Butler Preview

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
ChitownSteve

Re: Butler Preview

Postby ChitownSteve » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 pm

Tyrique is telling teammates to think. Thankfully, someone on the floor is beginning to show leadership.
XU2011

Postby XU2011 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:10 pm

3rd and 4th year guys make as many or more mistakes as the freshman
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:12 pm

Why Q over Moore? He's a detriment on both sides of the ball. And now Free coming in, as they need to to speed up the game with defense to create offense. Don't know what to say, but Coach is overwhelmed tonight.
XU2011

Postby XU2011 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:37 pm

...too many empty possessions...don’t make and give up too many 3s...same story going on for 4 yrs...we’ll beat them at home though
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:40 pm

Down 7 with 59 seconds, and X let Butler run the clock down 30 seconds. Let that sink in. Game over. That being said, great comeback from X, and superb performance by Marshall and Jones. There's no shame losing by 5 at Butler, but I respectfully wish there was a veteran coach with WINNINGexperience on the bench. I really admire Steele's commitment, work ethic, and intensity, but feel he could really use some help.

Nice showing by the X-men overall.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:01 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:40 pm
Down 7 with 59 seconds, and X let Butler run the clock down 30 seconds. Let that sink in. Game over. That being said, great comeback from X, and superb performance by Marshall and Jones. There's no shame losing by 5 at Butler, but I respectfully wish there was a veteran coach with WINNINGexperience on the bench. I really admire Steele's commitment, work ethic, and intensity, but feel he could really use some help.

AH:

Have to disagree on Marshall. He was nothing but a stat stuffer tonight as X chased a double digit deficit. In part, the Musketeers fell way behind because Naji was a missing man in the 1st a half. With 10:58 in the game, X was down by 8 and Naji comes out of the TV TO and clanks 2 FT’s. At 10:20 X was then down 11.

Marshall scored 14 of his 20 in the last 5:39. All of which started when X trailed 57-43. Cannot take the first 34 minutes of a game off. Marshall did.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:10 pm

ChitownSteve wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:01 pm
Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:40 pm

AH:

Have to disagree on Marshall. He was nothing but a stat stuffer tonight as X chased a double digit deficit. In part, the Musketeers fell way behind because Naji was a missing man in the 1st a half. With 10:58 in the game, X was down by 8 and Naji comes out of the TV TO and clanks 2 FT’s. At 10:20 X was then down 11.

Marshall scored 14 of his 20 in the last 5:39. All of which started when X trailed 57-43. Cannot take the first 34 minutes of a game off. Marshall did.
Very good point. My bar for offensive prowess is obviously very low tonight.
ChitownSteve

Postby ChitownSteve » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:34 pm

Anti-Homer wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:10 pm

Very good point. My bar for offensive prowess is obviously very low tonight.
Easy to have happen when the PG’s slow-walk the ball up the court and allowed Butler to set up in their preferred defensive schemes. Thought tonight’s Gatorade and Water jugs were filled with Sleepytime Tea.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:10 pm

this game came down to a couple things - 9 turnovers in the first half and missing too many point blank layups/shots.

when you have to play the 2nd half almost perfectly to come back from being down 11, then 17 at one point, it's hard. Butler is too good to let that slip away, and quite simply, Baldwin is just better than anybody on X's team, and when they needed a bucket, he got it for them. add in their role players playing better/making shots more than our role players and that leads to a 6 pt loss.

the turning point in the 2nd half was this:

out of the timeout, down 8, and Naji misses BOTH ft's.
they come down, get fouled, make the first, miss the 2nd and get rebound because Naji ran to the rim instead of pinching down/boxing out his man, and they score on that possession. back to an 11 point lead. that was the game right there. that sequence, in a nutshell.

it had ZERO to do with Travis being outcoached or needing more help on the bench, etc. he put his guys in spots where they got GREAT looks and missed. his defensive scheme held Butler to 66 which should be enough to beat them. when you're getting point blank looks then you're running stuff that's working. players gotta make those shots. they didn't. and Butler role players hit HUGE shots at times. ours didn't.

that's what it came down to.

on to St. Johns, who just beat Providence without one of their best players. won't be easy.
SC in DC

Postby SC in DC » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:40 pm

It didn't help when Q fouled on a DEEP 3 pt shot with 3.5 seconds to go in the half, or that Scruggs was trying too hard to impress his 40 fans at the game in his home town. (Hard to fault him for that tho!) But I think it definitely affected his game.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”