Butler Preview

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
skyhops

Re: Butler Preview

Postby skyhops » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:09 pm

Agree with you MM and you can add Naji to the list of "high" dribblers. Q and Scruggs played like they had borrowed some of AH's Acapulco Gold. So careless
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:05 am

xavier71 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:09 pm
Would have been a great win. I can't believe the mental errors, especially by players who have played 3 or 4 years. Completely dumbfounded by TS letting the clock run down from 59 to 29 when down 3 possesions. Even 8th grade coaches know that, at that point, the clock is your enemy. Don't know if Scruggs' playing in front of family had anything to do with going 1 for 9. What I do know is that he is in a shooting slump. First 5 Big East games he shot 55%. Last 7 he is shooting 31%.
Completely dumbfounded by TS letting the clock run down from 59 to 29 when down 3 possesions.
Your observation was the most stunning indictment of T'S inexperience. It's his 2nd year, and he's obviously still getting his sea legs. What he did letting Butler burn 30 seconds off the clock down 3 possessions (and possibly four if Butler hits a three) was akin to a coach being down 3 touchdowns with 10 minutes left, and playing prevent defense while the opponent runs for 4 yards every play. Also, tasking his most complete but foul prone player in Scruggs, guard one of the best offensive players in the league, predictably caused him to get two quick fouls, causing him to miss about 8-10 minutes of the half, and rendering him ineffective the rest of the game. Steele does deserve credit for not doing what he normally does and sitting him out the rest of the half.

I liked the idea of putting Marshall on McDermott or Tucker, because they're talented wings. However, instead of having 3 linebackers starting against a team playing three wide receivers meant either Scruggs or Marshall had to guard Baldwin, instead of say....Jones, Carter, or Freemantle. Either Goodin or Moore (preferred) should have started instead of Freemantle or Carter. The same thing could be said in games against Mquette, Creigton (4x total), or any other team who doesn't play with three bigs (which no team in the BE, and very few in the NCAAs does). It would be different if that lineup punished the teams they played by scoring in bunches down low, but this hasn't been the case. The extra rebounds aren't worth the mismatches created on defense. I hope he doesn't trot this same lineup out against the Johnnies, who beat Porvidence with their 4 guard lineup.

Steele has made some nice adjustments this year, like playing Q less (though I think that was due more to the criticism and boos heaped on Q, which I hated hearing at Cintas), and playing Carter only 19 minutes against Butler. I have been the biggest supporter for Carter, but he is not a high major caliber four. I don't know if he is just having a bad year, or his numbers at Ohio U was due to the fact that......he played at Ohio U. Either way, playing two bigs max, or having Marshall play the four should be the lineup going forward.
xavier71

Postby xavier71 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:51 pm

Both the big and the small lineup have pros and cons so I'm not defending either one. What I will say is, if you play the big lineup, you better dominate the glass on both ends and you need to take advantage of the mismatches, which we don't do. With the big lineup against 3 guards, both Marshall and Carter are going to have small guards on them yet we don't take advantage of the mismatch. Marshall spends too much time on the 3 point line and our offense has Carter standing in the corner.
What this team lacks is a point guard (Goodin played his way to the bench). So you have 2 options. Play Goodin and suffer with poor shooting, bad decision making, mental errors and poor defense or you play Scruggs or Tandy at the one, not ideal, but by far the better option. If I was TS, I would be looking for a true point guard graduate transfer. I know we have a point guard recruit coming in, but seeing how Tandy struggled this year, you never know about freshman. Assuming Marshall leaves, next years starting lineup could be: Freemantle 5, Carter 4, Scruggs 3, Tandy 2 and Unknown at 1. Not a bad lineup, but you better have a good true point guard.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:00 pm

The Q ship has sailed. If he doesn’t have four years in then he is not going to get. Time for Tandy and Scruggs as well as some Moore. Agree on big lineup. No reason for it it we won’t utilize Naji and Carter on smaller players, but not sure Carter has the touch post up.
X-lucidity

Postby X-lucidity » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:19 pm

Most times, b-ball aint all that complicated when we get to this stage of a season. Roles are defined as are rotations. Sure you can tweak a bit but it mostly is what it is as late Feb rolls up. Our big lineup is fine and dandy as a change of pace but I feel Carter is not dominant enough to really make that rotation a staple. Paul is lost at PG so let's keep him predominantly at the "2" and even the "3" when we go small. That leaves Tandy and Q for the point. Q just needs to know when his 3's are falling and continue to take them when open on those nights. On most nights, when they are not, he needs to learn to pump fake and drive or make that one extra pass. Easier said than done though when apparently our B-ball IQ is individually and collectively challenged to say the least. We play in a super tough league and have shown improvement. I am not dismayed by the loss at Butler. Why?? Because our winning formula lately is not difficult to spell out. Assuming our D energy and rebounding continue, most of our other components are fairly predictable. In crucial games and even more crucial upcoming 4 minute wars, X will flourish or crash on one factor: The Scruggernaught...
When Paul is confident and hitting his shots, we can beat anyone in the BE. When he is cold, we can lose to the Johnnies. I know what I am going to get from Naji, from T-Jones, from Zach & Carter. Paul has been somewhat of a roller coaster. Love the kid, never question his heart or efforts, is what it is at this critical point of the season. Let's go on a mighty stretch run boys!!
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:15 pm

skyhops wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:09 pm
Agree with you MM and you can add Naji to the list of "high" dribblers. Q and Scruggs played like they had borrowed some of AH's Acapulco Gold. So careless
Naji is our biggest culprit in this category. He dribbles almost up to his shoulder 80% of the time. it's unreal that he doesn't lose it more often.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:50 pm

longliveskip wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:15 pm
skyhops wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:09 pm
Naji is our biggest culprit in this category. He dribbles almost up to his shoulder 80% of the time. it's unreal that he doesn't lose it more often.
Not to mention Paul and Naji like to spin when it is not necessary. Take it to the opponent and draw the foul. Quit the Kobe fade, you are not Kobe.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”