. They do have a lot of length, but am not sure how skilled the 5-8 players are. Again, this comes from someone who admittedly is not very familiar with them. Despite that, I think the three keys are:

1. Marshall, or Carter, or both vs Reed. Reed is very skilled, and does most of his damage 17 feet and in. He is also a tremendous rebounder (2nd best in the league, and top 5 offensive rebounder as well), and vg free throw shooter. Marshall-Carter have to stay out of foul trouble, and keep him off of the glass. He gets 3 OF boards a game. There will be trouble if Marshall gets into foul trouble. I suspect Depaul will put Reed on Carter to keep him out of foul trouble. Chitown, your thoughts?

2. Charlie Moore is definitely a good pg and distributor, but is not an good shooter, especially from distance. He is an excellent free throw shooter, and scores 25% of his points at the charity stripe. X has to keep him from getting into the lane, and make him earn his shots (can't foul him). Offensively, he is a lot like Q, but he draws more fouls and hits his f.t. He is also 5'11", so all the guards should be able to post him up. With their big lineup, he will have to mark Scruggs, and if so, X should runs plays to post up Scruggs early and often.

3.. X should have the advantage in the post again against Butz, who is a decent player, but not strong enough to mark Jones. He is also offensively challenged. I think X has a decided advantage there. Depaul's depth in the post is also limited.

Both teams obviously need the W, and Depaul comes off of a very competitive game against Marquette. I think Scruggs and Jones are the difference in this game offensively, and Marshall defensively. X will hit a higher percentage from the line than normal, and squeak out a 68-65 win.
ChitownSteve

Re: X - Depaul Thread

Postby ChitownSteve » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:45 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:50 pm
Chitown, need your analysis. I haven't seen a full game of Depaul, but have seen parts of half a dozen games. That and their record (3 strong Quad one wins) says this will be a very good game. They have a pro in Paul Reed. They don't shoot well from 3, and have a v. good pg, who has offensive deficiencies, despite being the leading scorer. They do have a lot of length, but am not sure how skilled the 5-8 players are. Again, this comes from someone who admittedly is not very familiar with them. Despite that, I think the three keys are:

1. Marshall, or Carter, or both vs Reed. Reed is very skilled, and does most of his damage 17 feet and in. He is also a tremendous rebounder (2nd best in the league, and top 5 offensive rebounder as well), and vg free throw shooter. Marshall-Carter have to stay out of foul trouble, and keep him off of the glass. He gets 3 OF boards a game. There will be trouble if Marshall gets into foul trouble. I suspect Depaul will put Reed on Carter to keep him out of foul trouble. Chitown, your thoughts?

2. Charlie Moore is definitely a good pg and distributor, but is not an good shooter, especially from distance. He is an excellent free throw shooter, and scores 25% of his points at the charity stripe. X has to keep him from getting into the lane, and make him earn his shots (can't foul him). Offensively, he is a lot like Q, but he draws more fouls and hits his f.t. He is also 5'11", so all the guards should be able to post him up. With their big lineup, he will have to mark Scruggs, and if so, X should runs plays to post up Scruggs early and often.

3.. X should have the advantage in the post again against Butz, who is a decent player, but not strong enough to mark Jones. He is also offensively challenged. I think X has a decided advantage there. Depaul's depth in the post is also limited.

Both teams obviously need the W, and Depaul comes off of a very competitive game against Marquette. I think Scruggs and Jones are the difference in this game offensively, and Marshall defensively. X will hit a higher percentage from the line than normal, and squeak out a 68-65 win.
AH:

Oh boy, much pressure, and I am not a quarter the analyst you and many others are on this Board. Well, I’ll toss out some thoughts, with that caveat.

#1 - You are spot on with Paul Reed. He is an outstanding player, yet also prone to foul trouble. Hence, need to goad him into a couple of cheap fouls early. Yes, if I were Coach Leitao, Reed would guard Carter, freeing him to cheat back on defense and grab Boards. Reed is also dangerous between the arc and FT line and will take that jumper with good success. Whoever is guarding Reed needs to put a body on Reed as soon as the ball is in the air. Reed is tremendous at crashing the Boards from the free throw line in and jamming it home or tipping the ball in. Keep him out and away and frustrate him early. He thrives on early put-backs.

#2 - You have Moore’s offense pretty well analyzed. Moore was making his 3’s early in the Season and has a better outside shot than Quentin. If Moore sees an opening off a fast break he is explosive and will turn on the turbos at half court and drive to the hoop. That’s how he gets all those FT’s you reference.

Hmm, wondering if Moore will guard Goodin/KyKy Tandy? Will Jalen Coleman-Lands be assigned to Paul Scruggs? Coleman-Lands is 6’4 and is in his 2nd Season at DePaul, after 2 years at Illinois. Coleman-Lands is the 3rd leading scorer for the Blue Demons with 11.8 PPG. He is the wild card in this game and a streaky shooter who is not afraid to launch the ball. DePaul often rises and falls with Coleman-Lands’ performance.

#3 - Don’t underestimate Butz’s strength. He bangs with the best of them. The key will be who picks up their 2nd Foul earlier, and 4th Foul late, Tyrique or Butz. Butz can also drop in the 10’ baseline jumper. If I were DePaul, I’d draw Tyrique out by having Butz toss up a few of those with Reed crashing the Boards. Agreed, X has better depth, with Zach Freemantle better than anyone (e.g. Nick Ongenda, 6’11 and 209 lbs.) off the Blue Demon bench.

X needs to be careful after snaring defensive Boards. Both Moore and Reed have quick hands and are very good at pilfering the ball from rebounders. Making steals is a key element of DePaul’s Defense (turning it into an Offensive weapon).

Romeo Weems is 6’7”, Mr.Basketball in Michigan and a Freshman, who will probably guard Naji. Weems is a very good defender. If Naji uses his experience and doesn’t force anything early, he should get his points off defensive lapses when the Blue Demons break down and they often do.

Ongenda, Darious Hall (Soph), Markese Jacobs (Fresh) and D.J. Williams, 6’2” G (Transfer Sr. Illinois/ Geo. Washington) come off the Bench. Williams has the potential to make the most impact. He has just joined the team (Winter Quarter) and I sense this will be the game he will see his most court time. Devin Gage, the starting PG before Moore joined the team this year, and effective off the bench, is now out for the Season. Overall, DePaul’s bench has yet to fully support the Starters without Gage. Watch to see if Williams changes that against X.

Agreed Scruggs and Jones the O keys, and Marshall on D. Goodin and Carter need to hold their own, so that Tandy and Fremantle then provide the difference. Bryce Moore could find a niche in this contest. Your score of 69-66 sounds great and our entire family would walk out of the Wintrust Arena with a smile.

Well, on Wednesday morning hope these thoughts hold true. If not, I’ll dutifully accept the criticism.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:59 am

Chitown,

Great analysis, and thanks for the correction. You deflated my hopes re: the advantage in the post, but I imagine if someone watched Scruggs in the six substandard games he has played, he could get the wrong impression as well. I didn't know Reed had a deep jumper (and not just a mid-range), so Marshall/Carter will have their hands full. Despite what many say, I still think Goodin can contribute positive minutes, and credit Steele for having the courage and solid decision making to limit/increase his minutes based on how well he plays. To his credit, Goodin is adapting to his new role well. When engaged, he can be a defensive hawk, so X will need him to help contain Moore.

Hopefully, Kyky continues to provide another 3D threat, because it sure opens things up for everyone. I trust you'll be putting your DePaul gear aside tonight in favor of Xavier wear.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:53 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:59 am
Chitown,

Great analysis, and thanks for the correction. You deflated my hopes re: the advantage in the post, but I imagine if someone watched Scruggs in the six substandard games he has played, he could get the wrong impression as well. I didn't know Reed had a deep jumper (and not just a mid-range), so Marshall/Carter will have their hands full. Despite what many say, I still think Goodin can contribute positive minutes, and credit Steele for having the courage and solid decision making to limit/increase his minutes based on how well he plays. To his credit, Goodin is adapting to his new role well. When engaged, he can be a defensive hawk, so X will need him to help contain Moore.

Hopefully, Kyky continues to provide another 3D threat, because it sure opens things up for everyone. I trust you'll be putting your DePaul gear aside tonight in favor of Xavier wear.
Butz has had some injuries and illness this year, which affected his play. When healthy, he has been a solid contributor.

The X gear already out so that no time is wasted when I arrive home to change, prior to heading to Kroll’s South Loop for the Musketeer pre-game. Then, on to the Wintrust Arena. Go Muskies!
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:36 pm

Good ball movement to start the game and hot from the 3s has opened up the game 7/11 so far 29-12
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:04 pm

Glad DePaul went ice cold because our offensive decision making was dreadful. Jones is a beast.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:08 pm

2nd best of the half of the year. They are putting on a defensive clinic. Tyrique with 9 or 10 boards already. Marshall had a God awful half, and Carter having his usual offensive yips, but X is still rolling. Scruggs stepping up, and Goodin continuing to play better and better. Me wants more Goodin, and less Carter.

Goodin's best play wasn't one of his improbable treys, but it was drawing Reed's third. X could be up by 22, as Steele drew up a great play to end the half, but instead of dishing to Kyky, who was wide open in the corner, Marshall had to go 3 on 1. Oh well, I'll take a 19 point lead.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:16 pm

Marshall has had Tandy open a few times and elected to take a bad shot
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:25 pm

NEED GOODIN TO RUN POINT!
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:54 pm

Jones blows another dunk showboating. Should be an And One.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”