Should Pat Kelsey be Xavier's coach???

Talk XU Men's basketball here...
longliveskip

Re: Pat Kelsey as Xavier coach???

Postby longliveskip » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:37 am

skyhops wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:35 am
Why is it wrong to say is more intense, that is a fact. I hope things change but the deer in the headlights from Steele is getting not to mention the hot mix that showed him not knowing who had the ball and who was in the game against CU. Steele has had top 25 recruits the last two years and veteran teams, I’ll give him another to get “his players” then it’s time to get nervous. Watch Kelseys up tempo offense and tell me his doesn’t have a better offense than Steele (still no rich father in-law donor though). I guess I just have higher Xpectations.
i'm fine with high expectations but throwing Steele under the bus this early is not the answer. finding one small minute detail in one game doesn't define Steele as a coach yet you use that as him being a "deer in headlights". what if you made one small mistake at whatever job you have and then had every stockholder ready to fire you for that??? doesn't make sense.

what kind of recruits did Steele have TWO years ago??? those weren't HIS besides Welage and Hankins. he's had ONE class he's been able to recruit on his own and i'd say he's gotten A LOT out of the dudes that have been healthy which are Carter, KyKy, and Freemantle.

Kelsey's up tempo offense would not and cannot equate or make the jump to the BE. he can do it in his conference because his opponents aren't as good as defensive teams. and it would take him at least 4 years to recruit guys that would be able to handle that type of tempo vs the BE.

Steele can't run that type of offense with the guys he has because he doesn't have HIS guys yet. he knows who he has and what kind of players they are right now. he knew from the end of last season that this team's defense would be what carried them and that if they bought into defending, they should be in pretty much every game, and minus a couple, they have been. he knew they wouldn't be able to outscore teams so he''s taken them from like a KENPOM DEF rating of 90 last season to in the teens this season. that is a HUGE jump. that's why we still have a shot at the NCAA tournament. that's called COACHING.

once again, if you THINK Kelsey is more intense than Steele, that's fine. that's YOUR opinion. doesn't make it true from watching a couple games and listening to one interview. but that's fine.
joeabe

Postby joeabe » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:23 pm

I am all for giving TS more rope. I observe a team playing hard at times not so smart or efficient. Missing foul shots, turning the ball over, shooting high risk shots at critical point in games, challenged offensively as a team and most importantly no team leader on the court as in a point guard. This season seems like watching ground hog day as the same mistakes are being made every game. I don't know if its coaching or players are not capable. I really thought our guard play would be much better this season. He deserves more time as this league is most difficult from top to bottom from coaches to players. As my buddy says " that ole boy got his plow in some hard ground"!
Let's roll in the BE tourney with a couple of wins and see if we get a shot in the Big Dance!! Go Xavier, Go Travis!!!
thecoach

Postby thecoach » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:00 pm

Yep, he deserves 3 full years to show some positive movement. In my view, this isn't all wins and losses. I expect him to retain the recruits and players he gets, with little attrition. I've for years(and have taken lumps for it) harped on this topic as i believe it's a big factor in sustaining success. Guys just have not panned out/stuck around in numbers long enough to sustain top level results, particularly when moving up in conference strength. The grad transfer and guys leaving early can be absorbed by a limited number of schools who win year in and year out. X isn't at that level yet. You need 4 year kids in large majority in my opinion to sustain things. That means bringing in guys who fit, giving them minutes even when it may be a short term loser, and keeping them here. Some good movement, some i'm a little concerned about. Time will tell.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:20 pm

I always enjoy reading the logic of why someone else would be a better coach than the one a team has. Just in the Cincinnati area, the coach of every team is far worse than this guy or that guy someone throws out. Just what makes you think Pat would be a good coach for X? Because he has won the Big South Conference, THIS year. Could it be because he has won two Big South season championships since 2012? Could this be better than the 8 times they went to the NCAA tourney from 2000 to 2010? I like Pat a lot but he seems happy and my guess if he read this board e might think what if I have a couple down years will they e calling for my head? Xavier2005 are you on the OSU boards calling for their head coach's head?
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:16 pm

I’ll give Steele another as well. I do like Pat and feel he would have been a great fit. Just tired of underachieving, but I guess down on her don’t mind.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:54 pm

I think it is more difficult to win the one bid at a small conference vs the six and a major conference.
muskieman

Postby muskieman » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:18 pm

skyhops wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:54 pm
I think it is more difficult to win the one bid at a small conference vs the six and a major conference.
Then why did the coach before Pat win so many times and got to the NCAA so many times? I like Pat too and have watched his games for many years but I don't see anything that makes him stand above Travis. Pat if you read this keep in mind these fans will be all over you for your team shooting in the 63% range.
I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em.
skyhops

Postby skyhops » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:12 pm

Steele hasn’t done anything in two years. We will win 19 and 20 games with a good roster. What will suddenly happen next year that will make him a good in game coach? I think hiring the associate head coach might have finally not worked. A good coach is a good coach no matter what size the school. But then again I seem to have higher xpextations for this program
Xavier2005

Postby Xavier2005 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:37 pm

Even if Steele achieves for 2 straight years, he would be gone to another high paying school ,and X would start over again with another coach ...as always. Always a new coach if the coach succeeds, because X will never pay enough to keep a great coach.
Anti-Homer

Postby Anti-Homer » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:02 pm

Xavier2005 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:37 pm
Even if Steele achieves for 2 straight years, he would be gone to another high paying school ,and X would start over again with another coach ...as always. Always a new coach if the coach succeeds, because X will never pay enough to keep a great coach.
Comparing apples to oranges. X is now in a top tier league, and while they can't pay a top 20 salary, they can come close. The last two coaches left for two of the top ten programs in CBB. It's not like either left for Vanderbilt. When that happens, I'll start to worry.

Return to “Xavier Men's Basketball”