Providence Game Thread

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5572
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Providence Game Thread

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:16 pm

The cliché of Every game in the league is a war is only true in the BE, and tonight is another example. Providence has had a Jekyll and Hyde OOC season, and a very good conference season to date, as they're 3rd in the league, with wins at Butler, Marquette, & DePaul. They also should have won at Creighton, but blew a two possession lead in the last minute. They could vie to win any of the non power conferences except for the WCC, WAC, and A-10. Like DePaul, I've seen parts of about six of their games, so my knowledge of them is limited.

They go 9 deep, and usually play a 3 guard lineup with an undersized 4, as X did with Marshall for much of the season last year. They have depth at every position. They shoot the three and free throws at a little better clip than X, but X shoots better from two. They rebound about the same rate as X does. One guy in their starting lineup shoots the three consistently (Duke, 6''5" guard - 40%), and they also have a 5'11" pg who is a horrendous shooter overall (31% from 3 and 2), and has a below avg 1.4 assist/t.o. ratio. I would really love to see X go back to the regular lineup, with Goodin instead of Free or Carter. He should be able to bully Pipkins driving into the lane, and he and Scruggs can post him up all day. Goodin has been playing much better the last three games as well, including defensively.

I also want Carter to start. Free is better offensively, but defends poorly. This is not the lineup for three bigs. Carter is a much better defender than given credit for, and though he has been abysmal offensively, he doesn't take many shots, and with everyone including Goodin upgrading their games offensively, they can afford for him to get only 6 points a game, as long as he defends, takes care of the ball, and rebounds.

I also think Carter should be able to post whomever they put on him, unless/until they go with a traditional four. He has had the yips offensively, so a couple of deep post opportunities can get his confidence going, assuming he converts.

Steele has really done a good job with his rotations and his substitutions recently. I assume he has addressed the press offense, because they were exposed again with pressure against Providence (with a great assist from Marshall), and will most assuredly see pressure again. I expect to see a much more aggressive Carter, and see him being a difference maker this game. Marshall will also play much better, b/c frankly, he can't play any worse than his game against DePaul. AH is 3-1 ats with X, and despite threats from the Vegas sportsbooks of me divulging my prediction, my allegiance to the board as a moderator supersedes threats from Vegas mobsters. X wins: 68-64.'
skyhops
Posts: 2629
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Providence Game Thread

Postby skyhops » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:53 pm

Let’s hope Jason plays more like Vince Carter and less like Aaron Carter as he has lately.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 23080
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Providence Game Thread

Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:18 pm

Lookalike teams start with playing D and both not great scoring from the three, but both like inside play. Need to dominate rebounds and protect the ball ut then that goes for every team
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops
Posts: 2629
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Providence Game Thread

Postby skyhops » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:45 pm

Once again we decide to take bad threes and abandon the inside. When was the last time Sruggs and Naji played well in the same game?
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 23080
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Providence Game Thread

Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:05 pm

Are we playing NBA rules where Watson draws foul and then lays it in. Nice three for KyKy
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
User avatar
muskieman
Posts: 23080
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Providence Game Thread

Postby muskieman » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:06 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:18 pm
Lookalike teams start with playing D and both not great scoring from the three, but both like inside play. Need to dominate rebounds and protect the ball but then that goes for every team
Out rebounded Providence by 1, 42.1% to 43.6% from the field (as close as Iowa caucus), but X only turned it over 8 times while PU 13 and X got to the line and both team % from the line was poor. T Jones was a beast with 18 rebounds and both teams sucked from the three-point line. Carter disappointed Sky from the field as did Naji.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5572
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Providence Game Thread

Postby Anti-Homer » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:45 pm

muskieman wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:06 pm
muskieman wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:18 pm
Lookalike teams start with playing D and both not great scoring from the three, but both like inside play. Need to dominate rebounds and protect the ball but then that goes for every team
Out rebounded Providence by 1, 42.1% to 43.6% from the field (as close as Iowa caucus), but X only turned it over 8 times while PU 13 and X got to the line and both team % from the line was poor. T Jones was a beast with 18 rebounds and both teams sucked from the three-point line. Carter disappointed Sky from the field as did Naji.

The two stats which jump out were X having only 8 turnovers, and holding Providence to 17% from the three point line. The whole team played great D, but as usual, despite a poor offensive game, Naji made up for it and then some with stellar defense. Duke hit two long range threes early on, and Naji shut him down after. Duke only had 8 shots all game, and needed a screen to escape Marshall. This is the same guy who shoots 46% from three point land, and scored 36 against Creighton.

Carter was bad offensively, but his defense was really good. He is a lot better defender than he gets credit for. Just copy/paste the same thing about Jones from the previous two games, because he had his usual 18 rebounds against the biggest, most physical team in the BE. That was a very well played game by both teams, and Steele deserves a lot of credit for preparing them to break the press much better, and understanding that as good as Free was offensively, he was getting abused on the boards and defensively, which made him a net negative. They were also very prepared to attack the zone, which they did well. Big game on Tuesday, as X continues to build their tournament resume.

2nd biggest crowd of the year as well.
longliveskip
Posts: 1139
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Providence Game Thread

Postby longliveskip » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:13 pm

wondering if anyone caught Steele's reaction on the sideline after Naji got called for that over the back foul early in the game. He went OFF on two assistants who tried to calm him down. man he was fired up. just an observation is all.

hate the fact that Butler got their a$$e$ handed to them today because that means Wednesday will be that much harder.

just win, baby.

Tyrique is a beast.

let's GOOOOOOOO!
Anti-Homer
Posts: 5572
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Providence Game Thread

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:49 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:13 pm
wondering if anyone caught Steele's reaction on the sideline after Naji got called for that over the back foul early in the game. He went OFF on two assistants who tried to calm him down. man he was fired up. just an observation is all.

hate the fact that Butler got their a$$e$ handed to them today because that means Wednesday will be that much harder.

just win, baby.

Tyrique is a beast.

let's GOOOOOOOO!
LLS,

I used to feel this way, but that's the same feeling I had about Nova on Sat. Coming off the heels of a two game losing streak, I thought they'd be laser focused and ready to play against the Hall. Also, coming off a four game losing streak in competitive games against some of the BE's best teams, i thought DePaul would be also be ready to go when X came to town. Both basically trailed from the tip off to the finish. It's all about match ups, strategy, and execution. I think X matches up very well against Butler. Yet another team who lacks a post player who can man up against Jones. I do think they have one of the top three players in the league in Baldwin. Marshall will have his hands full.
longliveskip
Posts: 1139
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:13 pm
Contact:

Re: Providence Game Thread

Postby longliveskip » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:46 am

Anti-Homer wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:49 pm
longliveskip wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:13 pm
wondering if anyone caught Steele's reaction on the sideline after Naji got called for that over the back foul early in the game. He went OFF on two assistants who tried to calm him down. man he was fired up. just an observation is all.

hate the fact that Butler got their a$$e$ handed to them today because that means Wednesday will be that much harder.

just win, baby.

Tyrique is a beast.

let's GOOOOOOOO!
LLS,

I used to feel this way, but that's the same feeling I had about Nova on Sat. Coming off the heels of a two game losing streak, I thought they'd be laser focused and ready to play against the Hall. Also, coming off a four game losing streak in competitive games against some of the BE's best teams, i thought DePaul would be also be ready to go when X came to town. Both basically trailed from the tip off to the finish. It's all about match ups, strategy, and execution. I think X matches up very well against Butler. Yet another team who lacks a post player who can man up against Jones. I do think they have one of the top three players in the league in Baldwin. Marshall will have his hands full.
Nova was actually up 4 at half and they had to go TO Seton Hall. the DePaul analogy a little different just because it's DePaul and they have been in a tailspin they can't get out of, for some reason. If Nova was at home, I could see that. that's why this is slightly different. Butler back at home after an a$$ kicking. their crowd will be into it. they will be hungry. not saying Nova wasn't but SHU was at home and that helps a ton. if we play like we have the last 3 games, we will be in a winnable game when that under 4 minute timeout hits in the 2nd half, and in our league, that's all i ask for - just be in a winnable game at the end and see who can make plays to win. although that scares me somewhat with a team that has Baldwin because we simply don't have someone that can do what he does - meaning, just go get a bucket when your team needs one.

we shall see. i'm hoping for a comfortable 8-10 point lead at that last timeout and then stave off their run at the end. :D


let's go.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests