Should Pat Kelsey be Xavier's coach???

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
Xavier2005

Should Pat Kelsey be Xavier's coach???

Postby Xavier2005 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:35 pm

Pat Kelsey has been a Head coach at Winthrop for years . His record for winning is about 69% and his teams usually finish 1st , 2nd, or 3rd in their conference. Why not Coach Kelsey for Xavier????
Last edited by Xavier2005 on Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anti-Homer

Re: Pat Kelsey as Xavier coach???

Postby Anti-Homer » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:38 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:35 pm
Pat Kelsey as been a Head coach at Winthrop for years . His record for winning is about 69% and his teams usually finish 1st , 2nd, or 3rd in their conference. Why not Coach Kelsey for Xavier????
Why would we? T Steele will be fine. When Mack spent a year cheating on X with Louisville, which resulted in a historically bad recruiting class , X could easily have had its worst year in decades last year, but TS pulled two GT.s (one very good and one decent one) out of his hat. He also signed tremendous classes in back to back years. I think a lot of people rightfully have questioned some of his decision making, which is something he shares with fan bases of every school in the country.

No one can question his passionn dedication, or intensity. If X is still on a downward trend in year four, then the administration will have to do some serious soul searching. Way too early now. It's not like the season sucks either. It's trending below expectation, but I'd rather be X than AZ, who have three potential first round picks and will be a popular upset pick in round one of the NCAA tourney. AH is still optimistic overall about the hire. so sleep well tonight my friend.
TheX-Man

Postby TheX-Man » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:20 am

I'm not impressed with Steele. He gets a pass for last year with a limited roster and the multiple grad transfers he had to recruit to field a team. But I don't give him a pass this year. Four holdovers from a team that was a #1 seed two years ago plus a solid recruiting class. No excuse to not make the NCAA field this year.

I'm convinced that if Mack, Miller, or Matta were coaching the 2020 Muskies, they would already have earned their way into the field and we wouldn't be sweating selection Sunday. All three of those coaches were better game managers than Steele. If X ends up in the NIT again, I consider that an indictment against Steele and he should rightfully be on the hot seat entering next year if that's what happens.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:48 am

delete this thread immediately. it's ridiculous. unless Kelsey wants to take a paycut and come back here as an asst, you aren't seeing him as a coach on the sideline at Cintas.

look, every coach has flaws. Steele has barely gotten his feet wet as a head coach.

there's no reason to even entertain this nonsense.

get behind him.

get behind our boys.

we will be fine.

LET'S GO X!
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:28 am

Winthrop and Pat Kelsey are going to the Dance.....they won their conference tournament. Kelsey has many years as a Head Coach...Steele has 2 years now and not much results.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:44 am

I love most of AH’s insight but you must be eating some of those special gummy bears again. Steele has the least amount of intensity of any coach in the BE besides maybe Ewing. I heard Steele and WLW followed by Kelsey and Kelsey was 100 times as intense as Steele. Kelsey wanted the job (there was an item that could have held him back), but Steele was going to be there choice. I know many in Cincy that have told me that Kelsey would have to improve recruiting but is 10 times the game coach and is a local boy and alum. Steele still thinks that the media has been against them all year but I guess he forgets we’re they were picked in BE and top 20 preseason. I do feel we win at least the Butler game with Scruggs. I guess Kelseys father in law doesn’t give as much money as Steeles.
longliveskip

Postby longliveskip » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:03 am

skyhops wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:44 am
I love most of AH’s insight but you must be eating some of those special gummy bears again. Steele has the least amount of intensity of any coach in the BE besides maybe Ewing. I heard Steele and WLW followed by Kelsey and Kelsey was 100 times as intense as Steele. Kelsey wanted the job (there was an item that could have held him back), but Steele was going to be there choice. I know many in Cincy that have told me that Kelsey would have to improve recruiting but is 10 times the game coach and is a local boy and alum. Steele still thinks that the media has been against them all year but I guess he forgets we’re they were picked in BE and top 20 preseason. I do feel we win at least the Butler game with Scruggs. I guess Kelseys father in law doesn’t give as much money as Steeles.
Kelsey has taken Winthrop to the NCAA tourney 2 of the last 4 years. i'm guessing if he did that at Xavier this board would be SO HAPPY and just be in love with Kelsey as a coach.

guess what??? you wouldn't. you'd be calling for his head just like some people on here are with Steele.

it's ridiculous how anyone on here can even say things like "Kelsey is such a better in game coach and is 100 times as intense as Steele, etc." how in the world would ANY of us know? from watching a couple games on TV? puuuuuuhlease.

it's just ludricrous to me how much these message boards, social media, etc all have the answers from their couches but probably couldn't dribble 90 feet without falling over or dribbling off their foot out of bounds.

i get it - it's opinions on here. doesn't make them true or fact. you can interpret all you want but here's the truth:

if Kelsey went to NCAA 2 out of 4 years you'd want him fired as well. no one is ever satisfied and always has a better answer for what Xavier SHOULD have done or what the coach should have done.

enjoy your MMQB'ing from the recliner. maybe Christopher or Steele get on here for advice so they can make the right decisions moving forward. if not, send them an email with your suggestions. let me know if they respond.
muskienick

Postby muskienick » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:07 am

Xavier2005 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:35 pm
Pat Kelsey has been a Head coach at Winthrop for years . His record for winning is about 69% and his teams usually finish 1st , 2nd, or 3rd in their conference. Why not Coach Kelsey for Xavier????
The difference between Winthrop's Conference and the Big East is monumental. The difference between Kelsey's long tenure at Winthrop and Coach Steel's 1.5 year's of recruiting his own players is strikingly evident to those who understand how success is achieved in D-1 Men's basketball. Check the record for how many seasons it took for our most successful recent coaches to get ranked in the AP. Coach Steele should have a minimum of at least two more seasons to establish himself as being worthy to rank among the Mattas, Millers, and Macks who all went on to bigger and better things.
Fathers James Hoff and Michael Graham, AD Mike Bobinski, and Head Coaches Staak, Gillen, Prosser, Matta, Miller, & Mack represent a Golden Era of Xavier Men's Basketball. AD Christopher and Head Coach Steele will bring us to an even higher level!
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:35 am

Why is it wrong to say is more intense, that is a fact. I hope things change but the deer in the headlights from Steele is getting not to mention the hot mix that showed him not knowing who had the ball and who was in the game against CU. Steele has had top 25 recruits the last two years and veteran teams, I’ll give him another to get “his players” then it’s time to get nervous. Watch Kelseys up tempo offense and tell me his doesn’t have a better offense than Steele (still no rich father in-law donor though). I guess I just have higher Xpectations.
lovedschmidt

Postby lovedschmidt » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:04 am

I think in 2018 Xavier was on the map like it never had been before. Big time conference with a big TV contract. So why continue with the same old in house recruiting? They claim there was a national search, but that job was Steele's the day Mack bolted.
I'm not giving up on Steele or this season, but when you get handed the keys you need to do a better job of driving.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”