FATHER MIKE GRAHAM

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
edgecliff hall

FATHER MIKE GRAHAM

Postby edgecliff hall » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:57 am

Hoops reports Mike Graham is "stepping down" as of June of Next Year. Gosh Darn!
joeabe

Re: FATHER MIKE GRAHAM

Postby joeabe » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:01 pm

I cannot tell by your post.....Question: is Father G liked by students, alumn etc??
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:35 pm

I can't speak for the students, or the alums, or the etc. I can only speak for myself. He is loved by me. He is the second of two GREAT Xavier Presidents who saved Xavier and turned it around. And I am sure as heck sorry to see him go.
Sincerely,
John Grissmer XU 1955
aka Edgecliff Hall
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:23 am

I too feel he is a real plus for our Alma Mater!!! I met him years ago when he was Fr Hoff's assistant. I had the honor to serve on the first Alumni Board at the request of Fr Hoff. Fr Hoff told me he thought he needed to retire and move Fr G up to the top position or X was going to lose him to another Jesuit school that wanted him badly. He said Fr G had too much talent, energy and passion not to promote him. Thank God Fr H made the decision.....
edgecliff hall

Postby edgecliff hall » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:59 am

Your comments are right on, Joeabe. I too was a friend of Father Hoff, and served on his advisory board. What a pair these two high quality Jesuits were, a dynamic one two punch. Xavier was truly blessed to have them.
A Jim Hoff story. Back in the mid nineties, I guest directed for Xavier Players a production of Shaw's Saint Joan, a big, demanding, talky play. Father Hoff loved to congratulate any kind of Xavier performer, singers, dancers, actors, and of course, basketball players. So after one performance of Saint Joan, I was not surprised to see him show up in the gathering room where the Players were unwinding. The first player he saw was a tall young woman in a tacky bathrobe. He face was streaked with sweat and make-up. Her hair was a total mess from wearing a heavy wig for two hours. She was tired and she looked not so hot.
Jim walked up to her. "And who were you in the play?"
He was talking to Alxes Wesley, one of the finest actors ever to walk on a Xavier stage. She gave him a tired smile.
"I was Saint Joan," she said.
Not missing a beat Jim gave her a big hug. "Oh you were wonderful " he said. "You were all so wonderful."
MOSQUETERO

Postby MOSQUETERO » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:44 pm

Father Graham was the RA in Brockman Hall my freshman year 1984-85. Excellent Jesuit better human being.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:08 pm

X has hit two home runs in a row. Let's make it three.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:09 pm

X has hit two home runs in a row. Let's make it three.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”