X - Depaul Thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
muskieman

Re: X - Depaul Thread

Postby muskieman » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:02 pm

Isn't it great when all you have to complain about is nitpicking? If X comes out every game like the last few games it will be a nice time for X fans. They dug the hole and now they need to fill it and then some.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:06 pm

Marshall's very low IQ and selfish play with 2:57 has made this a game once again.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:13 pm

Marshall is giving DePaul a chance to erase a 15 point deficit under 5 minutes. He needs to see Mr. Pine for the remainder of the game.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:19 pm

Mman,

Can we use our petty cash fund to pay Gene Wilder to put Justin Cage's brain into Naji?
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:40 pm

I’ll donate a few bucks. MM, please let Steele know that you are not supposed to pass it in the corner and wait for a double team and you are allowed to call timeout.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:45 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:40 pm
I’ll donate a few bucks. MM, please let Steele know that you are not supposed to pass it in the corner and wait for a double team and you are allowed to call timeout.
He runs some really good half court sets, but I think an 8th grade CYO team would get about 5 steals off that press breaker. X ran no picks. I love Scruggs, but he and Marshall are not good dribblers unless they have plenty of space. They are turnover machines. Depaul scored a third of their baskets in the last 5 minutes. I think it's time to call Odom up from the minor leagues.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:00 am

Now AH is going to toss and turn all night, because I'm still worked up over Marshall, Marshall, Marshall. Reminds me of my years as an adolescent tossing and turning due to carnal thoughts of Marsha, Marsha, Marsha. Mman had the same problem, but his distraction was that sassy housekeeper Alice.

I'm comforted to know that X is definitely on the right side of the bubble at this point in time. Giving up those late points hurt, because offensive and defensive efficiency are also metrics used to calculate the NET. Until the last five minutes, they would probably be in top 15-20 territory (K-Pom defensive efficiency). I predict a NET of 41 before Saturday's game.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:27 am

Have a need to pile on, because it is absolutely necessary. Under no circumstances should Naji be dribbling the ball in the backcourt in last 3 minutes of a game when the opposition is pressing. Nor, should he be entrusted to kill time dribbling around in the front court. Did the official box score show him with only 2 turnovers? Were our eyes watching a different turnover machine than the official scorers?

For all his flaws, the ball should have been in Goodin’s hands, with Tandy’s assistance. They are called guards, and trained as guards, for a reason. Also, any word on whether Naji was 100%? Appeared he sat for a long stretch in the earlier portion of the 2nd Half. Wondering if he was feeling well?

Ok, on to a positive for the Coaching Staff and Naji. Was quite surprised he covered Charlie Moore early in the game. While aided by poor DePaul shooting, Naji did his defensive job well to enable X to jump out to the big lead. Naji’s commitment to defense is notable.

All said, a win, albeit ugly basketball by both teams. The crowd was slim, smallest of any of the X-DePaul match-ups we have attended. A Tuesday evening game, with a late time slot, contributed to that. On the positive, the pre-game X gathering at Kroll’s South Loop was very nice. Props to those responsible for hosting.

We’ll take it, a “W”. Move on and learn from the mistakes and build off the accomplishments.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:44 am

I agree with everything in the above post. My son pointed out that Naji only had 2 turnovers and I thought he was kidding. Tandy and Q need to have the ball in their hands since Tandy will be the man next year. Like SH this win belongs to Tyrique.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:29 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:45 pm
skyhops wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:40 pm
He runs some really good half court sets, but I think an 8th grade CYO team would get about 5 steals off that press breaker. X ran no picks. I love Scruggs, but he and Marshall are not good dribblers unless they have plenty of space. They are turnover machines. Depaul scored a third of their baskets in the last 5 minutes. I think it's time to call Odom up from the minor leagues.
You said X was up 15 with 5 to go and the press was killing X. I agree with the problem with the press but I have seen DePaul throw on that press on at end of games before down by similar or bigger numbers and come back to almost win. Their length gives them an advantage and, as one announcer said, the refs were not looking to find fouls. Every time Paul got the ball he stopped and waited for the pressure to come to him, in fact so did others. I have said on other threads that one of the deficiencies is ball handling by most of the players.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”